Microsoft takes another stab at hardware with new Surface tablets

By Jos
Sep 23, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft announced the follow up to last year’s Surface tablets at an event in New York City this morning. As expected, the company is sticking to the same form factors and architectures with a lower-price ARM model running Windows RT...

Read more
  2. treeski

treeski TechSpot Guru Posts: 869   +129

Really good stuff IMO... love the array of accessories, although dang can the prices add up.
  3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,039   +695

Except it's not a tablet. The Surface 2 pro, like the surface pro is a laptop with a touch screen and no attached keyboard. I know the Surface has one foot in tablet territory and another in laptop territory, but every time someone reads that the Surface Pro is tablet they'll say '$999 for a TABLET?!?!'

I really hope MS advertises the Pro 2 as a fully functional Windows 8 laptop disguised as a tablet instead of just a MS tablet that is better than an iPad because it has a kickstand and USB port.
    spectrenad and m4a4 like this.
  4. Jim$ter

Jim$ter TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 119   +20

Ya love the specs but the prices are to high for mass adaption. If I could get the pro for no more than $4599 with keyboard I would probably bite but I know that won't happen.
  5. Jim$ter

Jim$ter TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 119   +20

They really need a edit function on here... That was $599 not $4599 LOL
  6. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,329   +377

You can edit a post by going to the Forums and looking up your post.
  7. treeski

treeski TechSpot Guru Posts: 869   +129

Hit the "Jump to forum mode" button below.
  8. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,797   +882

I think MS should have aimed for the $400 price point for the Surface running RT. That would make it more attractive.
  9. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 389   +35

Looks good... I may be buying one of these new pro tablets to replace my laptop.
  10. I like the direction Microsoft is taking with Surface (back-lit keyboards look particularly cool), but it's still too expensive. Especially the accessories, keyboard for more than $100?
    I can see the docking station being pretty useful in business environments.
  11. JC713

I wish MS went with a higher end screen. It uses the same panel as the regular Surface. They should have upped the panel to something with a higher resolution. Then it can be a really great tablet and would justify the $900 price tag. The way it is now, I think it should be $800.

12. Railman

Railman TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 573   +76

So you need a docking station for both work and home for serious work! I can't see Corporate buyers being happy to spend so much for so little.
  13. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TechSpot Guru Posts: 589   +45

WITH Touch Cover 2.

As much of a Microsoft/Windows 8/WP8 fan that I am, I just can't even get close to thinking about buying a Surface.
    St1ckM4n likes this.
  14. m4a4

m4a4 TechSpot Addict Posts: 516   +137

1 light computer vs having 2 computers for upwards of twice as much. It could potentially be a better scenario...
  15. plee00124

plee00124 Newcomer, in training

My gosh, why the Surface Pro price is sooooooo high. Even half the price is still so high. Throw in all MS softwares for free and the price is still high.
  16. dennis777

dennis777 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 274   +29

The specs & price ratio is not that great. M$ should atleast lower the price if they want it more popular.. nexus has decent specs at decent prices.
  17. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 948   +45

This is basically what I had hoped the original Surface pro would have been like... If I weren't saving for a completely unreasonable from the ground up overhaul of my desktop for Star Citizen I'd probably pre-order one.
  18. JC713

Oh, that is actually a moderate deal. I didnt read that.
  19. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,428   +618

$100+ for the keyboards is shameful. They should be included in the price, or a $50 max option. $120-200 for it is insane. Corps with that money to blow will just buy a Mac Air and an iPad.
  20. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,040   +72

I think MS should be willing to take some loss on both devices, and promote the allied services bit more to cover it up, that way, they can set a much more competitive price. Surface priced around 350$ should be a more attractive prospect. Whereas, Surface Pro (128GB) version for the starting price could be a very good proposition.

Aside from that, I don't see RT a viable OS. MS should have scaled WP up for its ARM tablets, that way, it would have made much more sense, but that is just my opinion.
  21. RH00D

RH00D TechSpot Addict Posts: 393   +101

It's worth pointing out that with the included services for free, like the 200 GB SkyDrive storage, Skype calling, and whatever else they included, the actual price of the Surface 2 ends up being -$29 as calculated by Ars Technica. So they actually are selling it at a loss if you look at it like that.
  22. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TechSpot Guru Posts: 589   +45

No, no. I was saying that it SHOULD be that price with the touch cover. As it is, you have to buy it separately, which puts you back $570 for the base Surface 2 and the Touch Cover 2.
  23. PC EliTiST

PC EliTiST Newcomer, in training Posts: 44

50% better graphics performance... Is this how they try to deceive people? From 1 fps under some certain circumstances, it can now produce 1,5 fps... See? 50% improvement.

For me, Microsoft's tablets are completely out of my list of recommended gadgets. I'd prefer a solid Samsung tablet&smartphone without second thought.
  24. JC713

Wow that is dumb.
  25. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,428   +618

Using the above pricing as the basis of 'how much is the tablet itself worth?' is flawed. Telco's use the same strategy in their contract plans - it is assumed that the majority of users won't use their maximum credit (which they have paid for), so the telco is saving money on these users and making a profit. They can also afford to have promotions where they seemingly 'lose' money. In the end, they always win.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.