TechSpot

Microsoft silent as confusion over Windows Phone 8 upgrade path grows

By Jos
Apr 18, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. There appears to be some confusion breeding on whether or not existing Windows Phones will be compatible with version 8 of the operating system (codenamed Apollo) expected later this year,...

Read the whole story

2. I use a windows phone and as much as i love the UI and a few other features, I find myself feeling as I got ripped buying one of these phones.

Everytime i try and use the web browser to look anything up I get " This page adapted for you browser comes from www.whereever.com and is not endorsed by google." So my internet is pretty much useless. Very little apps that I actually would use, would like to see ( Canadian Banks, Ticketmaster) as 2 off the top of my head. Going to the website doesnt work since my phone wont goto any.

Horrible signal on my phone, I see guys from work walking around with there Iphones and Androids while im struggling to get any signal.

Stay clear of windows phones, they are not here to stay.

3. Butch

Butch TS Enthusiast Posts: 112

Good to know but what phone and carrier are you using?

4. Argghh!

MS have no clear solid foundation for their consumers or developers of mobile apps on windows phones and yet are putting their head in the clouds ignoring everything underfoot with windows 8 and the metro interface of touchy feely..

Please someone at MS come back to ground level and stop trying to emulate on the success other companies have had with this, the market share you have or gain from this is not worth the expenditure or loss of confidence by consumers in enterprise or domestic capacity.

Do they think having iPhone, Android, RIM, among others with less and less cross compatibility each day that they will emerge and when already they have showen with previous interations they cannot make it work, and now not even confirm anything thus losing more confidence from potential consumers who are just not going to wait and see and isntead go with one of the other already dominant co's?

I think MS need to adjust and stop being re active to emerging tech and start leading from the front and trying to emulate on success by others so much, if not they should goto china and start manufacturing brand names they dont own..

5. nigel

nigel TS Rookie Posts: 24

I would expect that they will be trying to see if there is a way to charge all users who bought a phone before a certain date for the upgrade. Thats the way they have handled the PC business, and it will be hard to change the direction of the organisation.

6. The person who said this does not know how to use their phone, if they go into settings they can change everything. There is also alternate browsers available if they could be bothered to look on the marketplace and spend a whole minute downloading and installing it.

I have a Samsung Omnia7, had my windows phone for a year, got upgraded to 7.5 no problem. It is the perfect phone, no problems and has never crashed either!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.