Microsoft would like to see Steam and Epic Games Store on the Windows 11 Microsoft Store

jsilva

In brief: The new Microsoft Store coming with Windows 11 brings some well-deserved changes to the platform, such as a redesigned UI, new apps, a new business system, and even Android apps via Amazon Appstore. Despite all that's coming, Microsoft still wants more, including integrations with other third-party stores like Steam and Epic Games Store.

Yesterday, Microsoft unveiled Windows 11, the company's new client OS that promises to improve performance and user productivity. Alongside Windows 11, Redmond also showed the redesigned Microsoft Store and all the changes coming with it.

One of the said changes is the ability to download Android apps via Amazon Appstore, which will allow developers to keep all the revenue made by their apps when customers use third-party payment methods. If the customer doesn't, the revenue split will be 85/15 for apps. On the other hand, games supposedly have a split of 88/12 regardless of the payment method, which still is a sizable reduction from the old split of 70/30.

But as expected, Microsoft wants more than just the Amazon Appstore in its platform. In an interview with The Verge, Microsoft's chief product officer Panos Panay showed interest in partnering with other third-party stores such as Steam and Epic Games Store.

"Windows already in many ways hosts those stores, and if we can host it through the Microsoft Store then of course," said Panay. "For sure, it means as others want to come to the Store, they're very welcome. As a matter of fact, encouraged, and that's kind of why we're building out some of these policies," he added.

Panay's ultimate goal for the Microsoft Store is uniting all stores in a single platform, where "you type the app in and you get the app you want." By putting all stores under the same banner, users benefit from saving time when searching for something and maybe even eliminating the need of having multiple game and app stores installed on your system.

Bringing more third-party stores to the Microsoft Store seems to be a big win for users, but it's worth remembering that the 100 percent sales revenue when using third-party payment methods won't apply to games, which may sound unfair for some developers.

Permalink to story.

Doesn't GOG already do this?

With their Galaxy client, I believe they have some of that functionality for games you already own on other platforms yes, but not sure about buying from other platforms directly from it.

Not surprising, Microsoft wants to really become the next Apple when it comes to running a store front. I obviously mistrust them and believe that this deals of "Bring your own platform and keep 100% of your revenue!" will eventually turn out to have a lot of gotchas or other ways for them to monetize.

In fact they obviously haven't talked telemetry but I wouldn't be surprised if part of it was "You put Steam on the Windows store and Valve keeps 100% of their profits!...But we keep metadata about every transaction, No worries we will totally never abuse it and we promise is 100% anonymous and secure!"

If it means that I don't have to load their individual online store apps on my system to buy and launch games, then I'm all for it.

Windows Store native applications and games all break 20 years of established installer location and visibility.

They install under a hidden folder, and the OS makes it a pain in the *** to even access those files (after you've made them visible) through Windows Explorer / standard windows shortcuts on your desktop. This also makes installing mods a bit of a pain

Broken design is broken, so don't start encouraging them by downloading things like Steam.

Windows Store native applications and games all break 20 years of established installer location and visibility. They install under a hidden folder, and the OS makes it a pain in the *** to even access those files (after you've made them visible) through Windows Explorer / standard windows shortcuts on your desktop. This also makes installing mods a bit of a pain. Broken design is broken, so don't start encouraging them by downloading things like Steam.
This is why I don't trust MS an inch with this stuff. Hiding the files of the game folder + sandboxing actively breaks things in a way nothing did previously going all the way back to MS-DOS, and modding will be the first casualty if the UWP format ever became mainstream for game distribution. Had Oblivion & Skyrim been UWP'd = kiss goodbye to OBSE / SKSE Script Extenders & mod managers. Had old 16-bit games been UWP'd then kiss goodbye to DOSBox / ScummVM, etc. Had Doom 1-2 been UWP'd then kiss goodbye to GZDoom, etc, source ports. It's disappointing that "tech" articles only ever cut & paste MS's own PR statements and not point out the obvious drawbacks of what Microsoft are really pushing to lock down long-term by constantly referring to Win32/64 that makes up 98% of Windows apps / games as "legacy".

As for GOG someone mentioned, yes Galaxy acts as a "meta-launcher" (a bit like Playnite), that allows you to list all games in one place and launch them (DRM'd games still need their own client installed). Of course the real killer feature of GOG is DRM-Free = you don't need any launcher / client whatsoever to play a game and as far as the same underlying "meta-client" intention is concerned, GOG and Microsoft are poles apart for control-freakism alone.

Last edited:
The last time MS tried this Valve creates SteamOS and got the ball rolling for fixing various issues on linux that eventually led to the success of modern MESA drivers for intel and AMD, as well as proton. Read between the lines, they "want everyone to be unified under one umbrella" as in people MUST use the MS store to download things. That's where this is heading. They dont even throw in the token "oh we'll never stop you from downloading the client yourself we just want choice" or anything like that.

Microshaft: nobody wants to buy your junk products. Nobody is interested in using a locked down storefront on windows. Nobody wants to buy software from you. Get it through your heads. Every time you try something like this its a major shot in the arm for linux projects and alternative software the world over.

Yes, I'm sure you'd like to see epic and steam on your store, and I'm sure that valve at the very least will tell you where to stuff it. Epic likely will too, they want their OWN control over their software, see the epic VS apple lawsuit right now.

The best part is this: if there is a major push towards locking down windows (again, we still remember the disaster that was 8 and it's UWP apps) then not only will linux get another shot in the arm, but much of the world will listen, since microshaft had decided to require TPM 2.0 for windows 11 and require 8th gen intel/ryzen 2000 or above. There's a LOT of skylake and kabylake users out there, and tons of haswell, some ivy and sandy bridge, and even still a ton of core 2 hardware in use, especially outside the USA where new hardware can be prohibitively expensive. None of these people will be able to use 11 at all, they will either have to shell out big $$$ they dont have for new hardware or use alternatives like linux or staying on windows 10.

I personally hope this push for locked down ecosystems and force obsolescence bites M$ right in the arse. It was bad enough when apple fleeced their isheep and locked down macos, but the rest of us are not paying the ignorance tax to use apple hardware, stop treating us like were total *****s.

The last time MS tried this Valve creates SteamOS and got the ball rolling for fixing various issues on linux that eventually led to the success of modern MESA drivers for intel and AMD, as well as proton. Read between the lines, they "want everyone to be unified under one umbrella" as in people MUST use the MS store to download things. That's where this is heading. They dont even throw in the token "oh we'll never stop you from downloading the client yourself we just want choice" or anything like that.

Microshaft: nobody wants to buy your junk products. Nobody is interested in using a locked down storefront on windows. Nobody wants to buy software from you. Get it through your heads. Every time you try something like this its a major shot in the arm for linux projects and alternative software the world over.

Yes, I'm sure you'd like to see epic and steam on your store, and I'm sure that valve at the very least will tell you where to stuff it. Epic likely will too, they want their OWN control over their software, see the epic VS apple lawsuit right now.

The best part is this: if there is a major push towards locking down windows (again, we still remember the disaster that was 8 and it's UWP apps) then not only will linux get another shot in the arm, but much of the world will listen, since microshaft had decided to require TPM 2.0 for windows 11 and require 8th gen intel/ryzen 2000 or above. There's a LOT of skylake and kabylake users out there, and tons of haswell, some ivy and sandy bridge, and even still a ton of core 2 hardware in use, especially outside the USA where new hardware can be prohibitively expensive. None of these people will be able to use 11 at all, they will either have to shell out big $$$ they dont have for new hardware or use alternatives like linux or staying on windows 10.

I personally hope this push for locked down ecosystems and force obsolescence bites M$ right in the arse. It was bad enough when apple fleeced their isheep and locked down macos, but the rest of us are not paying the ignorance tax to use apple hardware, stop treating us like were total *****s.
But they cannot wait for Joe User to have money enough to update his ancient hardware. If technology were to move according to the capacities of Joe User, we would still be on Windows 95. This is not the way things work on this little planet.

If Joe User cannot update his hardware (mobo and cpu, mainly) after 6 years using Windows 10, Microsoft cannot be blamed for that. Should MS wait for other 6 years so Joe User will finally update his hardware? No. So, let's permit dear Joe to stay in Windows 10, at least until 2025. There is no loss.

Last edited:
a locked down storefront on windows
Even if it cut down viruses on the platform by a good majority? I'd have to say that that would be a good thing. Someone has to clean up the platform and make it safer for those that can't help themselves.

Last edited:
Even if it cut down viruses on the platform by a good majority? I'd have to say that that would be a good thing. Someone has to clean up the platform and make it safer for those that can't help themselves.
If you have any experience with end users, you know that the majority of "infections" today dont come from installing software from downloaded sources, but from people clicking on anything that moves in a web browser. Bright flashing advertisements, scareware sites, and infected attachments in emails are not stopped by having a central store.

And no, I am not willing to give up my freedom to use my computer as I see fit because idi0ts exist. The world will always produce a better idi0t. And considering that the notification system of windows 10 is trivial to inject adware and scareware into, I have 0 faith that anything the store would do would fix any infection issues with windows.
But they cannot wait for Joe User to have money enough to update his ancient hardware. If technology were to move according to the capacities of Joe User, we would still be on Windows 95. This is not the way things work on this little planet.

If Joe User cannot update his hardware (mobo and cpu, mainly) after 6 years using Windows 10, Microsoft cannot be blamed for that. Should MS wait for other 6 years so Joe User will finally update his hardware? No. So, let's permit dear Joe to stay in Windows 10, at least until 2025. There is no loss.
That's a horrific justification. 6 years doesnt make something obsolete today, the floor of "good enough" was set in the core 2 era. 10 year old hardware functions perfectly well for everyone except gamers and other edge cases where more power is needed. There is no reason to make these machines into e-waste other then corporate greed. If a computer can run windows 10, there is no reason it cannot run windows 11, M$ isnt reinventing the wheel here.

What in windows 11 cannot run on a 6700k, pray tell, but CAN run on a 11th gen intel celeron? I'd love to hear the justification.

PC users are not the ones paying apple's ignorance tax, there is no reason we should be treated like sheep that throw out their electronics for new shiny ones because of arbitrary forced obsolescence. There is no excuse for forced obsolescence of hardware.

Last edited:
I would rather have many different launchers than one monopoly. Having to install them is a minor inconvenience and it still beats console exclusivity.

If you have any experience with end users, you know that the majority of "infections" today dont come from installing software from downloaded sources, but from people clicking on anything that moves in a web browser. Bright flashing advertisements, scareware sites, and infected attachments in emails are not stopped by having a central store.

And no, I am not willing to give up my freedom to use my computer as I see fit because idi0ts exist. The world will always produce a better idi0t. And considering that the notification system of windows 10 is trivial to inject adware and scareware into, I have 0 faith that anything the store would do would fix any infection issues with windows.

That's a horrific justification. 6 years doesnt make something obsolete today, the floor of "good enough" was set in the core 2 era. 10 year old hardware functions perfectly well for everyone except gamers and other edge cases where more power is needed. There is no reason to make these machines into e-waste other then corporate greed. If a computer can run windows 10, there is no reason it cannot run windows 11, M$ isnt reinventing the wheel here.

What in windows 11 cannot run on a 6700k, pray tell, but CAN run on a 11th gen intel celeron? I'd love to hear the justification.

PC users are not the ones paying apple's ignorance tax, there is no reason we should be treated like sheep that throw out their electronics for new shiny ones because of arbitrary forced obsolescence. There is no excuse for forced obsolescence of hardware.

Your not being forced to throw it out. At least until 2025. You can stay on Windows 10 with no issues then you can make your core2duo into a Linux machine.

Oh, I'll just bet M$ would like to get a piece of Steam & Epic's action.

With that said, why buy something from the horse's a**, when you can get it, "straight from the horse's mouth", so to speak?

Windows Store native applications and games all break 20 years of established installer location and visibility.

They install under a hidden folder, and the OS makes it a pain in the *** to even access those files (after you've made them visible) through Windows Explorer / standard windows shortcuts on your desktop. This also makes installing mods a bit of a pain

Broken design is broken, so don't start encouraging them by downloading things like Steam.
20 years. MASSIVE exaggeration. A HUGE problem for Windows before UAC was installers putting crap literally everywhere. UAC at least funneled programs to put user data in the user data folders and programs in program files and not expect to edit files in those folders as normal running procedure. It's literally why Chrome and most apps nowadays have separate admin updater processes. You do realise that right?

The truth of the matter is Microsoft should have built their store back at WinXP or Vista and fixed application installation in one hit. There's still a mountain of dud installers around that basically need to be run with admin privs to work properly. It's precisely because the eco didn't enforce the proper practices you are talking about.

No thanks. Microsoft make absolutely garbage software and their store is no exception. I’ve just had to reinstall all the MS game services apps on my PC using power shell as the latest update caused some random issue which stopped games launching on the Xbox app. By contrast I have never had to do anything remotely as technical or jank for my iOS devices. MS are still living in 1995 where they think it’s just fine to expect users to be able to delve into the registry and do some technical maintenance themselves.

No thanks. Microsoft make absolutely garbage software and their store is no exception. I’ve just had to reinstall all the MS game services apps on my PC using power shell as the latest update caused some random issue which stopped games launching on the Xbox app. By contrast I have never had to do anything remotely as technical or jank for my iOS devices. MS are still living in 1995 where they think it’s just fine to expect users to be able to delve into the registry and do some technical maintenance themselves.
Sadly their quality control is junk nowadays. They aren't anywhere near as risk averse and with agile push regular crap out and say "whoopsie that broke something" instead of doing any real QA.

Back