Microsoft says Google Shopping customers are getting 'Scroogled'

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft has launched a new holiday campaign designed to show Google users how Google Shopping really works. It’s called “Scroogled” and in short, Microsoft aims to point out how the search giant’s shopping portal went from showing relevant results to displaying nothing but paid advertisements.

As it turns out, there’s a good bit of truth to the Microsoft campaign. In May, Google changed how their shopping portal works. The new commercialized Google Shopping only displays results from merchants that have agreed to pay them on a per-transaction or a per-click basis. What this means essentially is that you’ll never see true, fully relevant search results but paid ads instead.

microsoft google scroogle

At the time, Google vice president of product management Sameer Samat said that having a commercial relationship with merchants will encourage them to keep their product information fresh and up to date. He said that higher quality data should translate to a better shopping experience which will in turn create higher quality traffic for merchants.

Microsoft likely coined the term Scroogled by combining “screwed” and “Google” or maybe even “scrooge.” As Redmond notes, when you limit choices and rank them by payment, consumers get Scroogled. Not surprisingly, Microsoft suggests that consumers use Bing to search for gifts this holiday season.

The company appears committed to their shopping initiative, promising customers that they won’t switch to a pay-to-rank model that allows some products to appear higher than others. That may or may not change over the long term but it’s the stance Microsoft is taking for now.

Permalink to story.

Shawn, definitely Scrooge + Google. Think of the time of year, the connotation of the name Scrooge (he was a greedy bastard). Definitely not screwed.

Extremely sad move on micro$oft's part plus who would want to buy from someone who has little to no sales? me thinks its better to buy something you will get rather then buying something you wont get.

It doesn't bother me the tactic that google is using as atleast you know its better then those dodgy ebay type deals "buy a i7 3930k for $30 9month delivery!" Yes... those deals do exist thank god I dont see them tho! Used to but not now :)

I am an experienced user and used this service a few times & never knew they do it, well its not very elegant how Microsoft exposed it but I'm glad they did that. Well I actually wouldn't expect anything else from Google :)

btw
I would be really happy to see Bing going head to head with google, some rivality would do them good

Google has faked WOT Rating of the site. Google has openly done another mistake. This will surely be another hit on Google's Head!

Scroogle was already coined by the website of the same name that gave you search result from google without having you tracked and traced.

This is not a portmanteau of Microsoft's creation...

Just use DuckDuckGo instead of Google and Bing, if you want true results. As a bonus they don't track you.

On the one hand some services are better, or indeed worse, than other services, but on the other hand there are four fingers and a thumb - and after all, at the end of the day, the sun goes down and it gets dark.

On the one hand some services are better, or indeed worse, than other services, but on the other hand there are four fingers and a thumb - and after all, at the end of the day, the sun goes down and it gets dark.

That doesn't make much sense. You're examining the expression a little too closely; the hyperlink was merely there to give context.

Either way, "on the other hand" is synonymous with: but, however, still, then again, yet, looking at it the other way, conversely, and vice versa.

So not only I have no idea what you're talking about, but I find it bizarre we're even talking about something so petty.

It makes perfect sense, I made a joke, you didn't get it.
I expect you are bound to find it petty if you don't understand it, even the cleverest statement in the world will sound hollow if you don't know what it means! (this is not a dig at you, it can apply just as well to me and everyone else:)).

It makes perfect sense, I made a joke, you didn't get it.
I expect you are bound to find it petty if you don't understand it, even the cleverest statement in the world will sound hollow if you don't know what it means! (this is not a dig at you, it can apply just as well to me and everyone else:)).
Reminds me of what one of my Science teachers used to call the "Transmitter/Receiver Problem" - I.e. just because I didn't follow what he said didn't necessarily mean he was talking rubbish!

Reminds me of what one of my Science teachers used to call the "Transmitter/Receiver Problem" - I.e. just because I didn't follow what he said didn't necessarily mean he was talking rubbish!
Excellent analogy, or how about if someone Japanese that knows no French is speaking with someone French who knows no Japanese, they must both be moronic because they can't understand one another (mustn't they?) :p Although I just realised that is only a special case of your science teacher's general one. :D

Back