Microsoft to open 75 new retail stores within 3 years

By Jos
Jul 14, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. There's no denying Apple's retail success. Ten years after opening the first store location at Tysons Corner in Virginia, the company now counts 327 stores worldwide, where it can showcase…

Read the whole story
  2. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,364   +260

But I want one here in the UK :)
  3. lmike6453

lmike6453 Newcomer, in training Posts: 80

I'll be on the lookout for one here in Phila, what do you think they're going to sell?
  4. probably Windows Phones, Their OS, Advert their Cloud os, sell laptops, pcs, Zunes, and so on.
  5. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TechSpot Guru Posts: 572   +37

I feel pretty lucky that they put one in Park Meadows, 15 minutes from my house.
  6. stewi0001

stewi0001 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 274

when I lived in Seattle I met people that worked for Microsoft (not hard to find them out there lol!) and I know they have their own employee store where they could buy anything that Microsoft makes,software and hardware. My guess it will be like that minus the employee discount...
  7. Follow the leader ms. APPLE!

Soon they'll be changing their name to Mangosoft.

Such innovation.
  8. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,004   +710

I like to shop at my own pace, pleasure, and convenience. So, you won't be meeting me at a M$ retail store near you. Wow! Now that's a relief, isn't it?
  9. why? apple has mindless lemmings using their junk who are willing to shell out four weeks pay from their coffee shop/book store/ self-employed (un-employed) graphic artist job for the crap.

most PC fans shop at newegg/tigerdirect/steam and microcenter for brick and mortar shopping
  10. "most PC fans shop at newegg/tigerdirect/steam"

That's a great way to support your local economy. It's no wonder you can't afford an Apple with no jobs left in your town. (lol)
  11. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd Newcomer, in training Posts: 555

The apple store fits into the Apple mentality and culture (whether you agree with or not), whilst an MS store really doesnt fit into what MS is about, that's just my opinion.
  12. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,004   +710

Most of the jobs created by retail sales, are minimum wage after school jobs, occupied by gay latch key teenagers, that don't really contribute squat to a local economy. After all, 90+% of the crap that they're selling comes from China, including the Apple computer product. Unless you decide to count the raise in your own property taxes brought on by the new mall nearby, that allegedly increases the value of you home. I'm sure your mayor and local tax board appreciates your "selfless" contribution.

So let's review; the manufacturing wages are drawn by the Chinese, Cupertino (Apple), certainly isn't local to everybody, and your fairy godchildren at the new mall, are earning possibly less than if they worked at McDonald's. How does that fit your ideal local economic model?
  13. free4rm

free4rm Newcomer, in training Posts: 17

Not a lot of specific details as to what products and services would be available at these stores. I'm a PC builder that has always used MS products and I specialize in how the hardware and OS interact. Be nice if the the stores offer instruction classes on streamlining your apps and system. I know Apple product owners and how they like the services available at the Apple stores. Guess we'll see what happens.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.