Microsoft talks mobile Office for Windows Phone 8

By Shawn Knight
Oct 30, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft has introduced a mobile version of Office for Windows Phone 8 that will come pre-installed on every new handset. Bert Van Hoof from Microsoft's Office engineering group outlined five clear objectives they wanted to accomplish with the new software...

Read more
  2. I have but one simple question....What business person, who is of sound mind of course, wants to actually "work" on a cellphone? May I see a show of hands please?

**chirping crickets**

Thank you.
  3. ghasmanjr

ghasmanjr TechSpot Booster Posts: 363   +86

"The first goal was to make all Office documents accessible where and when you want them. "
    They're talking about viewing documents on the go. If you're a businessman, it would be nice and faster to be able to check a spreadsheet on your phone rather than get out a laptop.
  4. dawei1993

dawei1993 Newcomer, in training Posts: 37

True, but most cellphones now have free apps that allow the viewing of office files so... Well since its free I guess it doesn't matter anyway.
  5. RubinOnRye

RubinOnRye Newcomer, in training Posts: 55

I use my phone all the time so I don't have to take out my laptop. Also, if I am working at a user machine or in the server room and I need a document either on my Network Drive or my OneNote, I can easily pull it up off my phone rather then having to go to my laptop and pull it up and print it. I save myself time and space because my phone fits in my pocket and my laptop is big and bulky, even with a 14 inch screen. I just wish they made a Galaxy Note with Windows that way I could write notes for myself, rather then using a steno pad, and actually have them come out clearly.
  6. RubinOnRye

RubinOnRye Newcomer, in training Posts: 55

You can't view all formulas on those free and paid apps. And the ones you can view some formulas, don't come out right or corrupt my files. When I use office on my WP7 phone, no issues.
  7. ghasmanjr

ghasmanjr TechSpot Booster Posts: 363   +86

This is why I want office for Android.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.