Microsoft to start releasing automatic Internet Explorer updates

By Matthew
Dec 15, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft announced today that it plans to start releasing automatic Internet Explorer updates in the near future. Starting next month, Windows XP, Vista and 7 users in Australia and Brazil will…

Read the whole story
  2. mevans336

mevans336 TS Enthusiast Posts: 161   +11

About damn time.
  3. tw0rld

tw0rld TS Maniac Posts: 572   +6

How about forcing updates on ie6 and 7. This would save developers a lot of time.
  4. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,937   +157

I wish all browser would auto update, I use FF and as far as I can tell auto updates are off by default.
  5. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,681   +86

I may not be 100% accurate, but most of those stuck with IE6 are in corporate sector, where things are driven by 'lower the cost' mantra, hence, hardware and software are rarely upgraded, unless they are forced to do it because of some sort of failure.
  6. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 513   +8

There's an app that ninja stops Windows Update and Windows Firewall services in all the PC's i touch... Now Masochistic does this?
  7. This would be more acceptable to me if IE were an optional install. All the other cited products are only installed if you want them.

The company I work for uses a WSUS server to release updates only as an admin approves them after testing (usually). I assume that will still prevent the office PC's from automatically updating. I know there are some conflicts with IE9 and some applications in our environment.
  8. mattfrompa

mattfrompa TS Guru Posts: 490   +16

So long as you don't manually check for updates through Microsoft/Windows Update and just ones your admin approves it will. But you can obviously still check for updates approved by WSUS.
  9. Ummm, this is not about automatically updating to newer browser versions (6 to 7, 7 to 8, 8 to 9). It's about automatic updates to your current version. Have you never seen updates to IE9, after you've already installed it? That's what they're talking about.