Microsoft's Kinect 2 will be able to read lips and detect your mood

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft’s second generation Kinect motion sensing device is said to be so accurate it can read lips. The accessory will also be able to interpret voice pitch and facial characteristics to determine what mood the player is in, sources have told EuroGamer.

To achieve such feats, the device will feature improved motion sensing and voice recognition capabilities. Kinect 2 will also connect to the Xbox in a different way that current generation hardware.

The original Kinect, innovative as it is, features a depth sensor set at 30 frames per second and a resolution of only 320 x 240. These limits were set in place because the USB interface it uses to connect to the Xbox also has to share bandwidth with other USB devices. As such, Kinect only uses around 15MB of bandwidth instead of the 35MB or so that the interface is capable of.

"It can be cabled straight through on any number of technologies that just take phenomenally high res data straight to the main processor and straight to the main RAM and ask, what do you want to do with it," one source told EuroGamer.

If true, Kinect 2 would likely have its own connection on the front or back of the new Xbox machine, bypassing any potential USB ports along the way.

We reported earlier this month that Microsoft could be preparing two new gaming consoles to replace the Xbox 360. A budget-friendly offering would be positioned as a set-top box and would be ideal for casual gaming and media streaming. A second system, rumored to feature a six-core CPU and AMD graphics, would be targeted to hardcore gamers.

Permalink to story.

The lip reading would be nice to avoid the whole problem of voice commands when watching TV and stuff, but on the big part, yeah, kinda creepy.

Wasn't Big Brother able to read your lips through the screen in the book?

Yes, I'm sure this insidious new device will force your xbox to keep its internet connection on when you think you've turned it off, and it will proceed to broadcast all your private moments when you thought the camera wasn't looking.

thx 1138 anyone?

kinect: how are you feeling today mr <x>?
<x>: okay, have a bit of a headache though.
kinect: administering Tylenol, into your blood stream! feel better soon.

I always laugh when I see paranoid people talk about "big brother." I'd be more worried about facebook selling my info to special interest groups. Even if "big brother" was watching all that information would just go into the hands of the people paying for their campaign. Those people can already get your info legally, just read the EULA on any website you register on.

Occupy some knowledge... or rather be occupied by some knowledge.
/thegovernmentknowsimontothemsotheyarewatchingmethroughthecameraonmycellphone

I have figured out a great way of seeing if anyone is watching you through your kinect. Grab a life like doll (preferably a baby sized one), and shoot it in front of your kinect. Then wait and see what happens.

yRaz said:
I always laugh when I see paranoid people talk about "big brother." I'd be more worried about facebook selling my info to special interest groups. Even if "big brother" was watching all that information would just go into the hands of the people paying for their campaign. Those people can already get your info legally, just read the EULA on any website you register on.

Occupy some knowledge... or rather be occupied by some knowledge.
/thegovernmentknowsimontothemsotheyarewatchingmethroughthecameraonmycellphone

There is quite a big difference between selling the stuff you willingly post on FB, and MS watching what you're doing through your Kinect.

hmmm I wish they would just make something useful for the Kinect I already own and never use since most things for it are garbage.

gwailo247 said:

There is quite a big difference between selling the stuff you willingly post on FB, and MS watching what you're doing through your Kinect.

http://www.ecrater.com/p/254234/aluminum-foil-deflector-beanie-kit

I have a few of those. The thing I find great about that model is that you can easily mount a mobile phone jammer on it. At $9.99 each it's a great buy if you consider all the brainwaves it will be blocking from big brother. Privacy doesn't have a price IMO.

While I'm sure MS has no interest in watching people through the kinect, you can always use the technique seen at 1:05 if you're that paranoid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1Vyhve9gtg

I'd just do the smart thing and not buy one. It's all novelty anyway.

You guys complain too much. Do you not find this the least bit interesting? Personally, I think this is pretty cool.

When it will read my mind I will buy it; until then .. waiting for the next update ;)

Back