Microsoft to showcase Natal at Gamefest in February

By Jos
Nov 23, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Microsoft today announced that it will reveal more details about its upcoming motion sensing peripheral for the Xbox 360, codenamed Project Natal, to developers at its Gamefest conference this February. According to the event's website, one session will focus on designing games for the peripheral while another gets into the technical aspects of it, giving advice on gesture recognition, avatar retargeting, speech recognition and more.

Read the whole story
  2. BlindObject

BlindObject Newcomer, in training Posts: 446

I think it's gonna be like $150, no games included except for maybe those shown at the intros.
  3. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TechSpot Booster Posts: 656   +35

$50-$80 are just rumors, but if I know the money hungry people at Micro$oft it wont be in that range unless there is some sort of a weird subscription fee which makes them $.
  4. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TechSpot Maniac Posts: 530

they will prob release new xbox models that come with it, and offer it at a loss to get people to buy it. (I am no analyst, but mark my word whn the day comes!) I think 3D on the PS3 will be bigger...
  5. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,847   +64

has anyone seen this thing in action (previews) of it around?
  6. ajickes

ajickes Newcomer, in training

I've seen video demonstrations online - it looks great. I wonder how this will compare with a similar project that the PlayStation group is embarking on.
  7. PCIGamer

PCIGamer Newcomer, in training Posts: 113

If Tony Hawk : Ride is any indication of things to come I think this will be fail for gaming. I will stick to a controller and/or mouse/keyboard
  8. RealXboxMaster

RealXboxMaster Newcomer, in training Posts: 139

Response to gobbybobby

Sony just annouced it. It's vaporware as of now. I really don't think it will be that big. First of all some of the population suffer fron dizzyiness when playing a 3D game. MS on the other hand already showed Natal technology and it's the best idea yet that will sell pretty well if marketed right with the right games.
  9. RealXboxMaster

Yes, Project Natal enables users to control and interact with the Xbox 360 without the need to touch a game controller through a natural user interface using gestures/full body movement. The word natal means "of or relating to birth", reflecting Microsoft's view of the project as "the birth of the next-generation of home entertainment"
  10. RealXboxMaster

I would say this device will retail around $79-$99 when it hits stroes nation wide.
  11. Hyperian

Hyperian Newcomer, in training Posts: 25

didnt they show it off during E3 and people found out there was a guy sitting on the back controlling one of the games for natal? and the video they have of the kid riding skateboard is silly, should just ride a real skateboard outside.
  12. yangly18

yangly18 Newcomer, in training Posts: 242

The idea of it is good, don't get me wrong. I just dont see myself using it. It would remind me off the Wii too much, and I'm sure we all know how sometimes games can be challenging when you are using motion as a controller, especially in tight spots. I still don't see how they will be able to intigrate this into the majority of the games that are produced for the xbox. It worked fine for the Wii only because the games designed for that consol were basic movement type games, like wii sports. I've only played a couple shooter type games on the Wii like metroid and medal of honor, and I did not like them at all. Considering the larger majority of games on the xbox are shooters/action type games, I dont see this as being a big hit with thoes kinds of gamers.
  13. nubnasty

nubnasty Newcomer, in training

Natal will hit the market hard if its specs actually designed to follow basic movement. Im pretty sure there will be a lot of disappointments because people would expect it to be better.

14. Nirkon

Nirkon TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 243

You know, $50-80 doesn't sound that bad at all...
    but since its just rumors it'll probably end up costing more
  15. lupinnktp

lupinnktp Newcomer, in training Posts: 44

nice, isn't it? and quite affordable too. juz wondering how well it works
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.