TechSpot

Microsoft to retire Messenger service on March 15

By Jos
Jan 9, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Back in November Microsoft confirmed that moving forward Skype and Messenger were to become one. The shift already started with Skype 6.0 allowing users to log in using Microsoft account credentials, but on March 15 the longstanding instant messaging service...

Read more

2. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Addict Posts: 639   +127

Well, Microsoft's certainly worked hard enough to kill MSN. At least we finally have a burial date. It was a fairly nice program when it was used as designed, when it was an instant messaging program. Then Microslop lost the plot, turned it into a bodged together social media hub with a messaging feature barely tacked on and everybody either lost interest and moved on to more built-for-purpose products or looked for a way to downgrade.

3. And they are gonna make a little more complex to use with the skype.

4. Steve

Steve TechSpot Staff Posts: 1,463   +508 Staff Member

I have tried using Skype rather than Messenger and personally I hated it. So I guess like many others already do I will use a third party app.

5. avoidz

avoidz TS Maniac Posts: 454   +54

Same. Skype is a bloated program not built for simple text chatting. I won't be using it.

6. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Enthusiast Posts: 811   +91

I'm going to miss messenger. First meebo gets collected by google and now messenger merges with skype :T

I'll stick with pidgin and trillian in the meantime >_>

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.