Microsoft's free Security Essentials software goes live

By Jos
Sep 29, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Following a year-long development phase and several months in limited public beta, Microsoft has finally released the full version of its anti-malware scanner today -- Microsoft Security Essentials. Formerly codenamed Morro, this free-of-charge replacement for OneCare is designed to provide consumers with real-time protection against Trojans, computer viruses, spyware and rootkits.

Read the whole story
  2. Nice to see another option for free security apps, but there seems to be too much hype around this product, most people on forums say it's the best antivirus ever and if i recall correctly, it uses the same engine as One Core, which ranked behind products like Avast, Avira, Bitdefender and F-Secure among others in the latest avcomparatives test.

I'll stick with Avira until i see some serious and independent testing on this software.
  3. RebelFlag

RebelFlag Newcomer, in training Posts: 46

I have been using this since it was in beta both at home and at work, and have had no issues with it at all. Granted I am pretty cautious about what I install on my computers and the locations I surf on the web. It is missing a few features which would be nice to have, being able to view the scan history for example, but as a free app with daily updates, I have found it to be a good program, and reliable virus/malware protection app.
  4. JDoors

JDoors Newcomer, in training Posts: 62

Liked what I saw, installed it, liked it even more, cancelled the big-name security subscription I've had, like, forever.

(Oh God, I'm depending on MS not to mess this up ...)
  5. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TechSpot Guru Posts: 802   +87

I have 70 days left on my OneCare trial, then I'll switch.
  6. compdata

compdata TechSpot Paladin Posts: 604

I have been using for over a month now and am very happy with MS on this one. Very clean product without the blot and annoyance of any of the other "free" virus protection Aps i have used. I prefer this even to any of the paid apps that i have used as well. This will be the last year i buy updated licenses for the network i manage for Norton. I will be switching all the computers to this great software!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.