Microsoft to launch Internet Explorer 9 at SXSWi

Jos

Staff

Microsoft has confirmed rumors that it is releasing the next version of its Internet Explorer browser on March 14. The company will hold a launch party in Austin, Texas during the South by Southwest Interactive Festival (SXSWi), but not before a press briefing where IE senior director Ryan Gavin says there will still be "a few surprises."

The launch comes one year after Microsoft delivered the browser's first platform preview, a bare-bones early build that lacked an interface and basic navigation tools. Among the new features in IE9 is a refreshed look, better integration with the Windows 7 Jump List feature, better HTML5 support, performance improvements particularly in JavaScript execution, graphics hardware acceleration and a tracking protection feature.

Microsoft is hoping to stop the bleeding of browser market share to competitors like Google's Chrome and Mozilla's Firefox. With beta and RC versions of Internet Explorer 9 reportedly getting some 36 million downloads over the past seven months, the company seems fairly optimistic about the upcoming release -- not to mention it appears likely that they'll manage to beat Mozilla to the upgrade punch after the numerous Firefox 4 delays.

The browser will be available for download Monday from Microsoft's servers beginning at 9 a.m. Pacific Time. It will be offered only to users of Windows Vista and Windows 7, leaving users of XP behind with Internet Explorer 8.

Permalink to story.

For the first time I looked at some screenshots of it, looks really awsome, finally a streamlined interface for IE!

I'm holding off untill Monday, will install it first thing at work (Well, I guess it'll be Tuesday since we are GMT+1 here in Sweden)

I downloaded the beta and was pretty happy with it, but for some reason, Engadget's site flickers up and down when you scroll. I don't know if it's IE9 or the web developers who are to blame though.

I just tried Engadget

on FF 4 RC, IE 9 RC and Chrome 10 and no flicker on all 3 browsers so I think its your machine.

Let's wait & watch .
I don't think Microsoft will come up with something as good as Chrome or Safari .

I think it's a mistake to leave XP users out in the cold. There are so many of them that just may go to Chrome or Firefox as their default browser and never look back even if they move to Windows 7 and beyond. I for one have both XP Pro and Windows 7 systems and have no plans to leave XP. With that said, Google Chrome is my choice for a browser both in XP and Windows 7.

Guest said:
I think it's a mistake to leave XP users out in the cold. There are so many of them that just may go to Chrome or Firefox as their default browser and never look back even if they move to Windows 7 and beyond. I for one have both XP Pro and Windows 7 systems and have no plans to leave XP. With that said, Google Chrome is my choice for a browser both in XP and Windows 7.
You assume people won't just stick with the browser they already have. You figure there is a significant number of people and even some companies still using IE6 and IE7, so people who use IE on XP probably won't even notice IE9 is out unless they have another computer with Vista or 7.

i don't think IE9 will run on xp due to the new technology used now that's what xp lacks now. windows 7 is a much better operating system over xp and vista. Microsoft made it this better. as all operating systems will advance with new technology as time moves on.Windows 8 is only round the corner.

IE9 did impress me, I admit, but it still doesn't render some websites completely, or sometimes it renders them completely broken. It is beautiful though, better-looking than Chrome and Firefox. Firefox 4 RC in my machine is blazing fast, and I still have most of my addons, so I doubt I'll ever switch (only Chrome can be deemed as an alternative to me). Oh, and Opera is a piece of crap.

Let's see who's feelings have I hurt just now...

I just want IE9 to release so I can start including it in my images at work really...It would be nice to be able to roll out SP1 and IE9 in one sweep.

Bummer........
I run Microsoft XP Professional 64 bit on my workstation, i7-99x chip 4.3ghz OC'd, 24gig ram,

Won't support XP those, %#&$(@*#$^%$@&#&*@ people at MS

Well I guess I will Uninstall IE8, and run F I R E F O X , and C H R O M E from now on

See YA MS, I guess I will switch to MAC.. ya Apple..

I was going to uprade to Win 8 But I guess not now...

one person is not a happy camper, toto .....

:(

Damn it, I wish I never just switched to a mac. IE9 is great, though I was still using chrome as my main browser. I did use IE9 to put a facebook shortcut in the taskbar, so I could treat facebook like a sperate program, worked really nice. I recommend it to any standard user, using IE8

I use Opera 11, Chrome 10 and Firefox 4 RC1. All three are great browsers which have no problems with my favorite sites. In fact, each of my three PCs has a different default browser. If Internet Explorer 9 is as good as they say it is, then kudos to Microsoft. It's time for them to get back into the game.

3dcgmodeler said:
Bummer........
I run Microsoft XP Professional 64 bit on my workstation, i7-99x chip 4.3ghz OC'd, 24gig ram,

Won't support XP those, %#&$(@*#$^%$@&#&*@ people at MS

Well I guess I will Uninstall IE8, and run F I R E F O X , and C H R O M E from now on

See YA MS, I guess I will switch to MAC.. ya Apple..

I was going to uprade to Win 8 But I guess not now...

one person is not a happy camper, toto .....

:(
Wouldn't it be easier, not to mention cheaper, to upgrade to Win7 rather then switching OS's altogether?

I'm guessing you've been a closet Apple fanboy your whole life and now with this startling new development, you can now convince yourself to go to the Bright and shiny side that is Apple.

Sorry just being silly, if you want switch OS's because XP cant run IE9, which by the way neither can OSX, then that's your prerogative, good luck i suppose.

Well I for one am glad to here that Microsoft is trying to catch up with the sign of the times, as far as it's web browser. A long time ago I made a choice to drop Internet Explorer and run with Mozilla Firefox.

Granted this updated browser of theirs will not make me switch back to I.E. at all, to be honest I can't. For I'm a total Windows XP Professional and Windows XP Media Center Edition kind of a guy. The new updated browser will not work with my system, due to advancements in today's technology.

I've seen some around hear refer to Microsoft as leaving Windows XP users "out in the cold"! Even being a die hard Windows XP user, even with my loyalty to the operating System, it must give way to the fact that almost everything from here on out will be played out with Windows Vista and Windows 7, not XP. Plus it's logical for Microsoft to start doing a slow "pull away" from supporting XP 100%, it's called "evolution"!

They started a slow pull back with Windows 98 a long time ago, the same with M.E., then came Windows 2000 and ect. ect. ect. Each Operating system has it's time in the spot light, each had it's time to shine with the "latest & greatest" from that time period. Now is no different, Windows Vista and Windows 7 is now in fashion, it's their time to shine and grab the spot light, I hate to admit it. But the fact that Microsoft isn't offering I.E 9 for XP, it proves that they are moving on and several more years down the road it will become harder and harder to get good XP support.

Sign of the times stuff if you ask me! Like it or not, Microsoft eventually will move on and leave us XP users in their dust.

"My 2 Cents"

Back