Microsoft to reduce Zune Pass subscription price?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

According to a report by Bloomberg, Microsoft might slash the price of its Zune Pass online music streaming service. Although the service is already a bargain, Redmond is up against fierce competition like Apple, who currently commands a vast majority of digital music sales. Apple and its legion of iPods also held 76% of the portable music player market in the first quarter, compared to 2% for Microsoft's Zune, according to NPD.

Meanwhile, Rhapsody, another face in the music download business, recently reduced the monthly price of its premier music service from $14.99 to $9.99. That fee gets you unlimited streaming across a variety of hardware, including PCs, home audio equipment, and one mobile device.

For $14.99 a month, Zune Pass also offers unlimited music streaming to as many as three portable devices and three computers. Additionally, you can download 10 DRM-free songs per month – no strings attached, yours to keep forever. If Microsoft cuts its rate, Zune Pass will undoubtedly be the best value available, short of piracy.

Permalink to story.

They might be able to grab more of the market share if they marketed the Zune better. Heck I'd buy a Zune HD if I could, but they're currently only available in the US.

It would be nice if it was actually available outside the US... like Canada. Until then, I couldn't give two farts about it.

Yeah - what's with the limited availability - here in Africa we buy ipods even though we can't access music via itunes. It would be nice if the zune was sold here.

I think the Zune services are going international with the release of Windows Phone 7, which will basically be phones + zune players. I would imagine the Zune Hardware itself will follow this when they release the Zune HD 2, which should be able to access the international WP7 app store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back