Microsoft updates WP7 developer tools, adds copy and paste

Emil

Staff

Microsoft has updated its developer tools for Windows Phone 7, adding copy and paste functionality, improving app performance, and implementing other enhancements. The update includes reference assemblies, a new version of the Windows Phone OS emulator image, several minor bug fixes, and all improvements in previous updates; although it is branded as an update, you don't need to download an older version first if you don't already have one. You can download it directly from here: Windows Phone Developer Tools January 2011 Update.

The update is for developers only: it lets them start building the apps with updated assemblies that will ship in the next Windows Phone 7 update for consumers. All apps which are already in the Windows Phone Marketplace will of course still work on WP7 devices that get updated to the new version of the OS and any app built using this new version of the tools will also work on phones that have not received the upcoming WP7 update. Most apps will not need to be recompiled or resubmitted, but Microsoft will be scanning the marketplace and contacting developers to let them know of a few corner cases.

Microsoft took the new update as an opportunity to announce that the Windows Phone Developer Tools have already passed the 1 million download mark, in less than a year. 27,000 developers have registered on AppHub, and there are now over 7,500 apps in the Windows Phone Marketplace.

Permalink to story.

I think they are mocking the (late) functionality, not the phone itself. I have the Quantum, and it's a great phone too.

Anyway, any word on when they will release the actual update for consumers? I know is this month, but when?

Lawfer said:
I think they are mocking the (late) functionality, not the phone itself. I have the Quantum, and it's a great phone too.

Anyway, any word on when they will release the actual update for consumers? I know is this month, but when?

Oooh 1 function was late. Let's mock the entire OS. Simple minds shouldn't read wp7 articles. They should just read ios ones.

I don't understand why people have the urge to mock ANY mobile OS. Different options makes for more choices and overall more competition between the companies.

I wanted the best of both worlds. The Omnia 7 was the phone I originally wanted but i realized it wasn't available. So i'm definitely glad HTC gave us the Mozart. Marketplace is good but there isn't a whole lot and I wish MS would segregate apps and music. When you do a search for say an app called "live", you'll get results of not only apps but music as well. Quite annoying...

treeski said:
I don't understand why people have the urge to mock ANY mobile OS. Different options makes for more choices and overall more competition between the companies.

Ok treeski you have to admit that some mobile OS's were silly. Like samsung bada on the samsung wave. It's a terrible OS and failed miserably.

I want a windows phone. I really want the omnia 7, but sadly that won't be released in the states. So I'm kinda stuck waiting on a device that suits me well. How's the battery life on the HD7?

Simple things like no copy/paste don't bother me. That's obviously something to be corrected in the future.

Chazz said:
I want a windows phone. I really want the omnia 7, but sadly that won't be released in the states. So I'm kinda stuck waiting on a device that suits me well. How's the battery life on the HD7?

Simple things like no copy/paste don't bother me. That's obviously something to be corrected in the future.

Well as this article shows copy and paste has just been added. The HD7 is a great phone. I can manage 36 hours if I don't constantly use HSPA.

I'm still on Java Virtual Machine, so you are fully entitled to mock me.

Hi Princeton

copy'n'paste is not the only function missing!!!!

I have 5 year old phones that will allow hotswapping of sd cards, bluetooth 3g tethering, custom ring tones, registry hacks, the list goes on- sure some of those things are possible with WP7 if you jailbreak it first.

I am glad that you are happy with your phone but it is far from the beast it should be...

Princeton said:
Oooh 1 function was late. Let's mock the entire OS. Simple minds shouldn't read wp7 articles. They should just read ios ones.

All of this reminds of all the "OMG no copy and paste!" comments for the iPhone OS too.

Of course that was two years ago.. It was silly then and it is even more silly now not to have copy 'n paste out of the box. Shame on Microsoft for this, but I hear good things about the product so they must have done some other things right. :)

I hope they realize what took Microsoft 3 months took Apple 3 years so BALLS TO YOU

Back