Microsoft shows off Xbox Live on Windows Phone 7

Jos

For the first time since announcing Windows Phone 7 Microsoft has showed off the mobile platform's Xbox Live tie-in and revealed a selection of games which will be available at launch day. In total more than 60 games were listed as part of a lineup designed to appeal casual and hardcore gamers. These include big names such as 'Assassins Creed', 'Guitar Hero 5' and 'Splinter Cell Conviction' as well as a collection of card and board games like Bejeweled, Uno, and Game Chest.

Microsoft's also planning to leverage its existing console IPs with 'companion titles' for games such as Halo: Waypoint and Crackdown 2, extending the console experience and making the phone immediately appealing to anyone with an Xbox 360. Users with an Xbox Live account will be able to access try-before-you-buy demos, Xbox Live leaderboards, turn-based multiplayer, Achievements, customize avatars, access messaging features and more -- all from their cell phones.

When it comes to gaming, Microsoft's already well ahead of rivals like Apple or Google. The company's Xbox Live service currently boasts some 25 million users so it makes sense that they're throwing a lot of weight behind this for their upcoming mobile platform. Whether Windows Phone 7 smartphones can stand up to the competition in other fronts remains to be seen. You can check out some hands-on action with Windows Phone 7 and Xbox Live over at Engadget.

Permalink to story.

Great!!! soon i will be able to play all my games on my mobile phone. WOW maybe in the future we won't need any console or pcs anymore.

I hope it will arrive sooner, because my i900 is starting to show its age a bit in some respects, and I am thinking about replacing it in near future.

If MS is able to deliver something with the right feature set, user friendly / intuitive interface and specially it should feel 'responsive/and quick' and deliver respectable gaming performance, I think they may be able to pull back some market share and carve out an niche for themselves, perhaps another good 'cash cow'. But IMO it is important that they should also carefully target not only the newer market segments but the 'lost generation' as well. Provided if (and its a big if right now) all the above conditions are met they may stem the 'iphonification' of world ;)

Back