Microsoft used IE11 as the basis to create the EdgeHTML rendering engine powering Spartan

By Shawn Knight
Jan 27, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Twenty years is an eternity in tech time but that's how long it's been since Microsoft first introduced Internet Explorer. With nearly a dozen major revisions under its belt, the venerable web browser carries a legacy that few have been...

Read more
  2. treeski

treeski TS Evangelist Posts: 954   +193

This plus confirmed extension support and other cool features should make for a great browser.
  3. Railman

Railman TS Booster Posts: 708   +101

Cutting out all that legacy code will mean that it is very unlikely it will be adopted by business for the foreseeable future. It will probably be 3 to 5 years before any Oracle application will work with it!
    Evernessince likes this.
  4. yorro

yorro TS Booster Posts: 250

I thought they would rebrand IE?
  5. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

It is my understanding that is not a concern, because Spartan open IE11 when needed. Unless IE11 doesn't handle legacy code, I don't see this as a problem.
  6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,335   +1,937

I read a lot about this new browser of their's but somehow I doubt it'll entice me to ditch Chrome, it's just too good, spying and all. It'll probably be a good alternative to Firefox though, most browsers usually are.
  7. Whence the multiple engine approach . . . it will retain the legacy compatibility but only initialize it if there is requirement to do so from the page.

It will be interesting to see how it works, I.e. what will pull the Trident engine to be started.
    1) If it sees a particular type of coding on the page
    2) manual
    3) maybe an option to code in the css/html to do this?
  8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

All browsers are good alternatives to each other. They are all good in their own way, which is why they all have followers. But to talk about IE spying while using Chrome is a bit hypocritical.
  9. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,335   +1,937

I was talking about Chrome spying, not IE. Although all browsers spy you have to use something, it's just a matter of choosing between the lesser of the evils so you're typically left with Hobson's Choice.
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  10. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

The article said it will retain MSHTML for legacy enterprise applications, FTA
    Sounds to me like it isn't an issue AND it won't open IE11 - perhaps you could argue that is essentially what is happening (opening IE11), but the way that reads indicates it will be in the same window, not opening something different.
  11. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,408   +463

I giggle everytime someone "prefers" Chrome over other browsers.

And yes, it says it will have two different engines for speed/compatibility purposes, so I doubt it will have problems with legacy and it won't "open" two different explorers as someones suggested.

Only time will tell. I do have to use IE on my company computer and it's not bad at all but the customization other clients have is way better (Or I'm simply used to them).