TechSpot

Microsoft unveils Windows 8 "Surface" tablets: More PC-like, not just another cookie-cutter design

By Matthew
Jun 18, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. One of the key changes in Windows 8 is, as you very well know, improved support for tablets. Microsoft has fully embraced this aspect of the operating system, unveiling its own tablet line during a "mystery" event in Los Angeles,…

Read more
  2. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 902   +52

That has some potential, especially the i5 version.
  3. m4a4

m4a4 TS Addict Posts: 528   +146

Hmmm... it's the first tablet that I actually wanted, but that feeling is gone.
  4. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 875   +130

I hope the battery life on these things will really kick butt. So far, they're looking really good.
  5. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 955   +49

I'd possibly be interested in the i5 version myself...
  6. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

Damn that's sexy.

I'm not so worried about battery life; Windows 8 is truly efficient. Like, ridiculously efficient. I assume it would perform better than the new iPad.

All I need to know is the pricing, then I'm sold.
  7. Windows anytime, anywhere on everything. It's going to be huge.
  8. nismo91

nismo91 TS Guru Posts: 1,003   +11

I've gotten my hands on a samsung slate, the one with i5 2467M and Windows 7 preinstalled. it's not as thin as other tablet, but it's comparable to most ultrabook, and will make a ultrabook a run for its money. it seems that after the recent show all major manufacturers are coming with win8 tablets and once the price is right, I'll definitely get one. the slate that I got my hands on cost a whopping 1400$!
  9. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

Put Kinect in it.
  10. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

This tablets do look interesting I might consider getting an ARM one when we know more about the devices. Any ETA?
  11. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,260   +147

Intresting design..

Looks like tablets are going to evolve in to strange new breed... I shall call them laptops..

12. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,049   +75

I like the way MS has gone with it, instead of coming out with another iPad copycat (like most of the Android tablets) it has gone on a different path, and I think it could be a winner & first ever tablet I may buy :)
  13. When Microsoft killed the Courier, I wasn't sure if they would ever field anything as interesting anymore.

When Microsoft debuted the Windows 8 Consumer Preview, I wasn't sure if they forgot that being productive (and playing high production games) is why people still like the Windows ecosystem.

I'm glad this Surface tablet actually tries to rectify both problems. I'm not entirely sold on the ARM version until more programs and apps appear for it, but at least the Intel version I can see being seriously used in companies as more than just a display screen, while seamlessly working with existing infrastructures like Active Directory. And being able to install all my x86 software.

The Surface isn't revolutionary (and don't forget that the Surface has been around for a while in the form of those giant touch table computers that some restaurants and businesses have), but it sure does seem to hit the right notes for people who want something more than just a toy.
  14. Steve

Steve TechSpot Staff Posts: 1,364   +458 Staff Member

The Core i5 version looks great, very keen to get one of these :)
  15. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

What are the GPU specs?
  16. Steve

Steve TechSpot Staff Posts: 1,364   +458 Staff Member

At a guess I would say Intel HD 4000 for the i5 and ULP GeForce for the Tegra 3 (assuming that's what the ARM version uses).
  17. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,551   +97

My only issue with this is the completely flat keyboard. Not sure about anyone else but I really don't find typing on that sort of thing comfortable.
  18. Then dont get that smart cover and plug pretty much any other keyboard you fancy into it.
  19. I hope it does not cost an ARM for the windows RT Surface version.

if microsoft will sell the windows PRO surface version @500-600$ to compete with the android-powered samsung galaxy note I and II, then I'm gonna work extra to have it asap.
  20. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,575   +47

Agreed.

I must say though, kudos to Microsoft for not just banging out a carbon-copy tablet like most others have. This really does look good.

But I don't know, I'd still probably prefer a new laptop of some kind. I just haven't caught the tablet "bug" like most have.
  21. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Well done on MS for being original (more so than the Android tablets anyway), the Pro version with the i5 is interesting for sure. Assuming the 64GB version is $800 that's actually not much more than a 64GB iPad but with 10x the functionality.
  22. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

I like the dual option cover/keyboard. That's pretty innovative. But I'm not sure if I'm ready to plop down money on a 1st gen tablet. I'd probably wait until mid to late 2013 for the second gen Windows 8 tablets, once they iron out the bugs.
  23. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

But did you guys see the Type Cover? It's a thicker, tactile keyboard. The Tocuh Cover is the one that's just 3mm thick. Either, its is a very interesting product.
  24. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,659   +82

Price is high but that's SRP though say $600 is more what it should go for retail an add another $100 for HSN, QVC and ShopNBC peddling fees. I am using SKYTEX SKYTAB 9.7" 2GB, 1080p HDMI port dual USB ports, got flex stand a Logitech Wireless K260 hooked via USB dongle with Windows 8 RPE for now the WiFi, WLAN, WWAN seem to plague us still like it did with all versions of Windows. Way oh why is MS still pushing these OS in a default code mode. Push it to the extreme and make these tablets fly off in sales. With my code name Jasper for Windows 8 and Jet for Windows 7 tablets you can full networking as it should be both found on STZ Forums II for SKYTAB. Still I am sure surface is going to be quick with the dual core it comes with. The Windows 8 Metro needs some more work it's not like Android GUI nor a Apple GUI still reminds me of Windows 7 except for the tile Overlay features.

But Windows 8 good breaking point for the really first end MS Tablets to run real OS for tablets than it did with with Windows 7. Right now MS Store seems very limited in apps to download but some of these apps from MS an others a really cool.
  25. Jesse

Jesse TechSpot Staff Posts: 369   +40

That commercial was so sex!!!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.