TechSpot

Microsoft starts bundling IE with Windows after anti-trust terms expire

By Leeky
Oct 28, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. A decade ago Microsoft lost an anti-trust case that effectively “loosened” the link between their operating system and its Internet Explorer browser. Yesterday marked the end of that ruling, and…

Read the whole story

2. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,524   +324

But I like the ability to remove IE from Windows 7. I almost feel safer by doing so. One less hole for virus's to get onto my PC.

3. bugejakurt

bugejakurt TS Booster Posts: 135

Don't care if it is completely removed or not. Doesn't make any difference.

4. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,710   +62

Some programs force me to use ie, like my schools online functions, its rare but its there or id completely annihilate IE from my computer if possible.

5. Who in the world still uses IE anyway? Anyone who is really into computers knows that Opera is the only browser to use!

6. jonny702

jonny702 TS Member Posts: 30

Ummm... are you aware that the current release of IE (9) is the most secure browser? There was a study done by NSSS labs confirming this

7. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 5,387   +240

Personally, I prefer SeaMonkey but I'm not going to start a browser war.
    Many people still use IE.

8. learninmypc

Is it easy to remove it? If so, can you tell me? Not for myself,but for a friend. TIA

9. DanUK

DanUK TS Enthusiast Posts: 196   +8

I'm still pretty content with Firefox, however from what I have seen from the latest versions of IE, it isn't half bad anymore. They do still have a reputation to restore (from the old crappy version 6.0 and before)..

Whilst when I read this it did seem a bit cheeky.. as the article states other companies do this sort of thing already too.

10. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Unfortunately many of us are still forced to use IE6/7 at work...

11. I have to give MS kudos for recent work. WIN7 is superb and IE 9 (with the exception of the 64-bit flavor) is greatly improved and relatively secure (all browsers have holes).
    I just hope that WIN8 for tablets continues the trend of improve OS.

I'm am old Unix guy, so saying good things about MS is unusual for me.
    When NT arrived we called it "Neanderthal Technology".

12. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 964   +49

"Me discover fire, invent wheel, build server." Even primarily a Windows user I've always found that funny. =)

13. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

The only thing I don't like is that even if you set another browser as default, sometimes some programs still end up using IE when they need to open up a web page. Not all, but some. I would prefer that if you select another browser as the default, W7 would always use it. I'm sure I can screw around with the options but still, its annoying.

14. RH00D

RH00D TS Addict Posts: 412   +106

There's no such thing as "best browser". Different browsers excel at different things. I have IE9, Firefox and Chrome all installed on my computer and I use all for different reasons. Stop being a fanboy.

15. Nima304

Nima304 TS Enthusiast Posts: 306   +37

If anything, the only thing integrating IE into Windows is going to do is piss a lot of people off. A good number of people will install another browser anyway.

16. mattfrompa

mattfrompa TS Maniac Posts: 482   +8

Exactly. I switch between those same three at home.

17. learninmypc

I have IE 8 but don't use it. My default browser is SeaMonkey. I also have Google Chrome & Firefox.

18. Who in the world still uses IE anyway? Anyone who is really into computers knows that Opera is the only browser to use!

So you're saying the majority of the planet is "really into computers?"

19. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Enthusiast Posts: 811   +91

Netscape brings back memories... Good times

20. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,281   +157

Whats wrong with ie9 anyhoo?

Security issues come with popularity, its like the old macs cant get viruses myth.

Pick a UI you like and stick with it :)

21. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Enthusiast Posts: 811   +91

Didn't know ie could be removed from Windows 7.

22. So, while we're on the subject of myths...

:rolleyes:

23. It's mindnumbingly easy. You go into the control panel, select "Programs and Features", then click on "Turn Windows features on or off". Then in the list of items, uncheck "Internet Explorer xx" where xx is the version you have (it's usually the third item on the list). Click "OK" and it will remove as much of IE as it can without breaking the system.

However, what you think of as 'the browser' isn't really the browser.. IE is really just a thin shell over the IE active X object and these days, so many parts of Windows rely on it that if you could really remove it - you'd break the system.

Still, by doing what I've described - you can remove all visible traces of it - it won't be available as a standalone browser.

PS: I'd recommend installing some *other* browser first as once you've done this - you'll be browser free with no easy way to download a new one.

Cheers.

24. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,281   +157

If i want my virus to infect as many machines as possible im going to write it for the most popular browser.

Thats common sense.

25. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 TS Rookie Posts: 489

I install multiple browsers in my machines including betas and developer/nightly builds so I don't really mind IE being there. Besides, I still on occasion come across company websites optimized for IE including one of the companies which i do business with.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.