Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error

Every time I open my Download folder an error message appears:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime error!

Program: C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

This started a couple of days ago. When I click OK the folder closes.

I would greatly appreciate any help with this.

You need to supply more information. What is your OS and service patch level, have you any internet protection (firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware) and if so, what?. Do you frequently use internet filesharing, downloads etc. Have you ever been infected?.

The first thing that occurs to me is you have an infection. Go see https://www.techspot.com/vb/menu28.html

Windows XP 2002 edition service pack 3
I recently got Kaspersky Pure but this started when i had AVG.
I download files quite often via torrents and I dont know if my computer was ever infected because I recently bought it through a friend.

Still suggest you go to the link in my first post and follow the instructions carefully to discover if you have any infections. In the event something show up, you can post in that forum and receive more expert advice than I can offer.

If you PC appears clean, try entering chkdsk C:\ /r in a command box. It will say it must restart to check your HDD, let it do so. It will take a long time to thoroughly check the hard drive for faulty system.

Next after that would be a system check to replace corrupt system files, but that often requires a Windows install CD that you probably don't have.

Back