TechSpot

Microsoft Security Essentials now free for small businesses

By Emil
Oct 7, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. As announced last month, Microsoft has now changed its licensing terms for Microsoft Security Essentials, making it available for small businesses on up to 10 PCs. That means small business owners that operate outside of the home will be able to download and install Microsoft Security Essentials legally and for free to protect their computers from malware.

Read the whole story
  2. Vipre antivirus is superior to most every antivirus i have tried.
  3. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 412   +42

Avira antivir - using it for 3 years and for 3 years been virus free. Stuck the nastiest flash drives into my PC in that time and still safe!
  4. albertjkruger

albertjkruger TS Member Posts: 18

Used in the past: Norton (resource-hungry)
    Avast! Free (Doesn't do scheduled scans and pauses the scanning as soon
    as finds malware, waiting for you to tell it what to do)

Now using: Microsoft Security Essentials (takes a bit too long to do a full scan, but otherwise it's a
    great product!)
  5. bugejakurt

bugejakurt TS Booster Posts: 133

I use MSE its great and remains silent!
  6. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 875   +130

this :)
  7. mattfrompa

mattfrompa TS Maniac Posts: 481   +8

Avast! 5 can scan every time your computer goes to screensaver mode.
  8. DSP8000

DSP8000 TS Rookie

Good on them. With the latest release of the Windows Live Essentials Suite and Microsoft Security Essentials available to small businesses, this will be huge benefit to any user of Windows. Looks like they really have listened this time. I recommend MSE to any of my clients an so far I have been receiving only positive feedback. I have used it from the early days of the beta 1 and to be honest it has come a long way from then. Very usable AV solution that does what it promises.

Regards,
    Ivan K.
  9. Andy Conroy

Andy Conroy TS Rookie

I've used Panda AV for about 5 years but got fed up with annual price hikes and the 2010 version was unstable on all 3 of my computers. I switched to MSE 3 months ago and have been very pleased. All 3 machines are quicker especially on browsing. Well done Microsoft.
  10. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 412   +42

panda is horrible. tried it and my PC started struggling. And it missed something which Avira picked up after i installed that.
  11. B00kWyrm

B00kWyrm TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,550   +18

How does MSE stack up for effectiveness, as compared to Avira, Avast, etc?

Two Comments:
    • Low rate of false positives, very user friendly, light on resources, clean interface
    • Detection rates slightly lower than AntiVir, slow at scanning and removing malware

For now, for home use, I think I will stay with Avira.
    Nice to see they are offering the option for small business though!
    Avira - 353.43 € /year :(

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.