Microsoft to ship Project Natal October 26 for $149?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

A "trusted source" has informed Edge-Online that Microsoft will ship its Xbox 360 motion controller worldwide around late October, and it will supposedly cost more than expected. Based on current exchange rates, Edge reports that the standalone controller will retail for £103/€121/$149, while a console and Project Natal bundle will be £207/€243/$299.

That conflicts with previous talk of Project Natal launching for $80, and if true, it would make Microsoft's peripheral far more expensive than Sony's PlayStation Move, which is expected to be bundled with a PS3 game for less than $100.

The source also said that Microsoft plans to ditch the name "Project Natal" for something a bit more market-friendly. The controller's commercial name should be revealed next month during its world premiere on June 13.

Permalink to story.

I don't mean to sound negative, but I just have this feeling Natal is not going to be that successful. I mean, Sony's move, seems like a more practical alternative; I assure you not everyone wants to sweat while playing Street Fighter or something.

Well, maybe that's just me, who knows. I do think it's a great invention for many other uses, but for gaming it just doesn't seem right. Hopefully when it is launched officially, I might have changed my mind.

Will their be a elite version for $400? I kind of find it surprising that they'll have the 360's price down to $150. Well, if it's the elite version I'll be surprised.

While I still see Natal having lots of potential depending what they develop for it, $150 is simply to much. I for one will not purchase it at that price, unless of course their E3 presentation just blows me away. Then again you only need one peripheral per system rather then one per user, but that doesn't justify such a high starting price. I guess well see in a couple weeks during E3 if it's worth it or not.

Oh and I hope they pick a good new name.

Threads like this are puzzling. I see people predicting failure and that its "too expensive" , however I see no one talking about what the thing does, or how well it does it. I have watched demos of Project Natal, and if the finished version does as well as the demos, It make Wii look rather primitive and a steal for $150.00. They are saying that it will give the console a life cycle to 2015....so lets see....$150/4years= $37.50 a year. $37.50/12mo= $3.13 a month....who spends many times that a month on coffee,water,lottery tickets? last time I went to the movies (last week) it was $10 a head. if you use the Natal only one hour a week, The Natal costs 72 cents per entertainment hour. I mean c'mon....who spends more than $3.13 a month on coffee?? (someone double check my math please)

The only problem with the 10 year life span idea is the fact that no one seemsl to mention that they released newer consoles during those spans. The PS2 was released 5 years after the launch of the PS1 and the PS1 when on to have another 5 years of life after that. The same was true with the PS2. Even though the PS3 launched 4 years ago, you can still get a decent number of PS2 versions of the same game today.

The PS3 and 360 will be supported with software until 2015, but I think it's unrealistic to think we won't see new hardware until then.

ddg4005 said:
My lack of an Xbox 360 notwithstanding why can't I get excited about this? Motion controllers don't get me pumped up at all.
I have to agree. I still prefer regular means of controlling my games :p.
I mean I own a Wii for only 2 reasons (in order of how important they are) 1) Super Smash Bros. 2) Girlfriend wanted one :p.
I don't even really use the Wii at all, and when I do I try to use a game cube controller as much as possible.

But at the same time this new generation of motion control is supposed to be SO much better, but to that I say the Wii was supposed to be revolutionary and incredible!!! But it was a let down for me, and most the games I have played on it to me don't feel like the use the full capabilities of the controller, either that or the full capabilities of the controller aren't what I thought they should be.

Seems a little late, the whole "actual motion" thing is getting really old to most. If people wanted to actually run, jump, and play... they would go outside and do just that. Most want to relax, sit down, and play.

@ red1776:

Do you really believe that the WaveEyetoy will last for 4yrs? How many X-Boxes did you or anyone here replaced withing that time?? lol... I know people who has gone over 7. And Oh! to follow your logic... I guess I shouldn't complain about games being too expensive then??

@ red1776:

Do you really believe that the WaveEyetoy will last for 4yrs? How many X-Boxes did you or anyone here replaced withing that time?? lol... I know people who has gone over 7. And Oh! to follow your logic... I guess I shouldn't complain about games being too expensive then??

I know people who has gone over 7.

ummmm...what?
If i gather what I think you meant, then cut it to three years...or two. My point was and is that electronics overall represent a very good "hours of enjoyment/price ratio" I believe. to be more succinct, it amazes me that people will spend $5.50 on a latte, or tap water with a label, and complain about things that they get hundreds or even thousands of hours of enjoyment out of for pennies an hour. Let me add some perspective. I looked up Minnesota Twins tickets yesterday. The seats alone in left center field were $51 a piece or $204 for the whole family, for a three hour game.

And Oh! to follow your logic... I guess I shouldn't complain about games being too expensive then??

....and oh! Video games being "too expensive" is your opinion. I don't give a rats *** if you complain about the price. You decide what a product is worth by purchasing it, or not purchasing it. If you have ever purchased a video game....then you proved that it is worth the price.......see how that works?

For me, with this device, it all depends on the party games. By myself, I can picture a few mystery games, maybe some casual games, but I doubt I'll be playing Rage with this. But if there is a good variety of family and party games $149 isn't that bad. But I wouldn't spend $149 for one game, and no hope of anything else to release.

i'm not intrested in changing controller for games and i certainly dont want to be jumping around or having to move much , i play games to chill out and relax , so i definelty wouldnt buy it for the games i play . Maybe they will come up with another good use for it , something imaginitive , who knows.

This is not new stuff. Ps2 had the eyetoy, and the pc had the webcam. I used both to play games years and years ago. M$ makes you think this is new? It's not even new to the gaming console. I think i'll pass on this one M$, but thanks for trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back