TechSpot

Microsoft to use 'Windows 8' as replacement for 'Metro' branding

By Shawn Knight
Aug 10, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Last week we learned through a leaked internal memo that Microsoft would be doing away with the Metro branding to describe the user interface in Windows 8. It is believed that Microsoft would face copyright infringement issues from German retailer…

Read more

2. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Maniac Posts: 1,173   +243

How it was "Use Metro in windows 8!" how it is now " use Windows 8 in Windows 8!" lol I find it funny how much stuff is copyrighted and they could have got a bit of advertisement ;)

3. They should have replaced "Metro" with "Unproductive."

“Metro-style applications” would be "Unproductive applications."

“Metro user interface” would be "Unproductive user interface."

4. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Its kind of a smart move if you think about it. By having Metro be something that is on top of the Windows 8 interface, it implies that a) its something different and b) its something that can be removed.

Since its integrated into the OS, and it cannot be removed, they're just acknowledging that its part of the OS, like it or not.

5. KoJoT1234

KoJoT1234 TS Rookie

Completely agree with you, gave the preview version a 2 week test drive, it simply does not do a good job. It slows you down and is totally NOT a corporate environment OS. Will stick to 7 unless they patch this "let's give users a hard time" feature.

6. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 881   +130

I've been using Win8 as my primary driver at home for a couple of months and on a VM at work... I haven't noticed any loss of productivity beyond the first week.

7. I bet everybody except Microsoft will still call it Metro, but MS has now covered themselves.

8. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

Well then Win 9 will use Windows 8 UI or are they going to create a whole new UI for every new release of Windows.

I really don't know what Steve Ballmer is still doing as CEO of MS.

9. @treeski: You were probably never very productive to begin with.

10. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 881   +130

Ohhhh man, you're a clever one!

11. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 930   +106

And here I was pulling for Moronic UI, oh well leave it to Microsoft to take something different and brand it under the same Windows name. Oh well, there's always Windows 9 to look forward to, or not...

12. Chazz

Chazz TS Enthusiast Posts: 634   +60

Windows 8 UI? More like Windows AINT UI!!

Am I doing it rite?!?!

13. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,078   +76

It will always be the Metrosexual UI to me.

14. You folks claiming you lose productivity because of Metro are just outing yourselves as someone who has never even used Win8. You don't have to use Metro. Anyone that has tried Win8 knows this. I use it daily and only see Metro when I want to (which is rare).

15. pmcardle

pmcardle TS Rookie Posts: 94   +14

I agree, metro (or Win 8 UI) only appears on bootup,which by the way is smokin fast, and then I never see it again. I then get the bentifit of using a much improved, optimised OS. Don't see what all the fuss is about with people complaining. I guess some people can't handle change.

16. I wonder if MetroTwit will become Windows 8 Twit.

17. You know there's something wrong when an OS has two desktops to do one job... Yes now it takes two desktops to open Microsoft word....

18. So this is what happens when Bill Gates leaves the company.... We're all doomed!

19. Censorship? What did I say? Why was my post deleted? I guess I proved why there is no benefit in Windows 8 over Windows 7 so you deleted my post. Nice...

20. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,116   +1,523

There are several reasons why a post is deleted. Posting the truth is not one of the reasons.

21. Gamesinner

Gamesinner TS Rookie Posts: 80

Now they just need to get rid of the Metro interface and maybe they won't have another Vista on their hands.

22. They should just call it "Hetro" and be done with it.

23. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,948   +381

I dont care about metro if its optional, what I care about is the omission of the start menu. THERES NO REASON MS CANT ADD BOTH.

24. Doctor John

Doctor John TS Enthusiast Posts: 247   +15

Actually, there is a start menu, you just right-click at the bottom left corner of the desktop (just where the Start button should be!) and it pops up (I don't actually like Windows 8 at all but I remembered that from trying it out - prefer 7/XP/Linux as it happens)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.