Microsoft will offer digital Windows 8 Pro upgrades for $39.99

By Matthew
Jul 2, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft will make it affordable to ditch your current Windows installation for the latest version. If your system is running Windows XP, Vista or 7, you'll be able to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for only $39.99 and if desired,…

Read more
  2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,878   +347

Maybe if MS paid me $40.
  3. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 714   +28

Competitive pricing there, comparable to an Apple OSX upgrade. Wonder if the price will stay that low after a few months.

Edit: Found this at the bottom of the article:
    They aren't matching Apples pricing permanently at all here. Really they are trying to get people to buy it as soon as possible where some might wait for the first service pack, but by then the promotion will be over. Thought Microsoft were seeing the value of getting their Windows Store on as many PCs as possible but this is an offer, not the standard price.
  4. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,519   +311

Great and necessary move. Microsoft is feeling the heat of the competition even on the desktop side of things, so they have had to adjust. This should also prove a good way to have more of the Windows user base move to W8 faster and thus adopt Metro in one way or another.
  5. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TechSpot Addict Posts: 884   +171

40$ to upgrade..I guess I will try out Win 8 after all.
  6. ikesmasher

If they make an optimized version of metro for the desktop user, I will buy, but not unless they do.
  7. Looking at Microsoft's site for this deal in the UK (£14.99) there is a major clause:

This rules out a lot of people!
  8. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,049   +84 Staff Member

That's an entirely separate promotion for new Windows 7 PC owners, Guest.
  9. Holyscrap

Holyscrap Newcomer, in training Posts: 39   +12

Well if they leave the "hole" that allows you to do a clean install with the upgrade version, then you could say that I have already bought it :p
  10. Download and install and test out Win8 right now. I personally give it a thumbs up.
  11. Seventh Reign

Seventh Reign Newcomer, in training Posts: 76   +26

That is $40-$70 that ALOT of people are going to wish they had never spent ...

12. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,489   +302

The price isn't that bad but I really need a desktop optermised version as in it's current state I really don't like it, if they can prove it's any good on a desktop though I'll take it back
  13. Ranger12

Ranger12 TechSpot Guru Posts: 630   +116

I do not have a problem with Windows 8. However, I cannot think of a reason to upgrade from Windows 7 even if it is only $40. For me there's nothing that Windows 8 has that 7 doesn't.
  14. It's fine on a desktop. And there are improvements that you'll really like over Windows. 7. You don't have to use the metro app layout crap if you don't want to. And when you're not using the metro nonsense, it's basically Windows 7 with a few new keyboard shortcuts and the start button is gone.
    Matthew likes this.
  15. ikesmasher

yea well the start button is a pretty big deal to me.
    All they need to do is give us the ability to scale metro down....
  16. MrBungle

MrBungle TechSpot Booster Posts: 148   +64

"Upgrading from Windows 7 will be seamless, allowing you to keep your files, applications and operating system settings."

I wonder if that includes the way I have my start menu setup?
  17. What if you build your own computer, and use an OEM version of Windows 7 Home Premium, and activate it during the time period mentioned? Will this person be able to buy Windows 8 Pro upgrade, and also, could he buy the upgrade that would allow him to periodically do clean reinstalls? (At the reduced price, of course!)
  18. Smart move, however Windows 8 is not worth a dollar to me. At least not for a desktop, I would consider a Window 8 tablet I suppose. Otherwise Windows 7 is much better than Windows 8 for a desktop user.
  19. p51d007

p51d007 TechSpot Booster Posts: 303   +40

Sorry, I will most likely keep 7. Just got a new XPS laptop about 2 weeks ago, so I guess I will get a discount for the upgrade, but I don't see any "need" for the upgrade.
    Might throw it on a virtual drive and play with it, but the daily driver will still be 7.
  20. And this discount is ahead of release because - MS need more sheep to purchase the Win8 OS as it will gain them significant turnover not from the sales of the OS but from the mass of ppl who will be purchasing "apps" through metro that MS take a cut from or sell them self.

People are so blind to the underlying reason'(s) that MS are discounting and promoting Win 8 and Metro, I guess ppl who are used to mobile devices will lap this up as they love buying frivolous "apps".
  21. m4a4

m4a4 TechSpot Addict Posts: 516   +137

What isn't desktop optimized about it?
  22. Coodu

Coodu TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 179

Well said, I know it certainly puts me at a benefit and certainly will save me some cash over the W7 upgrades I paid for myself/wife's machine.

Good move by MS imo.
  23. ikesmasher

Im a heavy multitasker and Metro simply covers the entire desktop, which is the majority of my multitasking space.

it just screws up the flow of multitasking, and yes I have used it so im not just basing that off of pictures of it.
  24. Xero07

Xero07 Newcomer, in training Posts: 93

Probably will get for my laptop and keep my desktop on 7. The pricing is impressive to say the least compared to previous versions.
  25. captainawesome

captainawesome TechSpot Guru Posts: 411   +42

The next version of UEFI (BIOS) should allow booting from the net. Then no storage media is needed at all to install your OS. You can just connect to Windows Update and a few hours (let's not kid ourselves with the Microsoft 'minutes') you have a fully functional PC with all the updates and drivers already installed. You should even be able to select Office 201* and other stuff from the MS app store. Like Chrome and Firefox and Adobe CS*
    That way you can start it when you go sleep and wake up with everything installed :)
  26. Coodu

Coodu TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 179

I find that I use the start menu the most when I have an app taking up majority of my screen as I tend to avoid minimizing and just open over the top. So metro will be a large change for me usage wise.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.