Microsoft yields: boot to desktop, Start menu options in Windows 8.1?

Jos

Microsoft may be ready to address two of the most common complaints about Windows 8 with its upcoming “Blue” update. Specifically, The Verge cites sources familiar with the company’s plans who claim builds of Windows 8.1 are being tested with an option to skip the “Metro” start screen and boot directly to the traditional desktop. A separate report from ZDNet seconds this and also suggests that the Start menu might make a comeback.

Signs of a boot-to-desktop option were spotted a few days ago in a leaked build of Windows Blue. Apparently the option is disabled by default and there’s currently no toggle to enable it in the operating system’s settings panel. But the code is there. It’s possible Microsoft still hasn't decided on whether to implement this in the final Blue release, though ZDNet’s Mary Jo Foley says her sources have confirmed “this is now looking like the plan.”

Whether Microsoft will bring back the Start button is even more uncertain. The Verge says the “hot corners” that bring up the modern-style Start menu and the Charms bar will remain intact if the boot to desktop option is enabled, but Foley says Microsoft is also considering bringing back the Start button as an option.

It’s worth noting that you can accomplish both behaviors -- boot to desktop and bringing back the start menu -- through some fairly simple workarounds or using third party software. But having the options baked into the Windows 8 UI through the system settings screen would make things much simpler for all users.

microsoft start windows metro windows 8 start menu blue windows blue windows 8.1

Microsoft has so far been reluctant of letting users skip the modern-style interface so easily, and defended its stance by saying users find the new interface easy to learn once they give it a chance.

While it's understandable that the company is trying to push a consistent user experience that spans across multiple Windows devices, those against ‘Metro’ claim the interface doesn’t really make sense for non-touch-screen machines. If the new options indeed make it to Windows 8.1 it will give everyone the option to make a gradual shift or just maintain the classic Windows feel... at least for a while longer.

Permalink to story.

This is true. The decision was made mostly because of businesses refusing to upgrade. Not because of consumers.

It will be off by default, but the option will be there. As far as the Start Menu, I haven't heard anything about that. Of course you don't have to believe me, but I say this because I have an in-law who works for MS and I often ask him what they're cooking up. Unfortunately MS is so divided even some higher-ups have no idea what's going on.

Too bad Microsoft flip-flopped on their new OS.

They should get back to graphically orientated object and a deasktop work area, much better than mobile tiles...

What a bunch of retards. Forcing anything on anyone is never the right answer. This should have been in the settings from the beginning, especially with such a weak UI. Why push something that doesn't have equal capabilities to the traditional desktop UI? There is nothing to debate.

Well if these rumors turn out to be true, I will finally upgrade to Windows 8 on all platforms (my Laptop and Desktop). I haven't bothered since I hate the new start menu Metro thing and I hate the fact it has to be the first thing you see. Make these changes, they've got money from me...

And I still won't use it because my dislike for Windows 8 has very little to do with the metro look (although I dislike it on my desktop system) and more to do with how they treat open source software that is created using non-Microsoft APIs. I also have reservations on how they require hardware manufacturers who intend to include Windows 8 with their computer systems to have secure boot enabled in the BIOS, which would make it so you couldn't install another operating system like Linux if you wanted. There is the option of going into the BIOS and disabling it, but most people will not know how to do that, and some BIOSes would potentially not have the option to disable it at all.

When support stops for Windows 7, if they haven't come out with something better, I will switch to Linux, which is a very nice OS now a days, equal or better than Windows. I especially like Xubuntu personally.

Personally, I think this is the right answer to the wrong question, and to me, that question is why is 8 selling so poorly.

IMHO, 8 is selling so poorly because it will take the business world to buy into 8 in order for it to be another best seller like 7; however, I do not think the business world will budget for upgrading to 8 when the business world just got through upgrading to 7. There is no value in fixing something that already works well.

It seems like M$ thinks the run the world and can drive updates as if all computer users are M$ lemmings. I think the reality is that it will take much more than the return of the start menu for 8 to sell well.

MS will eventually learn to listen to the consumers when their product(s) are no longer popular but other OS's are. That is my thoughts. I'm just grateful to have a used pc, but its better than not having one imo.
Wake up MS.

Personally, I think this is the right answer to the wrong question, and to me, that question is why is 8 selling so poorly.

IMHO, 8 is selling so poorly because it will take the business world to buy into 8 in order for it to be another best seller like 7; however, I do not think the business world will budget for upgrading to 8 when the business world just got through upgrading to 7. There is no value in fixing something that already works well.

It seems like M$ thinks the run the world and can drive updates as if all computer users are M$ lemmings. I think the reality is that it will take much more than the return of the start menu for 8 to sell well.

You don't think MS knows this? We've been calling Win 8 a victim of Win 7's success for months. They are a business too, they know how software upgrades work. if they wanted to drive upgrades they'd stop supporting Win 7. They aren't doing that though, which is a pretty clear signal that they are not driving upgrades.

We've spent the last 10 years making fun of MS for not innovating and now we're complaining that they did it too much. They tried to make an OS that was great for mobile and the desktop and they landed a little too far into 'mobile' territory. Now they're pulling back. Win 8 is perfect for the Surface Pro, but since a desktop is so different it should make sense to have some options built in to accommodate.

Those of you who hate on MS can point and laugh that they made a mistake, but the rest of us are happy to see them listening to their customers.

And don't forget... a good % of Windows sales come from new PC sales and those are down for reasons that don't have much to do with a missing start button.

And I still won't use it because my dislike for Windows 8 has very little to do with the metro look (although I dislike it on my desktop system) and more to do with how they treat open source software that is created using non-Microsoft APIs. I also have reservations on how they require hardware manufacturers who intend to include Windows 8 with their computer systems to have secure boot enabled in the BIOS, which would make it so you couldn't install another operating system like Linux if you wanted. There is the option of going into the BIOS and disabling it, but most people will not know how to do that, and some BIOSes would potentially not have the option to disable it at all.

When support stops for Windows 7, if they haven't come out with something better, I will switch to Linux, which is a very nice OS now a days, equal or better than Windows. I especially like Xubuntu personally.
Few things:
#1. MS is treating open source software (created using non-Microsoft APIs) badly. No, they aren't. At least not for desktop purposes. For their appstore? Still no. They have set up security like EVERY OTHER appstore.
#2. "[MS] requires hardware manufacturers who intend to include Windows 8 with their computer systems to have secure boot enabled in the BIOS" Again, no. There was an article that covered this. It explained that MS supports it, but it is not MS who is pushing it.
And if you are trying to install Linux anyways, it's common knowledge that you usually have to jump through hoops for the best compatibility. People that can google how to install linux can figure out how to get things working.
#3. Linux being equal or better. It's comparing apples to oranges here. Support for linux is almost nonexistent while it can be modded/customized however you like. Windows is pretty much 100% supported, while the customization options are less than linux.

Anyways, I never saw the big deal about metro and the start menu. My opinion is that people are just too lazy to learn something new and it's (IMHO) pretty much on par with with the start menu. Or they just don't like change.

Love Windows 8 its a smooth operator - but really miss the Start button, please bring it back as an option its no big deal for MS

I really think MS screwed up. They should have done this in the beginning and made 2 versions. One for the desktop and one for the tablet. A lot of people would have been hyped for Windows 8 if it had a start menu and would have bought Win 8 on release. this would have gotten MS huge sales. But now people dont trust Win 8 necessarily and wont be hyped as much. Heck, people who are informed about the start menu will be excited, but people are already scarred.

Windows 8 is a disaster in a business environment. They see no good reason to upgrade from Windows 7. Some are also switching to Linux.

Bringing back the Start button and boot to desktop options sound great... But I'm wondering if they have fixed the absolutely horrid multi-monitor support yet? It's amazing how the desktop/start button topics generate so much noise that they drown out some of the basic fundamentals that make Win8 a "no go" for many power users.

What a bunch of retards. Forcing anything on anyone is never the right answer. This should have been in the settings from the beginning, especially with such a weak UI. Why push something that doesn't have equal capabilities to the traditional desktop UI? There is nothing to debate.

I agree.

To me it's like Microsoft turned their backs on the die hard PC users. I mean think about it, rather than cater to the audience that has made them so successful in the past, they were like: "we need touch everything, touch screen this, touch screen that". I understand that a new UI was okay especially with the rise in mobile computing, but at what cost? They started turning away the people who actually liked MS and that's why sales for 8 have been so weak.

Since I have been running windows 8, I almost never use metro 99% of the time is spent in desktop mode...that other 1% is boot up, and when an app brings me back to metro. Then I promptly switch back to desktop...

Wait a minute, there is already a way to boot to the desktop. All you have to do is switch to a "local account".
Settings > Change PC Settings > Users > Switch to a Local Account.

I was using window 8 for 3-4 months before going back to w7. I used 3rd party software to get the start menu back for functionality. The metro interface is a joke... for a non touch screen laptop or monitor it shouldn't even be implemented. Windows 8 boot time was fast, the only reason I switched back is because I found certain websites load slowly and this impacted my productivity. Out of all the browsers I used with windows 8 Google Chrome was the slowest.

Ugh, it's not just about the Start Menu ffs. It's about the whole Metro think. Metro brings with it stupid default touch apps and terrible multitasking and multi-monitor support. All we need is this:

Control Panel > Add/Remove Windows Features > Metro.

That's it.

On another note, Win8 non-metro has zero enhancements for touch screens compared to Win7. Heck, even the latest Office 2013 fails hard. It has a 'touch menu mode' which makes the UI bigger for fingers..but... where's the gestures?? Can't even flick through the ribbon. Considering 'gestures' are MS's new hot word, I'm greatly surprised at this missing feature.

Looks like my incessant nagging and whining on forums across the internet are beginning to produce tangible fruits. Ah, the fruits of my labor. So juicy sweet. :)

I may yet upgrade to Windows 8 after all. Or, I could go for broke and ignore this turd until they release Windows 9 with even more accomodations for the business and desktop users. That would really drive my point home. "Don't ever bite the hand that feeds you again!!!!".

Decisions, decisions. Hmmm, Well, seeing as how I am 100% content on Windows 7 Ultimate for the past several months since the release of Windows 8, I just think I will wait for some. And see how this all plays out.

Back