TechSpot

Microsoft to disable Windows Phone 7 unlocking in first update

By Emil
Jan 12, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. In the first update to Windows Phone 7, Microsoft is planning to block ChevronWP7, which allowed users to unlock any retail Windows Phone 7 device for application side-loading without having to pay $99 per year for a WP7 marketplace account. The update, which is slated for release this month, will also introduce copy and paste functionality, among other improvements.

Read the whole story

2. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 957   +49

PR stunt or not, it's good to see a developer willing to work with homebrew folks.

3. mccartercar

mccartercar TS Enthusiast Posts: 111   +15

Sony should take note of M$ practices with wp7 regarding homebrew.
    Instead of threatening to sue every last individual that shows interest in using an awesome hardware platform to do their bidding and be their all-in-1 system, Sony should appreciate the scene and embrace it.

4. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

With kinect and now this it seems that MS is being more open in terms of homebrew and Modding.

5. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

I would say that a light bulb finally came on over Ballmer's head, but the illumination is probably more likely the result of rubbing two sticks together for a long time.

But if we look outside of catchy marketing schemes, what has been shareware and freeware been for the past two decades, but essentially homebrew programs made by users for other users? Ten or fifteen years ago, a lot of times if you wanted some kind of specific functionality on your PC you needed either to find a shareware program to do it, or write your own.

But I'm thinking positive about this.

6. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TS Maniac Posts: 431   +8

So the $99.....do you a CONSUMER pay $99 to use the Marketplace or is it meant for DEVELOPERS?

7. It was cracked in less than 24 hours, so they may as well disable it.

8. The $99 is to sign up as a developer, which allows unlocking your phone for side-loading among other things.

9. I'm about as likely to pay $99 to develop apps for WP7 as I am to buy a Mac to develop for the iPhone.

10. That's good information to know, and thanks for the relevant simile.

11. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

The point is to keep away stupid noobs who release useless apps by making it so they'll lose money if it's a garbage app.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.