Microsoft sends Mozilla another cake for Firefox 4 release

By Emil
Mar 22, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft has once again sent a congratulatory cake to Mozilla, this time for the release of Firefox 4. This would be the third cake the software giant has sent; it's become a tradition that is celebrated upon major version releases of the open-source browser.

Read the whole story
  2. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,426   +470

"Did Mozilla consider Microsoft's marketing budget when it began planning to change its development cycle?"

I can't stop laughing ahhahaha. Go Mozilla!
  3. Steve

Steve TechSpot Editor Posts: 2,189   +1,219

I wonder how it tastes, looks alright? They probably have to set their browsers to use Bing before they can have a slice though.
  4. Most probably they got their hands on a new cyanide shipment those days .. :))
  5. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,142   +483

wait why isnt someone sueing this time?
  6. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,588   +278

Damn my US patent on "Cakes with browser release references in icing/frosting" didn't get approved in time :(
  7. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,889   +645

This story isn't an early april fools joke or anything? Its a little hard to believe! well I guess its a nice gesture but still, I do want to try a piece of the cake though! :)
  8. NeoFlux

NeoFlux TS Booster Posts: 97   +10

I'm not touching anything with a big blue "e" letter on it, god forbid putting in mouth...
  9. I guess it now becomes clear why Mozilla is releasing so many new versions faster. All that free cake, who wouldn't??
  10. Mizzou

Mizzou TS Enthusiast Posts: 823

I think it's cool, nice to see some good natured rivalries and competition.
  11. Thats awesome that they send firefox a cake. Even though they are competers, they still are civil to each other.

Since the cake is from microsoft, I wonder if the cake has any bugs :p
  12. Raswan

Raswan TS Enthusiast Posts: 279

I hope we can all appreciate, too, that the text is clearly handwritten. That means a) the ie team not only bought the cake, but wrote the message themselves, or b) whichever bakery they use has a twelve-year old on writing duty. Either way, one can appreciate the irony of a software giant at the forefront of the tech industry sending a competitor a cake not with a rendered 3-D photo airbrushed on, or clip art text, but that looks like it was written with a quill under the sputtering light of a whale-oil lamp.

Wonder if they sent one to Google too...
  13. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 3,797   +116

I think they got the poisoned one this year... :haha:

Still surprised no patents, or copryrights have been broken in the production of this cake... Nobody is suing each other either... Shocking!
  14. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,533   +48

I wonder if the cake came with a card stating the terms and conditions of consumption?
  15. Microsoft appreciates the free R&D work Mozilla has done for them.
  16. ebolamonkey3

ebolamonkey3 TS Rookie Posts: 59

Speaking of which, when does Mozilla's contract w/ Google run out? If M$ can persuade Mozilla to use Bing as its default search engine instead of Google, that'd be a huge victory for Microsoft.
  17. Mozilla's cotract with Google runs through 2011.
  18. The cake should say: 'Thanks for compelling us to release a (somewhat) decent version of Internet Explorer, which had not happened between Netscape's demise and Firefox's rise'.
  19. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

I'm sure the cake is sent as a tongue-in-cheek gag and most certainly not intended to be a friendly gesture.
  20. Leeky

I thought the same...

Can't have your cake, and eat it.... :haha:
  21. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,815   +485

"The cake is a lie!" ^_^
  22. Interesting that both cursive P's are not closed off so they could pass as T's...
  23. "Let them eat cake!"
  24. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

Its really a trojan cake. The E is a very powerful listening device.

So the cakes are coming out of the R&D, not the marketing budget.
  25. Leeky

Whoa..... Maybe the IE Team want to steal more Mozilla ideas again... Maybe thats it.. its the cake, the cake has ears! :haha: