Microsoft to port Zune HD apps to Windows Phone

Emil

Staff

Microsoft plans to port at least some of its Zune HD apps to Windows Phone. The software giant has not revealed which apps specifically, but it's not too hard to guess. In fact, if you disregard games, you'll see there are only nine apps for the Zune HD: Calculator, Facebook, Messenger, Piano, Shuffle by Album, Stopwatch, Twitter, Weather, Zune Reader. Except for the third one and the last one, they're all rather useless or are already on the Windows Phone platform.

The news comes from episode #119 of the Zune Insider podcast. The relevant part was transcribed and posted first by Anythingbutiphone:

The apps that we have built internally for Zune, we're actually looking at porting those over to Windows Phone. I can"t tell you when or what the exact dates are. But that's something we're definitely looking at.

There has been talk for quite a while now that Microsoft is getting ready to kill off the Zune. The company has been viciously denying rumors that it will clear out inventory of the stock it has, and stop producing more units of the various Zune models. Last month, the software giant slashed the prices for two (out of three) Zune HD models: the 16GB to $170 (from $200) and the 32GB to $200 (from $270). If I wasn't planning on buying a smartphone with at least 16GB of space, I would jump on this deal.

While we haven't heard about any retail store running out of stock yet, the rumor suggesting that Microsoft will kill off the Zune hardware and focus instead on just the software, is a topic that just won't die. Even before this tidbit about Microsoft porting Zune HD apps to Windows Phone, it was clear that the company is increasingly concentrating on the Zune service in Windows Phone over any other form of the Zune brand.

Permalink to story.

Boy, that makes tons of sense. Your Windows phone is already getting it's rear-end kicked by every other phone out there. So let's add Zune applications - who you're trying really hard to bury - to your already struggling phone.

Microsoft is SO lost these days....

tsk tsk...M$soft. You made a product today, it doesnt turn enuf profit tomo...the next day you run from it an kill it off. Typical M$oft. your infamous track record precedes you. Now your doin the same with the XBox....No games but pure Kinect casual crap. You're like a male four legged on the discovery channel @ a certain time of year.

TomSEA said:
Boy, that makes tons of sense. Your Windows phone is already getting it's rear-end kicked by every other phone out there. So let's add Zune applications - who you're trying really hard to bury - to your already struggling phone.

Uh... you don't get out much, do you? Zune is a major part of Windows Phone 7. Not only is the Zune software the mechanism for transferring music and videos, and updating your phone, but it is also an essential app on the phone for all of your media. Furthermore, the whole Metro UI came out of the Zune HD's OS so, in essence, WP7 is the Zune OS unleashed and fledged out into a more fully featured OS. Microsoft has never tried to bury Zune; it's done the exact opposite. Even with ignoring that fact, how could adding more Zune apps possibly be a bad thing?

I guess you missed this part of the article, which I've also heard similar stories from a number of other sources, wagan8r:

"There has been talk for quite a while now that Microsoft is getting ready to kill off the Zune. The company has been viciously denying rumors that it will clear out inventory of the stock it has, and stop producing more units of the various Zune models."

wagan8r said:
TomSEA said:

Uh... you don't get out much, do you? Zune is a major part of Windows Phone 7. Not only is the Zune software the mechanism for transferring music and videos, and updating your phone, but it is also an essential app on the phone for all of your media. Furthermore, the whole Metro UI came out of the Zune HD's OS so, in essence, WP7 is the Zune OS unleashed and fledged out into a more fully featured OS. Microsoft has never tried to bury Zune; it's done the exact opposite. Even with ignoring that fact, how could adding more Zune apps possibly be a bad thing?

Dude, he is not talking about the Zune software, but the Zune hardware (you know, as in, the Zune HD media player). Please, and I mean please, edit your post before you get annihilated for your lack of reading comprehension.

Only problem with Zune on windows phone is that you get distortion in the headphones if the 3g is on

TomSEA said:
I guess you missed this part of the article, which I've also heard similar stories from a number of other sources, wagan8r:

"There has been talk for quite a while now that Microsoft is getting ready to kill off the Zune. The company has been viciously denying rumors that it will clear out inventory of the stock it has, and stop producing more units of the various Zune models."
No, I missed the part in your post where you meant Zune hardware when you said "Zune applications - who you're trying really hard to bury". I wasn't debating the rumors of Microsoft killing off the Zune hardware.
lawfer said:
Dude, he is not talking about the Zune software, but the Zune hardware (you know, as in, the Zune HD media player). Please, and I mean please, edit your post before you get annihilated for your lack of reading comprehension.
It's not a reading comprehension issue. It's a vague pronoun reference issue.

wagan8r said:
TomSEA said:

No, I missed the part in your post where you meant Zune hardware when you said "Zune applications - who you're trying really hard to bury". I wasn't debating the rumors of Microsoft killing off the Zune hardware.
lawfer said:
It's not a reading comprehension issue. It's a vague pronoun reference issue.

Nah, this is definitely a lack of reading comprehension. First, the title specifically says Microsoft plans to port Zune HD apps to WP7. Note, keyword here: Zune HD.

Second, TomSEA stated "Zune applications - who you're trying really hard to bury." Hey, another keyword: applications. Last time I checked, the Zune software has no "applications." Given the context, not perceiving he's referring to the hardware, to me, is clearly a lack of reading comprehension. But I digress...

Thirdly, there's no "vague pronoun reference" here, specially since the context was already established. Had it truly be vague, your immediate reaction should have been, you asking him whether he was referring to the hardware or Zune software (you know, because it's vague). Then again, even if you had asked, it would have been apparent you missed the context, which, invariably leads us to my last and fourth point: you rushed and made an argument based on erroneous grounds; ones which, you could have easily avoided had you read both the title and Tom's context.

Back