Microsoft's latest build for Windows 11 offers slew of new features

emorphy

Staff
Why it matters: The latest preview of Windows 11 has reached the Canary Channel. It includes features such as AI-enhanced audio, support for USB 80Gbps, and new photo editing functionality. While the changes are not final, it is insightful to see what Microsoft thinks is essential for its latest generation of Windows.

Microsoft released Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 26040 to the Canary Channel. The beta has several changes, including AI-enhanced audio, select support for USB 80Gbps, and new photo editing functionality when using the snipping tool.

The "Remote Capture" feature introduced to the Phone Link app last year has moved to the snipping tool. Remote Capture allows users to access and edit their most recent photos and screenshots from an Android mobile device in the snipping tool on a PC. It delivers an instant notification on the PC whenever a new photo or screenshot is captured on the Android device.

To enable Remote Capture, go to Settings > Bluetooth & devices > Mobile devices and choose "Manage devices" to allow the PC to access the Android phone. The PC will get a Cross-Device Experience Host update in the Microsoft Store, which is necessary for the feature to work.

Microsoft is also expanding Voice Clarity, which up until now has been available only on Surface devices. Voice Clarity cancels echo, suppresses background noise, and reduces reverberation in real-time using rudimentary AI models. The on-by-default feature supports x64 and Arm64 CPUs in apps using Communications Signal Processing Mode, such as Phone Link and WhatsApp.

Build 26040 also supports the latest generation USB standard, USB 80Gbps, for select devices with Intel Core 14th Gen HX-series mobile processors, such as the new Razer Blade 18. Microsoft notes it is the first major version update of the USB4 standard, increasing performance from 40Gbps to 80Gbps and enabling the next generation of high-performance displays, storage, and connectivity. It is also backward compatible with peripherals built for older generations of USB and Thunderbolt.

Narrator gains a new keyboard command for navigating between the images or graphics on a screen or page. Users can now tap the keys "G" or "Shift + G" to navigate forward or backward between images in Scan mode (Narrator key + spacebar). The build also improved recognition of text in images, including handwriting, as well as improvements to overall image descriptions. To try out this functionality, navigate to the image and press the Narrator key + CTRL + D key combination when the focus is on an image.

There are also several changes to Windows Local Administrator Password Solution, or LAPS, with new features, including automatic account management, passphrase support, and image rollback detection. Check out the full list of features on Microsoft's blog.

Permalink to story.

There's still one key feature missing - reverting to Windows 10, one that I'd love to avail of.

If you are still on Windows 10 and consider an upgrade - stay the f. out, trust me on this!

Stay out of the FREE UPGRADE. Its loaded with bloatware and crap.... remember, nothing is free in life..
If you buy the professional upgrade, its OK. I've had it for 6 months with no issues to any legacy software.

Stay out of the FREE UPGRADE. Its loaded with bloatware and crap.... remember, nothing is free in life..
If you buy the professional upgrade, its OK. I've had it for 6 months with no issues to any legacy software.

I would assume most TS users who are older use a Pro version of windows - one is they know how to get it cheaper , or through work get it free . Even if do not use the pro features , if gives you more control . Businesses don't want all that telemetry stuff in their face and auto update etc

There's still one key feature missing - reverting to Windows 10, one that I'd love to avail of.

If you are still on Windows 10 and consider an upgrade - stay the f. out, trust me on this!

Still on Win 10 and stay on it will maybe look at Windows 12.

On a side note Linux development has been going full steam ahead lately. There have been quite a bit of improvements to Linux which seem to improve game performance. Hopefully it'll get good enough that one day Windows will be an afterthought.

Does Notepad finally have word-wrap ??
You must be Rip Van Winkle because wordwrap has been a feature of notepad for many years. Even the notepad in Windows Vista has wordwrap and it was released in 2007. Not sure if wordwrap was a feature in notepad prior to that and I'm not inclined to even look it up.

Always focusing on the buzzwords and forgeting about optimization and bugs... If only Linux had support and performance for most games like Windows I would switch asap...

I'm really considering trying tiny11 for gaming, who knows? Thanks Microsft for making my OS worse.

On a side note Linux development has been going full steam ahead lately. There have been quite a bit of improvements to Linux which seem to improve game performance. Hopefully it'll get good enough that one day Windows will be an afterthought.
It is good enough for me to not having a need to get back to Windows for a more than a year, and it simply do the job well. There is still need for better support of 3rd party (streaming service resolution is still a joke) but OS as is, is good enough to simply use.

Wake me up when MS gets to the 21st century and adds actual colour management along with 10bit colour on desktop.

Back