TechSpot

Microsoft shows four unannounced Mango-powered phones

By Jos
Jul 13, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer had plenty of good news to share with the company's partners during his keynote speech at the annual Worldwide Partner Conference (WPC) yesterday, such as Windows…

Read the whole story

2. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 831   +18

When I read "Mango-powered" I got the mental image of the phone being powered by a potato battery like thing but made from mango's :p.

3. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,682   +86

If they sell Galaxy SII with WP on it, I'll buy it without any hesitation :D

4. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,920   +687

I was thinking the exact same thing :)

5. Archean

I forgot to add one thing, i.e. hopefully it will be as solid a product as Omnia line has always been, unlike the awful experience I have with SGS.

6. hassaan

hassaan TS Rookie Posts: 90

I'm waiting for 2 cellphones... HTC Eternity and Samsung GS2 Mango.

7. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

I always think of Mongo from Blazing Saddles.

8. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

9. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TS Evangelist Posts: 595   +52

Yep, an upgrade to my Focus is in order.

10. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,270   +91

Although not a bad thing, Windows Phone 7 performance across multiple devices is roughly the same. The OS is optimized to be fast and efficient, unlike Android, where better hardware equals better performance.

So in essence, getting any of these Mango-powered phones should only be to get actual hardware improvements, such as better camera, or screen. But as far as OS performance goes, nothing will really change. All WP7 phones use hardware acceleration, and all are powered with 1 GHz processors or more, and all are equipped with HD cameras; that consistency among devices is just excellent, however, you getting a Mango Galaxy S II only means you're getting a new phone, not precisely a <i>better</i> one.

11. lawfer

12. yRaz

yRaz TS Evangelist Posts: 1,906   +954

The quantum is an amazing phone, it's what I got and I LOVE the thing. However, don't think I'm going to try the beta, I'll wait for mango unless there is some feature that I simply MUST have.

13. lawfer

Believe me, it's worth it. The only thing, though, is that you might lose all text messages but other than that, it's like a totally different phone. There are no bugs; the thing is so stable i don't know why they haven't released it already.

14. Archean

Some of the attributes Android lacks along with proper hardware acceleration.