Microsoft sells 1.5 million Windows Phone 7 devices in six weeks

Emil

Staff

Microsoft has announced that it has sold over 1.5 million Windows Phone 7 devices through its various partners in the first six weeks the mobile operating system has been on the market. This is the first time the software giant has revealed sales numbers; until now, the company has been avoiding the question, leading many to believe the results were abysmal.

Microsoft says these early sales figures meet the company's expectations for a new mobile OS in an already crowded market. The company is working on multiple updates to Windows Phone 7, the first of which is rumored to be landing next month.

It's important to note that the 1.5 million number represents sales of Windows Phone 7 devices from OEMs to carriers, as opposed to devices sold from carriers to customers. Windows Phone 7 devices went on sale in Europe on October 21 and in the US on November 8. In the US, AT&T and T-Mobile offer Windows Phone 7 GSM devices. In January 2011, Verizon and Sprint are expected to begin selling CDMA Windows Phone 7 devices.

"I think our expectations are realistic for a new platform," Achim Berg, Microsoft's vice president of business and marketing for Windows Phones, said in a statement. "We started fresh with Windows Phone 7, and it's a different kind of phone. Measuring for success is more long term than short term. We launched with many of the top mobile operators in the world, and even more in the coming year in 2011. We have 18,000 developers who are developing for our marketplace. It's just getting better and better."

Permalink to story.

Well the figures aren't bad at all, as I've noted before they need to work their ***** off to complete the OS, it have a good feel and much cleaner look than Android, but until they bring it on par with other mobile OS options, I'll be holding on to my plans to switch to WP7 device.

Who knows how many of those phones sold to carriers were actually sold to customers, nice way to inflate sales MS and generate some deceiving news around the web. Classy as always.

It is a shame that the HTC HD7 I have purchased is so dissappointing at the moment. I am going to send it back as I had 14 days to consider and see if the patches in January improve it. So far the faults I have found are:-

1. Pressing on the buttons at the bottom of the screen with any force makes the lcd screen pulse black circles in the bottom left corner. Not very well made

2. Cannot join hidden networks at all. No options to manually enter networks

3. Keyboard is almost too sensitive and I constantly type wrong characters even when I take my time

4. No flash. No HTML5. No BBC iPlayer

5. Facebook app is poor. MSN app is not complete. Better alternative is made by a 3rd party

6. People tab is a mess. Shows you lots but functionality is limited

7. Takes many steps to make a phone call. Unlock phone, enter passcode, press phone tab, press contact button, press search button, type in 1 or 2 or 3 letters to narrow people down as facebook/msn/outlook contacts are all in the one list. If you havent hit the wrong letter then scroll down to the right person, press name, press phone number to make call. I lose count of how many times I have nearly wandered into traffic trying to get to a number.

8. Phone turns off randomly in my pocket. I take it out and its on the HTC logo screen loading up as if it was powered off.

9. Phone does not ring very loudly. I have yet to hear a call coming in if the phone is in my pocket and there is any environmental noise at all. I HAVE felt it vibrate but the ring never gets my attention.

10. The 5 megapixel camera is AWFUL. Blurry, nowhere near as sharp as the Iphone 3G camera even tho this has autofocus, spot metering etc. Pictures are better with flash but green tinges and bad white balance in most photos I have taken. Video is alright so its maybe software related but currently its just shockingly bad quality.

11. Uses micro usb instead of mini usb. Has no micro sd slot so no memory expansion.

12. No decent in built mapping application with directions etc at the moment. No Tomtom software. Software support lacking.

I know most of these things are the problem with being an early adopter but the screen being badly made, the keyboard being a nightmare to use quickly, the camera being so bad and the restrictive options to customise most features ruin it for me and I really wanted it to be good as I was looking forward to having a go at writing my own apps for it.

The patches in January and February had better be good but this phone is going back to the shop.

marioestrada said:
Who knows how many of those phones sold to carriers were actually sold to customers, nice way to inflate sales MS and generate some deceiving news around the web. Classy as always.

It isn't deceiving. MS outright said that these are the amounts sold to carriers. Just because some people will refuse to read more than the headline doesn't make it deceiving.

Even so, it proves that many carriers have faith in the OS and that people will adopt it. So it is a good factor to show if it is successful.

1. Pressing on the buttons at the bottom of the screen with any force makes the lcd screen pulse black circles in the bottom left corner. Not very well made

How hard do you press the buttons? Mine only does that in the bottom right corner if I press with quite a force, in all fairness I had alot of trouble with the iPhone and the screen getting damaged the same way.
3. Keyboard is almost too sensitive and I constantly type wrong characters even when I take my time
I agree with this but I get this with all touchscreen phones thanks to my fat fingers.

4. No flash. No HTML5. No BBC iPlayer
Queue the update rumours for next year, yeah it's a while away but Flash is apparently on the agenda, bring on Angry Birds!

5. Facebook app is poor. MSN app is not complete. Better alternative is made by a 3rd party
It lets me update my status, thats about all I want to do, I'm pretty sick of Facebook to be honest.

7. Takes many steps to make a phone call. Unlock phone, enter passcode, press phone tab, press contact button, press search button, type in 1 or 2 or 3 letters to narrow people down as facebook/msn/outlook contacts are all in the one list. If you havent hit the wrong letter then scroll down to the right person, press name, press phone number to make call. I lose count of how many times I have nearly wandered into traffic trying to get to a number.

There are quite a few nifty options they've thrown in like selecting the far left of the screen to automatically go onto select options. I had a problem before when I was searching for a friends number and it came up with their facebook profile details, I couldn't find the number for the life of me.

8. Phone turns off randomly in my pocket. I take it out and its on the HTC logo screen loading up as if it was powered off.

Mine has never done this, seems like you have a dodgey handsight, what with the pressure points as well.

9. Phone does not ring very loudly. I have yet to hear a call coming in if the phone is in my pocket and there is any environmental noise at all. I HAVE felt it vibrate but the ring never gets my attention.
Agreed, the sound is terrible. It NEEDS to be louder. Even my car stereo hardly picks it up, when I plug my iPod in I'm deafened because it's turned up too much.

The other stuff left out is just because it doesn't bother me.
I still love the phone, I think it's like Marmite. But I love HTC and was interested in the Windows OS. There's no way I'd have a Samsung. It certainly needs many tweaks, and the apps so far aren't that brilliant. I know in time though it will change. I do hope there will be many tweaker and tinker tools created by 3rd partys.

I think Omnia's have much better build quality when compared to HTC's in some areas, to be honest last HTC I used was Tytan II, and it wasn't a bad experience at all (a bit bulky one though :) ).

Personally I would rather have Omnia 7, instead of HD7, because quality seemed much better to me and screen is superior i.e. Super AMOLED.

On the connectivity side, I always liked the simple and reliable interface for connectivity offered by MS, best thing was I could tether the device at any time on the fly.

Back