Microsoft Security Essentials 4.0 released, free anti-virus without the nag

Rick

Staff

Microsoft has just released version 4.0 of its free anti-virus utility, Microsoft Security Essentials. Since MSSE's release in 2009, its effectiveness, speed and features have been well-received. As a result, the anti-virus program enjoys a great deal of popularity in the U.S. and remains a TechSpot Editor's Pick along with two other solid, free AV offerings: Avast! and Avira.

A Microsoft spokesperson had this to say about the new release:

This update to Microsoft Security Essentials is part of the standard product update release cycle. This service update contains product enhancements to improve performance and user experience. We have improved on Microsoft Security Essentials' Automatic Remediation, which will automatically quarantine highly harmful threats without prompting the user to take action as well as minor bug fixes in set up, malware remediation and other areas."

Source: cnet.com

In beta since late 2011, the final release of MSSE 4.0 brings users a familiar but updated interface and "enhanced automatic remediation". In plain English, this means MSSE will now immediately quarantine files that it believes are high-risk, rather than waiting for user intervention. As we have all discovered by now, anti-virus utilities aren't absolutely correct 100 percent of the time, but this feature aims to limit the amount of damage done during the lag time between the introduction of a dangerous file and the user's reaction.

Spynet, which was introduced with Windows Defender in Vista, has been replaced with MAPS (Microsoft Active Protection Services). However, there is no indication this is more than just a name change for the community-based detection service.

The latest release of MSSE is supposed to be pushed out automagically through the Automatic Windows Update service. However, based upon past experiences of others and myself, major MSSE version upgrades have remained a manual installation-only affair. Current MSSE users, especially using 2.0 or earlier, should consider upgrading manually.

Also, in order to install MSSE, your installation of Windows must pass the Windows Genuine Advantage validation. If you're running a pirated version of Windows -- as always -- you do so at your own peril. 

Permalink to story.

I've tried all three editors pick's in the list and after all the years (since 2007) only one remains triumphant: Avira! It is by far the best. It's faster, lighter and most of all it does not cause random things to break like Microsoft Outlook.
What I don't like about MSE is that it updates through windows updates. That's very annoying coz I set my updates to manual on windows

If you're running a pirated version of Windows -- as always -- you do so at your own peril.

Gotta love how that, right there, has become like this thing everyone knows and accepts but do nothing about. I think Microsoft knows the pirated versions of Windows in reality have done nothing but actually help its virus-like widespread across the world.

Security Essentials is (like Hotmail) one of the great freebies MS offers its users and is one of the many reasons Microsoft's tarnished image over the years recently has turned golden.

^And when you do it gives you instructions to use Windows Update.

"[FONT=Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica]However, based upon past experiences of others and myself..."[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica]Such as?[/FONT]

Security Essentials is (like Hotmail) one of the great freebies MS offers its users and is one of the many reasons Microsoft's tarnished image over the years recently has turned golden.

I like MSE a lot too, but you're laying it on a little thick, no?

Not the newest version. When you click...Check for updates...it starts checking for updates.

I like MSE a lot too, but you're laying it on a little thick, no?

Not really. MS is easily taken for granted and all the great stuff it does do is often overlooked, even if there seems to be a growing and respectful appreciation of the company these days.

Now, if Microsoft would only give us something like Garage Band...

When my clients question the MSSE based on its "free" price tag, I tell them to consider it Microsoft's apology for their Windows problems. :)

An AV should be seen and not heard. That's where ever free anti-virus fails, except MSSE. Avira, AVG and Avast will nag you -- and rightfully so, they want your money afterall -- but MSSE??? It sits in the corner like a good little program and doesn't say a peep. You never have to "re-register" it etc...

When my clients question the MSSE based on its "free" price tag, I tell them to consider it Microsoft's apology for their Windows problems. :)

An AV should be seen and not heard. That's where ever free anti-virus fails, except MSSE. Avira, AVG and Avast will nag you -- and rightfully so, they want your money afterall -- but MSSE??? It sits in the corner like a good little program and doesn't say a peep. You never have to "re-register" it etc...

Totally agree, I've tryed other free popular AVs and others are even once configured more intrusive. I just remember I have AV when MSSE stops viruses from my friends USBs, and then it stays quiet. I kind of share a similar opinion to others about "Microsoft's apology", I think they took a right choice after leaving Live OneCare and offering something decent -I know how to clean USB flash memories manually through any program (usually Notepad) and in all times cleanings were done right by MSSE.

The thing I find ironic about it is that there was no middle ground for Microsoft. Around the turn of the century (heh) they were sued and attacked for daring to even bundle a media player with their OS. Them trying to put in a AV suite would be just another nail in the monopoly coffin.

Then overnight, everyone started criticizing MS for not bundling an AV suite with their OS, labeling it a major oversight and vulnerability.

I like it, started using it after AVG started to slow down my system to much.
I doesn't get the best reviews but neither do the other free AV programs.

Whilst for performance - speed - Microsoft has a good score if you look at last months virus protection they scored at the bottom of the table.

After allowing for false positives - Microsoft had none at this time. It was only awarded a ONE Star rating.

Would think that the article needs amending as its giving the incorrect impression of the software.

Avast and others on the two measures is a lot better in my opinion and based upon the results published!

http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_fd_mar2012_intl_en.pdf\

I was a beta tester for this version of MSE and I had no problems at all, everything worked very well. I recommend MSE for your WIndows anti-malware program. I've fixed other computers that used other vendors anti-virus programs and still got malware by using Microsoft Safety Scanner (a stand alone .exe version of MSE).

I tried MSE the other week, but it had a disagreement with some aspect of my system set up. BSOD or unplanned reboot 4 times in 4 hours after installing it, and unable to complete a full scan. It wasn't the 4.0 version though, so maybe I'll try again.

MSE is not as punitive as the BitDefender anti-virus. Been using it so long since time immemorial.

In the spirit of capitalism I almost feel bad for Norton and Mcafee, on second thought, won't lose too much sleep over it. I do like the guy that said its MS apology for all the Windows problems lol!

Indeed. Hotmail together with Skydrive is by FAR the best offering out there, and I've tried them all over the past couple of decades.

must admit microsoft have done great work in recent years with MSE. They deserve credit on stepping up there game.

Free or not, MSSE is just not good enough in tests.
I use the free Comodo instead. Best in tests or as good as Norton.
Comodo though, is NOT easy to understand or use. A smart user will still need a year or so, before they really like Comodo, and know it's functions. You can install it so it's easy to use, and for most that's fine.
I've used most Av over the years, but with Comoo I have never had a single attack, that was not caugh before it could do any harm.
Been using pc's since 1982, and here pc and lap's are on wifi 24/7/365...
But!!! Av is not the pronlem as I see it.
If people use MSSE they often stick with the built in firewall from MS..and that's like asking for trouble.
See the firewall as the frontdoor with locks. You prevent entering if it's good, and if better you also prevent the attacks leaving (in case they try to remove information from you)
The reason Comodo is so good..is spelled firewall.
My advice..close windows built in firewall AND then use "comodo internet security" firewall-av-and defense+(takes care of unknown attacks)
Want to pay for the program? Get norton Internet security..similar to comodo and also very good.
BUT don't use all the crappish av the market is flooded with. Norman, avg etc..Just look at serious tests and you'll understand.
(There are some good programs beside those above! But trying to be serious..I won't pretend knowing those I don't use. Here I just have to trust the tests)

Free or not, MSSE is just not good enough in tests.
I use the free Comodo instead. Best in tests or as good as Norton.
Comodo though, is NOT easy to understand or use. A smart user will still need a year or so, before they really like Comodo, and know it's functions. You can install it so it's easy to use, and for most that's fine.
I've used most Av over the years, but with Comoo I have never had a single attack, that was not caugh before it could do any harm.
Been using pc's since 1982, and here pc and lap's are on wifi 24/7/365...
But!!! Av is not the pronlem as I see it.
If people use MSSE they often stick with the built in firewall from MS..and that's like asking for trouble.
See the firewall as the frontdoor with locks. You prevent entering if it's good, and if better you also prevent the attacks leaving (in case they try to remove information from you)
The reason Comodo is so good..is spelled firewall.
My advice..close windows built in firewall AND then use "comodo internet security" firewall-av-and defense+(takes care of unknown attacks)
Want to pay for the program? Get norton Internet security..similar to comodo and also very good.
BUT don't use all the crappish av the market is flooded with. Norman, avg etc..Just look at serious tests and you'll understand.
(There are some good programs beside those above! But trying to be serious..I won't pretend knowing those I don't use. Here I just have to trust the tests)
I wish that AV test data would hold my attention for more than about 30 seconds. After that I wish that guests would refrain from believing that long winded posts such as this would make them creditable and 100% correct..

The trouble is I already know how fire walls work, so that part of the discourse is unnecassary, at least from my point of view.

I keep telling everybody that AVG Free does a bang up job, doesn't give me a stich of trouble, is easy to use, and most importantly, protects my computer in stellar fashion.

Where my approach differs is that I simply don't care what you use, nor am I at all likely to try and convince you to convert to my security methods.

No MSE, thanks. Avira works for me. And I'm among the population that refuses to pay for crap. Why pay $79 when you can get twice the protection for free?

Back