Microsoft Surface Pro gets worst possible reparability rating from iFixit

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

There are some compelling reasons to buy the Surface Pro, but reparability isn't one of them according to iFixit. As is customary, the site greeted Microsoft's new Windows 8 hybrid with a scalpel to provide users with a disassembly guide, but you'll have to navigate a disorienting funhouse of engineering if you want to get inside your device.

The breakdown starts simple enough: you remove two screws from the Surface Pro's kickstand. That, however, is about as far as most folks will make it. The next step calls for you to separate the tablet's screen and body, which are adjoined by a "metric duckload" of adhesive that stood up to most of iFixit's methods, including cutting it.

The site eventually pried the system apart with liberal use of a heat gun and a guitar pick, and doing so revealed a thick layer of tar-like glue around the Surface Pro's perimeter. From there, iFixit removed 23 screws that secured the plastic bezel and then another 29 screws fastening two metal plates on either side of the opened machine.

At this point, most of the Surface Pro's internals can be undone or popped loose, but care is obviously still required. The site also notes that even you if get past the display's adhesive, you'll probably shear one of the four cables around the edge of the device if you don't perform removal the process perfectly.

On the bright side, iFixit praised certain aspects of the Surface Pro. Despite the tablet's poor run time, the site said it's packing "the Cadillac of batteries" -- a 5676mAh 7.4V LG Escalade, which also happens to be locked down by a ton of adhesive, but iFixit notes that at least it isn't soldered to anything.

Permalink to story.

Before some of you all get your hate on and trash it like you did the ipad for not being fixable, remember, this isn't apple. Its 100% ok that its not serviceable because is MS. /s

on a serious note, These kind of things shouldn't be expected to be serviceable in my mind. Would be nice if they were, but, everything has it limitations.

^I can agree with that to some degree. But MS obviously made an attempt to hinder DIYers as a method of making more repair money. 50 something screws? seriously?

That's what you get with an ultra-thin form factor that is as solid as a rock. Compromises have to be made.

Give it time for the Surface or better to come out with better internals. Surface still over price tablet for Windows client operating system.

Give it time for the Surface or better to come out with better internals. Surface still over price tablet for Windows client operating system.

Which one? The RT or the PRO?

I wouldn't call the PRO overpriced compared to tablets, since it's quite a bit more than a tablet. Take the horsepower under the hood into account and it's actually fairly cheap. A surface pro walks all over any tablet out there in pure performance, and can run legacy software.

It simply doesn't compare to other tablets, it's in a league of it's own.

The RT in my opinion is just throwing away money.

A surface pro walks all over any tablet out there in pure performance, and can run legacy software.

It also walks all over any tablet out there in terms of price as well. I only paid $500 for my Asus Transformer Infinity with the keyboard dock (God bless BB price matching Amazon). At least my tablet has another battery in the keyboard.

This folks, is known as consumerism. If it's broken, throw it away & buy a new one. It's a shameless moneymaking racket & all manufacturers are guilty of it, not just M$ & Apple.

I would imagine the warranty would do justice to this low score...

Otherwise, I would never take it apart if I owned one. So it doesn't bug me...

kamisama, I completely agree with you. I WILL be getting a Surface Pro (and have been holding out for like a year), but RT is just throwing away money.

I wouldn't call the PRO overpriced compared to tablets, since it's quite a bit more than a tablet. Take the horsepower under the hood into account and it's actually fairly cheap. A surface pro walks all over any tablet out there in pure performance, and can run legacy software.

Pro for reference, still priced too high.

Pro should be priced at $600
RT should be priced at $300

The internal storage needs to be at 320GB where most laptop and netbooks are at.
Pro 64GB and 128GB based on NAND storage
Pro 4GB for RAM, again this should a min of 8GB and higher 16GB (cost and profits again causing them to go lower in RAM)

Anyway first GEN RT and first GEN Pro I'll wait until they get it up to where I would shell out more for the Surface. Right now I'll put it on hold. A Company called SKYTEX released S970 SKYLAB with Dual core Atom 1.5GHz, 2GB of RAM and real 320GB HD in their Windows tablet which I got Windows 8 on there. Of course that is heavy 2.6 and battery dies in less than 3 months it goes DUFF (dead) has to be replaced that's there defect. Replacing that battery requires you to take the tablet a part. That's 9.7" with dual USB 2.0, full HDMI port.

At the moment it makes very little difference to me. I've just sold my Xmas gift tablet & won't be getting another in the near future because I have absolutely no use for them.

Tablets are the way of the future but the current models needs to be much more than they are. Price is just way to high. Accuracy with touch typing is just like a smart phone. Talking into the device instead can help but still we are not yet smooth with this tech to the point where you want to do more like you have seen on shows and movies like Star Trek.

Tablets are now used in Hospital, Schools but until we get those new tech that can bend panel and fit in your shirt pocket we have to deal with what's current. Surface from MS seems nice but the price will keep a lot away from it. MS profits really shows with the current Pro model. People do not want to spend a lot of a tablet, but they don't want something they can't use like a netbook and laptop.

Take away the keyboard and use a panel as a computer and watch the price jump so high they're just going to end up with a surplus of unsold ones. Those of you who buy one might be the only guy or girl on the block that has it for now. The tech is there but the price to sell them at is not there yet. Android tablets are cheaper but there are some prices outrageous too!

Toshiba Thrive out of my 45 tablets I use that the most I have two of the Thrive and both are use more. Thrive can access Windows shares from PC, Server or NAS without issues. Stream Movies, Music or Photo. Check your email, watch Netflix an etc. That part works. Can you use to replace a Windows desktop no not yet!

That's where the Surface comes in to but you still need to buy expensive keyboard for the Surface MS should throw that feature into the price. They don't. Marketing department at MS not hitting the target with consumers.

Couple more years and just maybe they'll get the tablet just right.

Pro for reference, still priced too high.

Pro should be priced at $600
RT should be priced at $300

The internal storage needs to be at 320GB where most laptop and netbooks are at.
Pro 64GB and 128GB based on NAND storage
Pro 4GB for RAM, again this should a min of 8GB and higher 16GB (cost and profits again causing them to go lower in RAM)

Anyway first GEN RT and first GEN Pro I'll wait until they get it up to where I would shell out more for the Surface. Right now I'll put it on hold. A Company called SKYTEX released S970 SKYLAB with Dual core Atom 1.5GHz, 2GB of RAM and real 320GB HD in their Windows tablet which I got Windows 8 on there. Of course that is heavy 2.6 and battery dies in less than 3 months it goes DUFF (dead) has to be replaced that's there defect. Replacing that battery requires you to take the tablet a part. That's 9.7" with dual USB 2.0, full HDMI port.

Ehh? Where are you getting these prices and specs from?

The prices you mention are well below any other rubbish i3 laptops. And whats the point of a mechanical hard drive on a device designed to be light, fast, battery-friendly?

I mean, I'd love if the RT was $300, but comparing to the rest of the market these are just way too low.

exactly how I feel about it. the RT is just another tablet, with limited functionality between a laptop and a smartphone, whereas the Pro combines the best of the tablet and laptop worlds into a lightweight, yet powerful device for its size and cost.
tipstir, your fantasy prices are nice to daydream about, but they are nowhere near realistic for the hardware list that the Pro comes with, not to mention making it that small always jacks the price up a bit more vs pc or even laptop prices.

Back