TechSpot

Microsoft takes IM phishers to court

By Justin
Jul 17, 2009
  1. Microsoft has decided enough is enough when it comes to people abusing their IM service for phishing and spamming. The company filed a civil lawsuit yesterday against several companies and individuals, whom they claim are responsible for misusing IM services with the intention of stealing information.

Read the whole story

2. JDoors

JDoors TS Rookie Posts: 62

@Justin: "... it is encouraging to see companies like Microsoft go after those deserve it once in a while."

If not Microsoft and other companies affected by this, who else could do it? Class Action lawsuits maybe? Frankly, if MS et al would act immediately to such threats it just MIGHT have a chilling effect on all those miscreants.

3. Stingray57

Stingray57 TS Rookie

Yeah- yer right.

This is the very reason I don't use Hotmail anymore- cause Microsoft doesn't monitor their stuff. They just release it and let it go wild; no oversight at all. The hackers and spammers hack the system as soon as it's put in to production... and Microsoft doesn't care.

http://www.lehsys.com/2009/04/microsoft-doesnt-care-about-spim/

I appreciate it.

4. mrturtle

mrturtle TS Rookie Posts: 53

Next stop Nigeria.

5. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TS Maniac Posts: 551

These stupid bot attacks I get from freinds who have managed to get there details stolen. ''check out this picture of me and you'' every 10 mins.... its really annoying. I end up blocking them in the end. then others are stupid and click the link and I end up with 5-10 people sending me the stupid links. I end up sigining out. Bout time MS did somethink about it, they stopped people sending adverts over xbox live, y not msn?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.