Microsoft to provide cheap upgrade path to Win 8 for new PC buyers

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Are you on the fence about buying a new computer because you don’t want to be stuck with yesterday’s OS when Microsoft releases Windows 8 later this year? Fear not for Microsoft will be providing a cheap upgrade path to Windows 8 if you purchase a new PC running Windows 7 after June 2.

Consumers that purchase a PC after June 2 will be eligible to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for just $14.99, similar to other deals that Microsoft has offered in the past. The idea is to try and prevent a sales drought as the release of a new operating system approaches.

windows computers upgrade windows microsoft windows 8 upgrade fee

The promotion was first mentioned by CNET last week but at the time, the upgrade fee was unknown. It is believed that Microsoft is charging a small fee because they are providing a premium version of Windows instead of the entry-level version.

The deal just happens to coincide with the release of the final Windows 8 beta, otherwise known as the Release Candidate. Microsoft has said that the RC will be available the first week of June while many expect the full retail version to ship later this year, likely in October.

WinSuperSite also claims that Microsoft will be providing in-the-box upgrades to Windows 8 users much like they did with the Windows Anytime Upgrade system. This would allow Win 8 users to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro and Windows Media Center although there’s no word yet on how much these upgrades will cost.

Permalink to story.

Regardless of whether the upgrade is worth it, I'm expecting new PCs to offer a free upgrade to Windows 8 as it's always been.

This is <singing style="neil.patrick.harris;">Awesome!</singing>

I'm planning on getting a new box around mid to end of NYC summer. And I was going to have to get Windows 8 Pro and that is cool that it will be just 15 bucks. Now I need to just need to figure out where I'm going to get a box from since I usually build my own... this might not work out the way I expect... ::sigh::

awh... the code to prevent HTML tags and cross site scripting ruined my post =(

the first line should read... 'This is [singing style="Neil.Patrick.Harris"]Awesome![/singing]'

You couldn't pay me to "downgrade" to windows 8, MS is in denail of the general concensus by non fanboys about its new Vista , Windows Me OS.

As someone said earlier in another thread, If intel has the tick tock cycle then this is intels flop cycle, in the meantime I hope Gabe newells backing of linux steam client and source engine games rattles and shakes things up to allow some competition in the desktop market of OS's.

I'm wondering how many people invoking Me actually used it.

Reminds me of how everyone was using All Your Base Are Belong To Us as if they all played it as a kid.

Actually, I was thinking I would buy a new laptop just before windows 8 launched specifically because I wanted to ensure I got the 'old' OS.

I'm waiting till Q3-Q4 for a new laptop, so I'll take what I'll get... If I don't like what I've got, I'll upgrade or downgrade as necessary. Of course, I'm not taking into consideration of "the laziness" factor lol.

Will this be another Windows ME / Vista. Where users will stick to Windows 7 for next 8 - 10 years ?

Well there is that option, but who's to say they will have drivers for the 'old' OS should you choose to downgrade?

All I want is an Ivy Bridge dual core (maybe quad if the battery life is comparable), a 1920x1080 15.6" screen, and windows 7. I can't think of anything more miserable than being sent by work to some conference and having to choose between taking notes and working remotely from my cell phone or my laptop that thinks its a cell phone.

if a consumer does not like windows 8 metro interface, then he better stick with his windows 7/xp/linux.

if microsoft fails to sell enough copies, then windows OS is done.

this windows 8 release will be a referendum.

if windows 8 delivers, 8aters will eat their words.

if windows 8 fails, 8aters will eat apple and the iDevices win.

To the person who said theya re wondering how many used Me the answer is probably more than you would think, I used it and it was deplorable and when given the option others who were using it quickly went back to win2000 instead

I'll wait for the RC.

I'll reserve my judgement until I see the final product. If they make the right changes (namely keyboard and mouse navigation overhaul, and Start Screen to/from desktop transition tweaks), then I don't see why not upgrade.

if microsoft fails to sell enough copies, then windows OS is done.

Uh, yeah. Wow. Are you moonlighting here from your day job as a IT analyst?

OS runs most of the world's computers and infrastructure. You know what happens if it is a flop? Nothing. They release a new one in two years, and people keep using Windows 7. What are they going to do? Go to Linux? Nope. Everyone switches to Apple? Impossible, even if Zombie Steve Jobs was to take the helm again. Android? Yeah, if the world suddenly revolved around launching birds at bricks. Your scenario only makes sense if a viable alternative suddenly appears, which there isn't.

So basically while everyone spells the doom and gloom of MS, the reality is that nothing will happen. The only thing that will happen is a lot of ink written by tech writers looking for page hits, and those page hits will be supplied by fanboys and anti fanboys who will ***** and rave about this OS for the next two years. And the rest of the world will move on.

Just some of the things that are missing, is reason enough to avoid 8 like the plague.
Avoided Vista, in fact paid extra to get a dell desktop with XP, best money I ever spent.

@ gwailo - quote "Your scenario only makes sense if a viable alternative suddenly appears, which there isn't. "

It still doesn't make sense. You're right about MS's being entrenched, but you didn't take it far enough. I work in company with an IT department of over 1000, the Windows 7 testing (to upgrade from XP) took like 18 months and cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Not only does there need to be a viable solution, it needs to work like windows to prevent training, be as stable and secure (go ahead, make a joke if you must), and work with countless pieces of existing software that was built on windows xp/7. Even if MS went out of business tomorrow, we'd be using their stuff for years to come.

I 2nd your opinion on Win 8 too... it's more hype than anything else. It's their first attempt at a tablet AND PC OS. Expect it to be clunky and not very popular.

BUY Windows 8? No thanks. If I wanted my desktop to look like the android desktop, I'd buy a Galaxy S3.

Also,

>Buying software

"shut the hell up and let people discuss the actual article."

Do you not see the hypocrisy in that statement, this place is not a fanboys avenu anything is open for debate in a reasonable and intelligible manner you should try it someday.

Back on topic, now MS have resorted to giving it away for $15 why not just give a "desktop" version to those who wish for it and the "we want to fight apple for its market share version" to the others?

I hope they keep driver support for Windows 7. I kinda like it and I really don't want to resort to ****dows 8 any time soon.

WTF happened to the free upgrade like it has been since XP? Previously if you bought a PC within 3 before launch of a new OS, they would give you a FREE upgrade to that new OS

Has it become popular to just hate windows 8? No one is giving it credit for what it's going to do for tablets and phones. Sure, people are disappointed about the desktop part of it, but I feel it will completely change the way we use tablets and phones.

Regardless of whether the upgrade is worth it, I'm expecting new PCs to offer a free upgrade to Windows 8 as it's always been.
Indeed. The last time I bought a branded desktop it came with Windows 95, despite it being July 1998. I got a free Windows 98 upgrade disk with the PC though.

Back