Microsoft says free money scams are most commonly encountered

By Shawn Knight
Oct 16, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft has released results from a recent survey as part of a campaign to promote National Cyber Security Awareness Month. The questionnaire reveals that the phrase "Congratulation, you've won!" or something related to lottery winnings is the most popular line...

Read more
  2. The questionnaire reveals that the phrase “Congratulation, you’ve won!” or something related to lottery winnings is the most popular line used to lure unsuspecting people to online scams.

This Is also the first stuff to go Into my trash can.
  3. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,106   +1,376

My trash can get over-bloated with scam emails. It has reached 1000 a day. It is filtered automatically, at least in 99% of all cases, but man, you can see how internet is wasted by scam.

Uneducated users don't stand a chance. Ignorance is on a prowl.
  4. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

There's a big difference between the most common scam encountered and the most effective scam, I.e., the scam that fools the most people, althought the list is probably pretty similar.
  5. BlueDrake

BlueDrake TS Evangelist Posts: 344   +101

One really common thing I've seen for scams, have been the whole World of Warcraft phishing emails. I have my filter on max to catch anything, and then add what I need to my safe list. If something offers links in an email, the best thing is not only look for the "padlock" (HTTPS). Also look at the links to verify, if it's a true blue legit address. If need to be do a WHOIS checking, seeing as many fall for usually new websites.

Sometimes you see say.. in the email and think it's legit. It could be kind of method, which fools so many people. If possible I forward such phishing emails, to sites that want such phishing emails mostly for studying. I got at least 3 PayPal scam emails, it looks legit until you highlight the address. Which shows the scam address, when you click the link.

I'm always skeptical of emails. Especially from friends, when it looks pre-generated. There's no amount of caution I don't put into reading spam emails, when they don't look like legit emails to begin with. Could show say.. in the email, but it could link to some foreign website. So I always catch the scammers, before I even make an effort to click a link.
  6. The term “Internet Scams” commonly refers to any sort of scam scheme that uses a single or much far more on the net services to present fraudulent solicitations to prospective victims, to conduct fraudulent transactions, or to transmit the proceeds of fraud to monetary institutions or to others connected making use of the structure. Techspot makes it effortless for you to establish which websites are credible and who are scams.
  7. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,455   +1,759

Yes, and they're most often encountered by people who are still running M$'s IE-6....:eek: