Microsoft says users can now uninstall OneDrive in Windows for good

Alfonso Maruccia

Staff
In a nutshell: Microsoft has been pushing OneDrive as the standard cloud storage solution for Windows for quite some time, to the point of user annoyance. The company usually tries everything it can to hinder user's choice on how to deal with the service, but things are seemingly starting to change.

Microsoft now offers detailed instructions on how to disable or even uninstall the native OneDrive application on Windows once and for all. Despite its previous efforts to encourage users to adopt its cloud storage solution – going so far as to prompt users who quit the OneDrive app – new policy challenges, particularly in the European Union, seem to be impacting Redmond's marketing strategy.

First spotted by Neowin, a new OneDrive troubleshooting guide addresses the proper termination of the service. This step-by-step guide is intended for those who wish to turn off, disable, or uninstall OneDrive. However, Microsoft recommends simply "unlinking" the client as an easier alternative for those who no longer wish to use the service.

After unlinking OneDrive on Windows (or macOS), users will still have access to their files by logging into OneDrive.com. Moreover, OneDrive can be "hidden" or uninstalled, as Microsoft explains, with this option being available on "some versions" of Windows as well as on Android and iOS mobile devices.

The guide contains some contradictory instructions though, initially suggesting that OneDrive is "built" directly into Windows 10/11 and cannot be uninstalled, only hidden. It then clarifies that OneDrive can indeed be safely uninstalled from the system without risking the loss of any data already stored on the service.

Uninstalling OneDrive simply involves navigating to the Windows Settings page for installed apps, locating OneDrive, and selecting Uninstall. This option is available in Windows 10 and 11, the only operating systems for which Microsoft currently offers support. Users on Windows 8.1, however, appear to be unable to remove OneDrive from aging system.

Microsoft's new approach to fierce service and product integration may be a response to Europe's Digital Markets Act (DMA), a legal framework that imposes new obligations on digital gatekeepers. European Windows 11 users can now uninstall various "system" apps, including Bing Search and even Edge, as confirmed by Microsoft – a move previously considered "impossible" due to the so-called deep integration of the web browser and the operating system.

Permalink to story.

I've always disabled One Drive on my computers, but thankfully MS has been kind enough to re-enable/install the One Drive for me when Windows updates are ran. So kind of them, isn't it?

The only real way I've found to keep One Drive from coming back has been to completely disable updates, because screw you MS. I had too many FUBAR issues with your updates in Windows 10. Got Pro versions of Windows now and I just outright disable updates.

I've always disabled One Drive on my computers, but thankfully MS has been kind enough to re-enable/install the One Drive for me when Windows updates are ran. So kind of them, isn't it?

The only real way I've found to keep One Drive from coming back has been to completely disable updates, because screw you MS. I had too many FUBAR issues with your updates in Windows 10. Got Pro versions of Windows now and I just outright disable updates.
Re-enable what exactly? If you don't log into your non-existent sub, it won't do anything.

Re-enable what exactly? If you don't log into your non-existent sub, it won't do anything.
One Drive - after updates it's back and pestering me. Stop the updates and I don't have to worry about all the ****ups that MS creates. I've had too many blue screen failures and loss of data from MS updates in Windows 10 so I don't do them anymore.

Is there a United States v. Microsoft Corp., part 2 on the horizon? You would think there wouldn't need to be one (that Microsoft would've learned its lesson), but here we are. At least Europe is forcing their hand.

Oh, they DID learn their lesson. BEFORE US v MS, they really didn't have any lobbyist in DC.
Now, they have a BUNCH of lobbyist. You know...throwing money to key politicians to get their way.
After all, politicians making 200,000.00 per year, don't get to be millionaires on just that amount of money.

I´m sorry, what?
One of the first things I do after installing is deactivate OneDrive, and among the second is to uninstall it, along with the trash that still remains. This is in the Pro versions of Windows. LTSC saves me from doing this

Last edited:
Oh, they DID learn their lesson. BEFORE US v MS, they really didn't have any lobbyist in DC.
Now, they have a BUNCH of lobbyist. You know...throwing money to key politicians to get their way.
After all, politicians making 200,000.00 per year, don't get to be millionaires on just that amount of money.
Yup, Apple and Google got the memo, too.

Yeah all these tech companies need to come together and agree to pact-of-non-pestering. Get rid of all the super-annoying attempts to move you from your choice to theirs. Using a PC is becoming a constant battle. They are all equally guilty of often very deceptively trying to move you to their browser, search engine, cloud service, home page, email, etc etc.

It would save them all money having to create all this nonsense and do their, pretty sullied, reputations a lot of good.

Well this is a lie. As everyone knows One Drive re-installs with updates and even after uninstalling Word etc. defaults to saving your files to One Drive.

I have seen and tried Registry hacks but they don't appear to work either.

Does anyone know how to remove this monstrosity?

I am sick to death of MS telling me how I use my computer that I bought and paid for with my own money.

Well this is a lie. As everyone knows One Drive re-installs with updates and even after uninstalling Word etc. defaults to saving your files to One Drive.

I am sick to death of MS telling me how I use my computer that I bought and paid for with my own money.
I just checked my Win 10 Home pc and there's no sign of it - I guess I removed it with Geek uninstaller, or BCUninstaller (?) when I got rid of Edge.

I just checked my Win 10 Home pc and there's no sign of it - I guess I removed it with Geek uninstaller, or BCUninstaller (?) when I got rid of Edge.
Hi trgz
I must admit that I tend to steer clear of these apps which claim to clean up and/or uninstall, they don't tend to have a good reputation. I certainly won't be uninstalling Edge because many of my customers use it, but I wonder if Edge is playing a part in this scenario. We all know how much Explorer was intertwined with the OS, could Edge be the same. Is it because you uninstalled Edge that One Drive has entirely disappeared from your PC?

This is AWESOME news!

Wishing all the M$ crapware is not included in the next fresh wind0ws installation ..

plus.. not forcing you create a MS account when installing win etc ...

no more hateware!

Hi trgz
I must admit that I tend to steer clear of these apps which claim to clean up and/or uninstall, they don't tend to have a good reputation. I certainly won't be uninstalling Edge because many of my customers use it, but I wonder if Edge is playing a part in this scenario. We all know how much Explorer was intertwined with the OS, could Edge be the same. Is it because you uninstalled Edge that One Drive has entirely disappeared from your PC?
I seem to recall Edge creeping back in at one point, and having removed it at least twice, but only did OneDrive the once IIRC, so I suspect they're not intertwined as you say, but then I'm not an expert

Well... I just go to One Drive configuration and disabled auto start and also check in Task Manager to make sure it's disabled to auto start... At least One Drive don't show it's face on my desktop or tasktray... Is it still running on background and I'm unware about it?

I'd have less problems with one drive if there was a way to make what it backs up more granular. I've had it backup game save files located in documents and in the process totally screw up Steam's cloud save system. As it is, I don't really need it and prefer to manually back up anything I don't want to lose. So I'll be uninstalling it on all my systems now that I can.

Well... I just go to One Drive configuration and disabled auto start and also check in Task Manager to make sure it's disabled to auto start... At least One Drive don't show it's face on my desktop or tasktray... Is it still running on background and I'm unware about it?
Open Word, create a dummy document and then Save As. If the top of the page is offering you One Drive (as default) it's still running.

I'd have less problems with one drive if there was a way to make what it backs up more granular. I've had it backup game save files located in documents and in the process totally screw up Steam's cloud save system. As it is, I don't really need it and prefer to manually back up anything I don't want to lose. So I'll be uninstalling it on all my systems now that I can.
Ah well, that's the problem, if you read this thread you'll see that it can't be uninstalled!

Open Word, create a dummy document and then Save As. If the top of the page is offering you One Drive (as default) it's still running.
I don't use any MS Office app on my PCs not even online, just Google Docs. I tried on Notepad and I saw onedrive anyway... Good to know.

Back