TechSpot

Microsoft takes down massive botnet via legal action

By Emil
Mar 18, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft and federal law enforcement agents have seized computer equipment from Internet hosting facilities across the US to cripple the largest source of junk e-mail on the Internet: the Rustock botnet. The software giant launched the raids as part of a civil lawsuit filed in federal court in Seattle last month against the unnamed operators of the botnet, which was composed of more than 1 million machines worldwide.

Read the whole story

2. Isn't it nice that a civil matter can now allow the company suing someone raid the office of the defendant and seize personal equipment. Not saying that their seizing the machines is not great, but it should not be as a result of CIVIL lawsuit. Raids and seizures should be a matter of criminal law. Seems like more and more companies are doing it -- Sony with the PS3 hacker, Microsoft with the botnet.

Next thing you know RIAA will raid and seize my house because I have a redbox DVD that I forgot to return...

3. yRaz

yRaz TS Addict Posts: 966   +116

SHHHH! They might subpoena the IP addresses of anyone who viewed this page.

4. NeoFryBoy

NeoFryBoy TS Rookie Posts: 72

Well, no one "raided" the PS3 hacker. The court ordered that he hand over evidence. A list of IPs that accessed his site is proof of how widespread his hack is, and how many people are willing to pirate games.

As for this case spam is cyber-crime.

Lastly, you pay for the redbox DVD everyday.

5. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,576   +47

Some good news eh.

Can't stand spam email..Some ***wipe's sending spam from my hotmail to all my mates and i can't get to the bottom of it.

6. Try changing your hotmail password.

7. If they hadn’t come up with such a long string of sub-par operating systems, thereby inventing both the opportunity to process huge volumes of spam, and the niche markets for anti-spam and security software … well, we wouldn’t have this problem in the first place.

The BEST things in life is FREE.

8. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,576   +47

C'mon man....:rolleyes:

9. Benny26.....its a trojan virus thats infected/compromised your computer thats how its able to retrieve all your contacts from your address book and constantly spam them!

Essentially its part of botnet now sending out spam emails (with the virus?) to all your contacts.

10. Mizzou

Mizzou TS Enthusiast Posts: 930

Shortly after this announcement there was a brief but noticable drop in the amount of spam I was receiving. But the first two days this week it's jumped right back up and is even a bit higher than before, to include getting duplicates of the same spam. Will be interesting to see what kind of followup Microsoft and the Feds are able to muster.

Add Comment:

One other difference is that previously virtually all spam was being directed to the spam folder whereas now quite a few messages are going directly to my Inbox.

11. Until the people are arrested, the Micro-cops have taken down nothing. They will just hack new machines and be back in business within a week.

12. Mizzou

That's pretty much my take on it as well.

13. T77

T77 TS Enthusiast Posts: 315

Well, atleast they have tried to improve upon the situation which is very essential.
    Something is better than nothing.

14. Mizzou

Saw this on Fudzilla, looks like Microsoft is still after this, hope they get the green light.

Microsoft wants to crack spammer's servers

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.