TechSpot

Microsoft reveals updated Windows Live Essentials suite

By Matthew
Jun 3, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Microsoft has previewed a major refresh to its freely downloadable Windows Live Essentials suite, which includes Photo Gallery, Movie Maker, Messenger, Mail, Sync and others. According to CNET, Redmond hopes the overhaul will make Windows more appealing to consumers during this year's holiday season since no significant updates are planned for the OS itself.

Read the whole story
  2. KG363

KG363 TS Enthusiast Posts: 524   +9

Make Windows live better than iLife and there will be no competition. I want iMovie quality moviemaker
  3. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 843   +11

This facial recognition stuff is getting really crazy in just free software, like this one and in Picasa, and I know at least in Picasa its very accurate. I have even seen free software that does facial recognition for a password on your computer, and is supposed to even work if you shave off your beard, or get a hair cut. I have to wonder how insanely accurate facial recognition is getting in professional software.
  4. skitzo_zac

skitzo_zac TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 459

Great to see MS updating it's applications and making it's platform better for everyone.

Although "Mail will let you manage multiple email accounts" I know for a fact that the Windows Live Mail client has been able to do this for a while. I have been using it for months now and sync 2 different email accounts with it.
  5. matrix86

matrix86 TS Maniac Posts: 802   +8

It would be really nice if they supported XP for this. Not everyone is rich enough to afford a new computer that can handle Win7.
  6. I see what you mean, those are some steep requirments for Windows 7:

■1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

■1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)

■16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

■DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

I have installed Windows 7 on many "low end" computers that ran it fine. The most frequent problem I have is with integrated video not supporting Aero. But the systems all still function exceptionally well, and it is not difficult to get many non XP drivers to work just fine with 7. Also remember that if you had a .edu email account you were able to get Windows 7 for $30 last year, or $50 without an account (preorder sale). Many universities handed out 7 for free as well. It's not like you HAVE to drop $900 on a core i7 system just to enjoy Windows 7. So that my comment isn't JUST me being a *******, what specs do you have that you are unable to run 7 with? Did you simply run into compatibility issues? If you are willing to build a system I can find some bundles that would let you run 7 with aero enabled for >$400(tower hardware only, with OS).
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.