Microsoft Windows 8 official release set for October 26

Leeky

Microsoft has ended all speculation surrounding the launch date of its next-generation operating system after Steven Sinofsky announced during the company’s annual sales meeting yesterday that customers will be able to get a copy on Friday October 26, on a new computer or as an upgrade.

The announcement by Sinofsky, president of Microsoft’s Windows division, follows an earlier promise at its Worldwide Partner Conference in Toronto earlier this month that Windows 8 would arrive sometime in October.  The date was later confirmed in a post by Brandon LeBlanc on the firm’s official Windows Blog

There was no word on the exact date we can expect Microsoft’s Surface tablets however, but given that consumers will be able to get the software individually or on a new PC the same day, it’s entirely possible the tablet will be available immediately on the launch date. More details will no doubt follow as the date nears.

microsoft announces windows release date

Earlier this month the OS-maker said those using the release preview version of Windows 8 will be able to upgrade to the final release for $39.99 using the Windows.com upgrade tool. Those that purchase a new computer between June 2 2012 and January 31 2013 will also be eligible to upgrade to Windows 8 Professional for just $14.99.

While consumers have been treated to two previews of Windows 8 to date, it is likely Microsoft will leave some of the new features for the upcoming launch, and right now it’s hard to say whether further tweaks will be made to the highly controversial Metro UI before it reaches RTM.

Those yet to experience Windows 8 can do so by checking out the Release Preview version, and further details on setting it up using USB drives, and dual-booting options. For those wishing to advance their skills further with the new OS, our guide packed full of tricks, tips and shortcuts is worth checking out.

Permalink to story.

Seeing as I haven't paid for a windows license in the past 8 years (all because of giveaways and other legal circumstances) I'll probably go for the upgrade. I've used windows 8 release preview quite a bit recently and I really kind of like it. There's no groundbreaking or original but it has been extremely stable.

Waiting for the next windows, this one seems like a vista skip. Microsoft is good at getting every other OS right. I at least now know what day to fear, the day the world went eight. Also gonna feel bad for anyone who has to support this crap, can only imagine the number of phone calls from people asking where the start menu is. Don't think so? Try working at a local computer store (not a big box retailer) and dealing with people who are confused with windows 7 as it is... Windows 8 is going to be an all new hell.

If they are confused with Windows 7 then they'll be no worse off with Windows 8.

If they are confused with Windows 7 they shouldn't go out without a nurse.

To the above two posters, have you ever tried to support a 90 year old man over the phone who's trying to print a document just to learn he doesn't have a printer? Or and 84 year old women trying to email her grandchildren but doesn't have an internet connection? The support I've had to give over the phone would make some people fall over, and its not just the elderly.

I think most people's gripe isn't with Metro....it's the loss of the taskbar!! Why did you have to make it hidden...what is that helping with?? Nothing! Bring back the taskbar!!!

Windows 8 makes me feel so old. I loaded it onto an oracle virtual machine so I could try it within Win7 (thanks TS for those directions) and something must be wrong with it because so much seems to be missing (My entire Settings screen is empty, for example). I was able to get a broswer window opened from the tiles, but I couldn't figure out how to close it again.... I literally can't figure out anything except hit the start key, get your tiles and start from there.

Maybe I'll dig out an old drive and load it right, cause right now it feels like a UI with nothing behind it.

Metro - so you can feel trendy playing Minesweeper.

Back in my day, we had Apps too. They were called programs.

Windows 9 - We've removed the mouse pointer, monitor, and keyboard support so you can be more productive!

Windows 10 - Even easier to use. Just tape the installation CD to your forehead and be more productive! (requires Microsoft Tape license. Sold separately.)

Windows 8 makes me feel so old. I loaded it onto an oracle virtual machine so I could try it within Win7 (thanks TS for those directions) and something must be wrong with it because so much seems to be missing (My entire Settings screen is empty, for example). I was able to get a broswer window opened from the tiles, but I couldn't figure out how to close it again.... I literally can't figure out anything except hit the start key, get your tiles and start from there.

Maybe I'll dig out an old drive and load it right, cause right now it feels like a UI with nothing behind it.

Welcome to windows 8 is all I can think of.

dark - Too much jokes, lol. I take it your also avoiding this discouraging OS.

I'm not upset with Microsoft, just Disappointed. Which some how hurts that much more.

Yes,I have read the article on the link you provided. But it says that people will only be able to buy Windows 8 on new PCs and as an upgrade install from either a new Windows 7 PC or Windows 8 Release Preview.

And that is no good to me and most other people. Because I want to do a clean install of Windows 8 NOT an upgrade install.

Many experienced Windows forums advise users who are planning to upgrade their version of Windows to a newer version of Windows.In this case Windows 8 from Windows Vista,Windows 7 or Windows 8 Beta versions or RC versions.Are advised to do a full clean install or custom install. Not an upgrade install as it causes a lot of problems.

Also I and other users need a full installation CD of Windows 8. Because the RC version of Windows 8 expires in January 2013.

So say in the future for any reason you need to re install Windows. You will need to have a full installation CD of Windows 8 with the full install product key. Not an upgrade install CD.And we won't be able to upgrade from Windows 8 RC after January as RC will be deactivated. So we need to do a full clean install.

Recently I had to re-install Windows 7 from scratch and I did a clean install from the full installation Windows 7 CD, not an upgrade CD, and then activated Windows 7 with the product key. But an upgrade install is NOT the same thing.

I want to do a clean install of the final retail version of Windows 8 not an upgrade install. But will that be an option in October? Or will they only be selling upgrade CDs? Which will be no good to us. Andrea Borman.

Andrea I'd be very surprised if Windows 8 was not sold retail or OEM even, I see no reason for it not to be.

Andrea I'd be very surprised if Windows 8 was not sold retail or OEM even, I see no reason for it not to be.

What does that mean? Does it mean that we will be able to by a Windows 8 full installation DVD or not? It did not sound like that in the article link I just read provided by the OP of this thread.

For example I recently bought a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium. And I bought the full installation DVD that comes with both a 32 bit CDs and a 64 Bit CD. And the product key which you must use to activate Windows. As I have a netbook I used the 32 bit CD and did a clean install and formatted my C Drive to get rid of the Windows Old folders.

There are also Windows 7 upgrade DVDs of each version of Windows 7 both 32 and 64 bit. But it is UPGRADE ONLY,not clean install,and that would not have worked for me. Andrea Borman.

an OEM version is a full install, Andrea. My understand of an OEM is you'll get the full CD. That's it. No box, no manual, no whatever else you get with Windows (stickers?). You'll get a CD with a product key. It is not an upgrade version. if you look on newegg for windows products you'll see their upgrades are clearly marked 'Upgrade' as the version, while OEM's will say Ultimate, or Home, or whatever. They're meant for new PCs that will be sold from a computer vendor or for builders who don't care about the extras.

This just in... MS just posted it's first ever quarterly loss. I guess we can't call them Micro$oft anymore. Hope this Win 8 thing works out.

Windows has gone downhill after XP , their OS just gets worse and worse

Wont waste my money on this cr@p

Metro - so you can feel trendy playing Minesweeper.

Back in my day, we had Apps too. They were called programs.

Windows 9 - We've removed the mouse pointer, monitor, and keyboard support so you can be more productive!

Windows 10 - Even easier to use. Just tape the installation CD to your forehead and be more productive! (requires Microsoft Tape license. Sold separately.)

That made me LMAO and so true I'm skipping 8

Windows has gone downhill after XP , their OS just gets worse and worse

Wont waste my money on this cr@p

Windows XP had garbage security and users were running with admin rights

Wtf are talking about?

I was happy to see it go. Went to vista as soon as it was released and enjoyed it.

-Also note that OEM support (other than standard Microsoft updates, etc.) is basically limited to the one who installed it. ie. if you bought a Dell computer and it is usually Dell who provides any detailed support for you. Or something like that. Most cases it's pretty straightforward anyway and nothing to worry about.

On the matter of personally using Windows 8. I will probably be waiting a year or so for the general public to get used to it and iron out any wrinkles in the system. After all, if I am paying for something critical like an OS I better be darn sure that it will work relatively smoothly.

an OEM version is a full install, Andrea. My understand of an OEM is you'll get the full CD. That's it. No box, no manual, no whatever else you get with Windows (stickers?). You'll get a CD with a product key. It is not an upgrade version. if you look on newegg for windows products you'll see their upgrades are clearly marked 'Upgrade' as the version, while OEM's will say Ultimate, or Home, or whatever. They're meant for new PCs that will be sold from a computer vendor or for builders who don't care about the extras.

Well someone told me on another forum that RTM stands for the retail version that goes out on sale to the public in the shops. Like the Windows 7 full installation DVD that I bought.
But OEM? I don't know what that stands for.
I thought that was the version of Windows that comes pre-installed on a laptop. Like Windows 7 Starter comes pre-installed on netbooks. But you cannot buy Windows 7 Starter installation DVDs only Home Premium, Professorial and Ultimate.

But no,I don't want to buy a laptop with Windows 8 pre-installed,no. I want to buy a Windows 8 full installation DVD and install it on one of my Windows 7 netbooks. And I want to do a clean install.

And now when I buy a Windows 7 netbook. The first thing I do is a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium or higher edition from the full install DVD. To get rid of the makers HP or Dell bloatware(unwanted software) and wipe off Windows 7 Starter.

I am now running Windows 8 on 2 netbooks that came with Windows 7. Windows 8 RP on one, and Windows 8 CP on the other. And I plan to do a clean install of the final version of Windows 8 on at least one of those netbooks. Not an upgrade install. And I won't buy a laptop with Windows 8 pre-installed. I am happy with the netbooks I have got.

And the added advantage of installing Windows 8 on one of my existing Windows 7 netbooks as the only OS is,that I can always re-install Windows 7 if I want to. Because I know it will run it. Windows 7 or Windows 8.Andrea Borman.

But OEM? I don't know what that stands for.
It stands for Original Equiment Manufacturer. It means it's a product produced by the same company who made the original. It makes more sense with cars.... if you need a new bumper for your Toyota you (or the bodyshop) could buy one made by any number of vendors, or you could buy an OEM part directly from Toyota (usually for more $$).

For Windows, OEM means it's a brand new, full install disk, ready for use with a blank formatted HD. You don't need to buy a laptop to get it, but if you do buy a laptop, it's what they'll give you. if you were Dell and needed to install Windows on your machines before you shipped them, you'd buy OEM discs. They leave out the flashy packaging and manual.
I don't know how else to explain this, but it does exactly what you've described you need.

Remember though, OEM licenses are non-transferable once installed on a computer, legally speaking anyways.

Back