Microsoft Zune 30GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

skitzo_zac

Well I was in the market for a new mp3 player as I broke my old Creative Zen MicroPhoto :( and ended up buying a Zune on ebay (they are not actually available for sale in stores in Australia).

First off I was expecting a much larger box for it to arive in. I was kind of suprised that it was as small as it was (not that its really small though) The layout of the box is kinda neat though.

Headphones that came with it are pretty good for default earbuds, they also are magnetic and have small little clips on the back so you can clip together back to back. Nifty and rather handy I have found.

Video quality is very nice for an mp3 player I think. Although I dont use it for video just music, I have watched the little videos that came on it I thought they were very nice quality.

It has WiFi novelty maybe but not a feature I really care about and think I will ever use.

Interface looks nice and performs well, although I do prefer the interface of my old Zen MicroPhoto.

I am dissapointed that you cant use the device as a portable hard drive, I have read that you can do a couple of changes to your windows registry and it will show up as a portable hard drive. But I dont really care about this I have 2 flash drives that are sufficient for my portable storage needs.

Its not perfect and has no extraordinary features, but If you are in the market for a mp3 player and don't like iPods as I do consider a Zune.

If anyone has any questions about the Zune I will be happy to help you as best I can.

Did it come with the new firmware ? When the second generation of Zune players came out, it was officially possible to upgrade old Zune players to the second generation firmware.

It came with old firmware on it, But I do have the updated new generation firmware running on it atm. I was using the older firmware for a couple of days before I updated it and I can deffinately say that the newer firmware performs a lot better. The menu text is a bit too large with the new firmware but probably a bit too small with the old firmware. It would be nice if you could change the text size for your personal prference but sadly you can't.

---
Also I would just like to say that it did not include a power adapter to charge it. So it must be done via a usb cable plugged into a PC. Which isnt that uncommon with mp3 players these days but very annoying I think.

I've not really looked at these Zune players, but I might have a look in to them now I've read this.

There is also a nice Zune theme for Windows XP too (Just Google Windows Zune theme). Makes XP look much nicer.

Yeah I have been using the Zune XP theme for ages now. I used to use Royale Noir, then I came across the Zune Theme and I like it more.

Mate if its a 5-pin adapter, drop into dicksmith and grab a v3x mobile charger. They should be able to charge it just fine.

Nah its not the common 5pin mini usb unfortunately :( I have quite a few chargers of that type floating around my house. The Zune uses a unique usb connection (kinda like the ipod) So I have just been charging it via my PC, which isnt bad because I ussually add some new music to it when I charge it.

i have an error message that has been shown on my zune since about noon today and it is now 6:08. It has the zune picture small on the toip and it has a number 3 in a circle and it says please wait in 3 different languages... what do i do?

Hmmm sounds like it is attempting to update the firmware on the zune, which seeming as a new version of the firmware came out like yesterday it is very probable. Do you actually have an error message or code, or is it just frozen?

I was more a creative fan....but i'm shopping around for a new player....Zune is definitely worth a look at.

Thanks for the info:)

Yeah I still like my old Creative Zen MicroPhot better than my Zune. Pitty it died :( the only major thing I disslike about the zune is the ability to use it as removable storage.

I dont really like Creatives current lineup of mp3 players, they need to do a remake to the Zen Micro i reckon with a larger hard drive, or an update on the Vision M.

Yeah I saw somewhere that if you just edit a couple of entries in the registry it will show up as a removable storage device. I gave it a shot and failed, I dunno if this was just be not following instructions properly or not though.

And for that link to work I need to be a member of the zuneboards, which I'm not.

you should sign up for zuneboards. its a really nice place. they even have this thing where you can get free stuf for you zune and people there are making all kinds of games for the zune that are free, they work really great. if you have a zune, zuneboards is the perfect place to be. its a whole community for people with zunes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back