TechSpot

Microsoft to replace Points system with real currency, gift cards

By Shawn Knight
May 15, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft is doing away with the points system used to purchase virtual goods on the Xbox gaming console. In its place, Redmond will adopt a gift card system according to sources familiar with Microsoft’s Xbox plans as first reported by...

Read more

2. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TS Maniac Posts: 488   +10

I think this is great.

The thing is, I did not mind Xbox Live Points all together; however, I was not pleased with the way Microsoft priced everything so that you would have a perpetual balance in your account that could never fully be spent unless you purchased more points in set amounts. This could have been fixed if you could purchase smaller amounts of points to cover a transaction.

Nevertheless, having more options to use regular old money: credit, or maybe even PayPal, will be good in overall. Amazon just introduced its own currency so go figure. Then again they have many options to purchase your stuff, so I suppose it is about more options to pay.

cmbjive likes this.
  3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,207   +776

This is far better but what about Games for Windows Live (or Marketplace) on the PC. I already have close to 10000 points. I hope us PC gamers are not forgotten as per usual.

4. Timonius

Timonius TS Booster Posts: 584   +33

This couldn't happen sooner. The longer they take, the less $ they get from me....wait, Steam has had it right for years...oh well.

5. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Enthusiast Posts: 549   +89

Glad to see they finally made the move. Buying blocks of points didn't bother me, but not being able to apply your balance of points towards download able content did.

6. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TS Maniac Posts: 488   +10

I'm sure they will give time for people to use up their points or some conversation system... otherwise there will be major fallout and you'd think that is something they would want to avoid during the year of the next gen launch.

7. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,035   +914

Good thing. It will make more money.

8. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,473   +622

I think you're referring to 'game points' and not 'microsoft points'. Or whatever they're called...

The article refers to the credits you purchase using coupons, which you then use to purchase content in-game. I believe the points you're referring to (from previous GFWL experience) are like those on Xbox - they are received when you complete achievements and count for nothing apart from 'rep'.

9. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,207   +776

Yeah you're right. I am referring to game points. I was getting my wires crossed.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.