Microsoft shows four unannounced Mango-powered phones

Jos

Staff

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer had plenty of good news to share with the company's partners during his keynote speech at the annual Worldwide Partner Conference (WPC) yesterday, such as Windows 7 selling 400 million licenses in under two years, or Office 2010 selling more than 100 million licenses in the same amount of time. When it came to Windows Phone 7, though, he admitted that sales have "gone from very small to very small."

That isn't stopping the company from drumming up interest in its upcoming "Mango" update, though. In fact, Microsoft did a little more than that and actually gave a quick preview at a handful of unreleased and unnamed Mango-powered devices from Acer, ZTE, Fujitsu, and Samsung. Sadly, the company stopped short of sharing any specifications, but Samsung's unit sure garnered a bit of interest for its obvious resemblance to the Galaxy S II.

Steve Guggenheimer, corporate vice president of the OEM division, specifically described it as "the new Samsung that's coming," noting that it's very thin and light. Microsoft later clarified that these phones are not production devices and may not be indicative of their upcoming handsets -- though we'd be surprised if a Mango-powered S II is not in the cards.

Guggenheimer also said that future Microsoft handsets will feature "thin and light" designs with "phenomenal screens" and "great battery life". You can watch the video of the keynote here; the phones appear around the 2:19:40 mark.

Permalink to story.

When I read "Mango-powered" I got the mental image of the phone being powered by a potato battery like thing but made from mango's :p.

I forgot to add one thing, i.e. hopefully it will be as solid a product as Omnia line has always been, unlike the awful experience I have with SGS.

torturedchaos said:
When I read "Mango-powered" I got the mental image of the phone being powered by a potato battery like thing but made from mango's :p.

I always think of Mongo from Blazing Saddles.

Archean said:
If they sell Galaxy SII with WP on it, I'll buy it without any hesitation :D

Although not a bad thing, Windows Phone 7 performance across multiple devices is roughly the same. The OS is optimized to be fast and efficient, unlike Android, where better hardware equals better performance.

So in essence, getting any of these Mango-powered phones should only be to get actual hardware improvements, such as better camera, or screen. But as far as OS performance goes, nothing will really change. All WP7 phones use hardware acceleration, and all are powered with 1 GHz processors or more, and all are equipped with HD cameras; that consistency among devices is just excellent, however, you getting a Mango Galaxy S II only means you're getting a new phone, not precisely a <i>better</i> one.

yRaz said:
lawfer said:
Sorry for double posting, but this very relevant.

If you want to get Mango on your phone, then go here: http://pocketnow.com/windows-phone/weve-updated-to-windows-phone-mango-so-can-you

I did it on my LG Quantum. Works flawlessly, and the update is amazing.

The quantum is an amazing phone, it's what I got and I LOVE the thing. However, don't think I'm going to try the beta, I'll wait for mango unless there is some feature that I simply MUST have.

Believe me, it's worth it. The only thing, though, is that you might lose all text messages but other than that, it's like a totally different phone. There are no bugs; the thing is so stable i don't know why they haven't released it already.

Believe me, it's worth it. The only thing, though, is that you might lose all text messages but other than that, it's like a totally different phone. There are no bugs; the thing is so stable i don't know why they haven't released it already.

Some of the attributes Android lacks along with proper hardware acceleration.

Back