TechSpot

Microsoft's Indian online store hacked, passwords and user data exposed

By Leeky
Feb 13, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft’s online retail store for India, operated by Indian company Quasar Media, remains offline today after hackers breached the website's defenses and stole user account information and passwords over the…

Read the whole story
  2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,912   +362

posting that picture is really not necessary, is it?
  3. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,496   +304

Well it kinda is, all those users should be changing their passwords anyway and the site is currently down.

All that data was un-encrypted, if Microsoft had been doing its job properly the data wouldn't have ended up on here in the first place.

All users would have had some kind of email sent to them to warn them, if the user doesn't do anything, more fool them?
  4. Actually it is, because it shows that microsoft keeps unencrypted user passwords.
  5. Microsoft’s online retail store for India, operated by Indian company Quasar Media ... how is this Microsoft's fault?
  6. TekGun

TekGun TS Enthusiast Posts: 157   +11

The store is not run by Microsoft, the store is owned and operated by a Indian company that sells MS stuff.
  7. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,912   +362

i mean, it just seems wierd that they would actually post the passwords without covering them, as many of those people might use that password for other services, too.
  8. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 4,378   +98

I considered it safe given that the full email addresses and usernames were not disclosed. As they stand, the passwords are worthless without the other credentials required to log into various services online. The information released in that article image is actually less information than would normally be released by Anonymous when they upload data to Pastebin, for example.

Also, it is important that people are aware that it was an Indian company Quasar Media that owned and operated the site, not Microsoft themselves. I can't imagine Microsoft being aware of unencrypted customer information prior to this incident, and I very much doubt they'd have allowed it to continue had they found out.
  9. 3DCGMODELER

3DCGMODELER TS Enthusiast Posts: 307   +18

I think they forgot to tell them .....
    " Oh, don't forget, to Encrypt the User data.!!"

Ya Think... Daaaa
  10. number 119... has the WORST password, (you can see it in the picture)

email = first&lastname
    pastword = first&lastname

dafaq?
  11. Chazz

Chazz TS Enthusiast Posts: 633   +60

A lot of those email addresses can be figured out by looking at the other data. 119 and 130 shows that your attempt to censor blocks out just about 5 characters. So most of the email addresses can be figured out anyway using their first and last name from reference. I'd atleast censor their last name too.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.