Microsoft warns that Russian agents are trying to infiltrate gaming communities

midian182

Staff member
WTF?! Have you been taking part in an online gaming community chat and noticed someone talking about Russia an unusual amount? According to Microsoft's president, they could be Russian agents who are attempting to penetrate these groups in order to spread information. The warning comes just after classified US documents were leaked on a Minecraft Discord server.

Speaking at Semafor's World Economy Summit, Microsoft president Brad Smith said his company's security analysis teams have identified efforts by Russian agents to share information within gaming communities.

"We've been advising governments about this," Smith continued. "You know, it's the Wagner Group, it is Russian intelligence, and they're in part using this [gaming communities] to get information into circulation. That's what happened here. It included the Discord channel around Minecraft, it included others of these [communities]."

The Wagner group is a private military organization run by an ally of Russian leader Vladimir Putin. It works closely with the Russian government to the point that it is "considered a de facto unit of the Ministry of Defence or Russia's military intelligence agency, the GRU."

Smith said it was important to stop these intrusions into gaming communities as they can spread propaganda and misinformation related to the Russian invasion of Ukraine, though he did admit that it wasn't the most pressing issue when it comes to the war. "It's not like playing Call of Duty is going to, like, lead to deaths in the real world; these are video games," he said.

Smith's statements came soon after news broke of a slew of US intelligence documents being shared on a Minecraft Discord server and ending up on Twitter, 4chan, and Telegram. They contained information on US support for Ukraine and the Wagner Group's operations in Africa. There was also classified information on Israel, the United Arab Emirates, and South Korea. The Assistant to the Secretary of Defense for Public Affairs, Chris Meagher, said that some of the documents "appear to have been altered."

FBI agents have since arrested 21-year-old Massachusetts Air National Guardsman Jack Douglas Teixeira at a home in North Dighton, Massachusetts, over the unauthorized removal, retention and transmission of classified national defense information. Teixeira held the highest level of security clearance granted by the federal government for top-secret information. The New York Times named Teixeira as the leader of a Discord group called "Thug Shaker Central," which consisted of around 20 to 30 young men. He allegedly started sharing classified documents with the group in the last few months. The NYT reports that another member shared some of these on a public forum.

Permalink to story.

Perhaps if the west wasn't so keen to suppress conversation around Russia, calling everything propoganda, the Russians wouldn't feel the need, if indeed it's actually true, to "infiltrate" gaming communities.

Like most things the truth is somewhere in the middle of what both sides are saying and I'm sure a lot of what the Russians claim is actually true.

Honestly, who really believes the Russians blew up their own Nordstream pipeline? Gimme a break.

Honestly, who really believes the Russians blew up their own Nordstream pipeline? Gimme a break.

They would surely put out a bigger fuss if they didn't and someone else did.

Russia has been deceitful for as long as I can remember. Lying about pretty much everything. Just look at MIG-25, it was feared until torn down for inspection. All talk no action with Russia. West isn't clean of course, we know how Middle East has gone and lobbying in the military complex, banks bailouts etc but there is a huge difference in freedom of speech and the standard of living between the West and Russia (if that doesn't tell you much, I don't know what will).

Once again it falls to the gaming community, particularly the creators, to put together their own strike teams and go after the Russians, Chinese and anyone else that tries this stunt. Failing to do so only insures their failures and a general revolt from the gaming community. One sure fire trick is to make all these games "self standing", able to run on a PC that is not connected to the web with the option to use the web.

Once again it falls to the gaming community, particularly the creators, to put together their own strike teams and go after the Russians, Chinese and anyone else that tries this stunt. Failing to do so only insures their failures and a general revolt from the gaming community. One sure fire trick is to make all these games "self standing", able to run on a PC that is not connected to the web with the option to use the web.
You know, the rest of the planet should do the same with the us propaganda and that of its closest minions. Yes, those who control almost all of the media, and/or the transmission of "information." After all, they are the greatest propaganda disseminators and manipulators in history, and all against the rest of the planet and as a way to promote/maintain their power. For example, if you never understood that Call of Duty is a type of "covert" propaganda (lol), part of the "soft-power", you are very shortsighted. however, for years now, fewer and fewer people are swallowing their BS.

Last edited:

Russia has been deceitful for as long as I can remember. Lying about pretty much everything. Just look at MIG-25, it was feared until torn down for inspection. All talk no action with Russia. West isn't clean of course, we know how Middle East has gone and lobbying in the military complex, banks bailouts etc but there is a huge difference in freedom of speech and the standard of living between the West and Russia (if that doesn't tell you much, I don't know what will).
the 25 was feared until it was known a little more. starting with his real mission. and in that mission it had be lethal. and then you have his heir, 31, which they also continued to modernize.
the simulators are not a measure of reality or classified data, but you can check out the Growling Sidewinder channel on YT and "enjoy" simulated engagements against the Mig-31, more when armed with its hypersonic A-A missiles

I can picture how this got started. "No Comrade Boss, I am not goofing off, I am infiltrating this Call of Duty game. I have been working diligently on this for some time!"

Well, maybe this is because Russia do not has Facebook, Instagram, Google, Twitter, Mcrosoft, Apple etc to spy and steal the info as US has, so they had to rely on other, rudimentary and "unorthodox "ways.

Last edited:

Who is the number 1 in deceiving and lying the rest of the world?
Spoiler, is not Russia or China as US propaganda lies about. Better look in the mirror.
And for this, some "cohones" and courage to find the truth is a must.

Who is the number 1 in deceiving and lying the rest of the world?
Spoiler, is not Russia or China as US propaganda lies about. Better look in the mirror.
And for this, some "cohones" and courage to find the truth is a must.

You think Russia isn't doing the same deceitful tactics as US? You must be bonkers. What makes it worse is that Russia does a lot of the lying to its own citizens. Sure so does the West, but you can freely call them out on it on the Internet. Do that in Russia, do a protest in Russia and you're jailed.

"Special Military Operation" LOL

The proof is in the pudding my friend. Just look at the state of Russia and neighbouring countries and then look at Western nations. Just please go, open your eyes, ears and smell the fresh air of greater freedom. NOT total freedom, don't be silly, but much greater than there.

You think Russia isn't doing the same deceitful tactics as US? You must be bonkers. What makes it worse is that Russia does a lot of the lying to its own citizens. Sure so does the West, but you can freely call them out on it on the Internet. Do that in Russia, do a protest in Russia and you're jailed.

"Special Military Operation" LOL

The proof is in the pudding my friend. Just look at the state of Russia and neighbouring countries and then look at Western nations. Just please go, open your eyes, ears and smell the fresh air of greater freedom. NOT total freedom, don't be silly, but much greater than there.
I agree with you, unfortunately of course Russia does it too. Just that US is doing better and is number 1, while Russia is doing in a more clumsy and rudimentary manner.
For example in the last 50 years the countries which invaded other countries and fought the most wars way over it's borders are US as number 1, and Russia (former USSR) as number 2.

Last edited:
I agree with you, unfortunately of course Russia does it too. Just that US is doing better and is number 1, while Russia is doing in a more clumsy and rudimentary manner.
For example in the last 50 years the countries which invaded other countries and fought the most wars way over it's borders are US as number 1, and Russia (former USSR) as number 2.
I would not call mass rape torture and murder a "more clumsy and rudimentary manner."
What makes Russia different is that the brain of people living there haven't changed much in the last 200-300 years. They still have kings and almost literal slavery. I am saying this as someone who is genuinely interested in Russia's history.

I would not call mass rape torture and murder a "more clumsy and rudimentary manner."
What makes Russia different is that the brain of people living there haven't changed much in the last 200-300 years. They still have kings and almost literal slavery. I am saying this as someone who is genuinely interested in Russia's history.
What do you mean by "literal slavery"? If you want to eat or buy stuff you have to work. Correct me if I'am wrong or you were talking about something else?

Propaganda on tech sites, yes it's possible. Obviously, the world is divided between pro Ukraine and pro Russia, as it is the purpose of it all. "Divide and rule". I still can't understand why some Europeans or Americans care so much about this conflict as the real conflict is against them through inflation and debt. Western governments spend as much money as they can while the people is everyday in a tougher situation, ensuring the promised fall of the West and the Asian domination.

Well, maybe this is because Russia do not has Facebook, Instagram, Google, Twitter, Mcrosoft, Apple etc to spy and steal the info as US has, so they had to rely on other, rudimentary and "unorthodox "ways.
??
Those are COMPANIES^ not the United States Government. Are you unable to understand the Governing bodies of each Country..?

??
Those are COMPANIES^ not the United States Government. Are you unable to understand the Governing bodies of each Country..?
It seems that you are unaware or uninformed of the US govern ties with all those US corporation which you call "companies". All of those Corporations report and comply with almost WHATEVER some specific members of US Govern ask them to.
I know that it is an inconvenient truth but this is unfortunately reality nowadays.
An interesting question, which I invite you to investigate, is why? You may find interesting answers.
I strongly advice you to check US laws regarding the mandatory compliance of these Corporations, regarding "sharing" personal data of any US citizen, or other users all over the world, which are using their products. And ghis despithe that was ruled by many courts law that it is unconstitutional and that it is a violation of human rights.

Last edited:
It seems that you are unaware or uninformed of the US govern ties with all those US corporation which you call "companies". All of those Corporations report and comply with almost WHATEVER some specific members of US Govern ask them to.
I know that it is an inconvenient truth but this is unfortunately reality nowadays.
An interesting question, which I invite you to investigate, is why? You may find interesting answers.
I strongly advice you to check US laws regarding the mandatory compliance of these Corporations, regarding "sharing" personal data of any US citizen, or other users all over the world, which are using their products. And ghis despithe that was ruled by many courts law that it is unconstitutional and that it is a violation of human rights.

Don't you mean certain Companies unconstitutionally allows themselves to be directed by Certain political arms of US agencies..? And unlawfully giving away Consumer's data..?

And in doing so, become treasonous & liable..?

We understand that is a inconvenient truth for some political actors, until they get caught...! Because "We the People"... not "We the Senators". Ours laws don't allow this and it's bad actors within a rogue part of the Government who ARE doing this. Not thee Government... just the part from a particular sect.

Don't you mean certain Companies unconstitutionally allows themselves to be directed by Certain political arms of US agencies..? And unlawfully giving away Consumer's data..?

And in doing so, become treasonous & liable..?

We understand that is a inconvenient truth for some political actors, until they get caught...! Because "We the People"... not "We the Senators". Ours laws don't allow this and it's bad actors within a rogue part of the Government who ARE doing this. Not thee Government... just the part from a particular sect.
You said it better, indeed."We the People"... not "We the Senators".
And I noticed that some of those who govern like to manipulate and confuse a lot of people making them believing that their party, govern is the same with the people or nation. And they claim that if you are against their political view or how they govern you are against the people-nation.
BTW this happens all over the world in many countries, not just in US. Unfortunately.

Back