Microsoft tried to buy Facebook outright for $15 billion

By Emil
Dec 9, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. A few years back, Microsoft wanted to buy Facebook for $15 billion. Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer was really interested, but apparently Facebook CEO mark Zuckerberg said no and the acquisition never happened.

Read the whole story
  2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,319   +370

""Facebook had a lot of similarities to Microsoft back in the day."

Huh???
  3. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,573   +47

I still can't get over that 50 billion figure...Madness it is, although kudos for not handing over to Microsoft Zuckerberg.
  4. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

I'm sorry, but if I owned FB I'd be heading to the bank with a 50 Billion dollar cheque right now. It won't be worth that in a few years time....
  5. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

6. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

If I could get 1 billion dollars I'd be doing the same thing as I said above - But I totally get your point. Thanks for the link. :)
  7. "I still can't get over that 50 billion figure...Madness it is, although kudos for not handing over to Microsoft Zuckerberg."

You think Microsoft is more evil than Facebook?
  8. matrix86

matrix86 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 800   +8

My thoughts exactly, lol. Could use an explination there.
  9. Benny26

Hell yes. Microsoft are trying to get their greasy mits on everything..Instead of compeating, Microsoft's policy seems to be just buy out what ever is in the way (yeees i know, capitalism right).

One day, it will just be Microsoft and Google ruling the waves..At least Zuckerberg had the guts to say "nah, 15 billion don't fill me Gates"...I agree with Leeky though, i would probably be on my private island by now without a care in the world...Drinking some sort of strong cocktail.
  10. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 941   +42

First, It wasn't Gates, it was Balmer. Second, considering how Facebook essentially sells your information (I'm sorry, makes available) to advertisers, I'd find that to be potentially more dangerous. Third, Google is far more guilty of buying out other companies than Microsoft, ESPECIALLY as of late.

Your argument, she has been taken by Davy Jones' Locker. :)
  11. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +90

^This. So much.

Waiting for an explanation...

12. Lurker101

Lurker101 TechSpot Addict Posts: 626   +122

What you lot haven't considered yet though, is what would Facebook be like if Microsoft had bought Facebook outright?
  13. Johny47

Johny47 Newcomer, in training Posts: 157

This is a perfect example than way too much money than good sense =/
  14. I'm still not on Facebook, don't use it or view it and never intend to.
  15. brianmsu

brianmsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 27

This^. Benny26 was post was clearly out of resentment for Microsoft and without reason
  16. Benny26

Oh yes sorry, i forgot that Gates had no input in those sort of things...Davy's locker my ****. Bill was and always will be the puppet master (and rightly so).

The only resentment i have is for tactics, not for the company itself...

Besides, i have windows 7 and i love it to be honest. I like the quality Microsoft put in to their products...The prices although, can be eye watering sometimes for what you're actually getting.
  17. matrix86

No, he was saying your argument was taken down to Jones' locker. Not Gates.

You say you have no resentment for Microsoft, but you think it would be evil for Microsoft to buyout facebook without a valid reason as to why. How could M$ possibly make facebook any worse than it already is? They aren't constantly criticized for changing privacy setting on their users without telling them, and we haven't had to worry about our information being sold (erm..."made available") to advertisers. Facebook is bringing in a TON of cash...buying it would be a smart move for M$. It's not about control, it's about money (hence their entrance into the search world with Bing and their reintroduction of their smartphone OS). They see how much is being made and they want that.

If M$ were to buy facebook, they could potentially turn it around and actually make it something nice without its users constantly complaining about their privacy. This, in turn, would make facebook last even longer. But this is considering M$ would actually be fair to facebook users and not continue the anti-privacy charade we are already seeing with facebook.

This, I highly agree with, lol.
  18. lchu12

lchu12 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 199   +9

It's all about perspectives... If I had a share in Microsoft, I would be cheering on all their business endeavers. No matter how "evil" it is, besides its not like they are leaking classified strategic sites to everyone including the terrorists.

19. Benny26

lol, there's obviously some communication problem here..I know what Davy jones locker is and i'm not "arguing" anything. I have an opinion just like everyone else.

Hey, i never said the "evil" word either..I (just in my own opinion) think that it's better for facebook and business in general, that M$ didn't get it. You on the other hand obviously think the opposite, and fair enough.

Microsoft's dominance in the PC software market and it's general size overall is quite something...I would have thought that if M$ was a bank, the law (in my country at least) just wouldn't allow it to operate.
  20. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 948   +29

Both were started due to a dead with the devil.
  21. matrix86

22. Benny26

Ahh, communication problems again. Let's get off Mr Jones eh?.

First off, "evil" is stealing all the children's toys out of an orphanage the night before christmas. My opinion of the tactics (not the business as i've said before) i regard as "not good for business"...Like i said before again "If M$ was a bank in the UK, by law, it wouldn't be allowed to operate" simple as that really.

Second,...Errrm.....Errr...Bedtime i think lol :D
  23. matrix86

I see it more as "laziness" than "evil". There are several other social networking sites out there. Facebook isn't alone, it's just the most popular. Instead of making their own social networking site, they are wanting to buy the most popular one (a smart business move that has more to do with money than control). We still have Buzz and Twitter, plus the much less well known sites that get no publicity, therefore sit in the background of the net hidden from view by the big boys.

So I see no "evil" in M$ wanting to buy out Facebook. And like I said, they would probably even improve it by taking care of all the privacy issues that Mark seems to not care about. Then again, that could be how he's making so much money, lol.
  24. vlad4861

vlad4861 Newcomer, in training

OK PEAPLE..how can u compare microsoft with facebook... facebook is FREE...Microsoft is make me pay everytime i buy something from them...i think i understand that fb has issues with privacy policies or with people that don't read them (I didn't)....but fb has been pretty transparent so far and gave a feedback on their changes of policies and intentions. plz tell me whats wrong with any of this
  25. actionjksn

actionjksn Newcomer, in training

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.