Microsoft Surface Power Cover extends battery life by 70 percent, shipping next week

By Shawn Knight
Mar 11, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft's refreshed Surface 2 and Surface 2 Pro tablets launched late last year and at the time, the Redmond-based company promised to provide battery-extending Power Covers in the not-too-distant future. That time is now upon us as Microsoft has revealed...

Read more
  2. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,373   +310

Whoa a 70% increase in battery life yet only a 50% increase in price for the cover now thats what I call a bargain, let me just buy my new tissue for $50,000 even tho it has a 70% increase in absorbtion... Microsoft have a way of telling you they wish they were apple and have higher prices then they do.
  3. GhostRyder

GhostRyder You know, that one guy with the PC Posts: 2,189   +589

The keyboard by itself is over 100 bucks (120 to be exact) and this has a battery extender that adds up to 70% life to a battery that normally for me lasts around 4 hours on average means that now its going to last 7 hours which is a huge difference in time especially considering the performance of the surface pro's.

An off brand Phone battery extender for instance costs 100 bucks, would you expect a giant tablet one that doubles as a keyboard to be less than that. Its going to have a bigger battery and you get a keyboard which is a nice deal in general.
  4. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,373   +310

Well considering the damn keyboard costs $100 on its own..... I hardly doubt apple would attempt to sell a cover/keyboard for $100 and get away with it its not like it has 24hrs life time added to it.
  5. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

I don't believe that... 19.5 mm is really fat. My laptop is almost 4 pounds and is 21mm thick. The entire Surface 2 Pro (the thickest one you can buy) is only 13.5 mm thick. I can't imagine a battery fatter and bigger than the entire tablet and yet would weigh about half of the 2 pounds of the Surface 2 Pro and only provide 70% more battery. What'd they do, put a small battery in a huge case?
  6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,335   +1,937

What I don't understand is if the extended battery/cover/keyboard is such a killer idea why don't all manufacturers offer something like this...
  7. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,408   +463

Because they are selling the idea of a tablet, not buying a whole laptop without a mouse.
  8. I'm on the fence between this and the dock I'm pretty good with the battery life on my sp2 if I need juice I plug it in to the inverter in my mobile office aka Ford explorer lol or at the non- mobile office aka the prison lmao.
  9. GhostRyder

GhostRyder You know, that one guy with the PC Posts: 2,189   +589

I would more put that as a hybrid device because of the way its marketed and designed (Especially on the pro series). Though I like the option of at times using a keyboard and mouse/trackpad when I don't feel like using the touchscreen constantly.