AMD Ryzen 8000 Hawk Point APUs could natively support USB4 80Gbps on some AM5 motherboards

DragonSlayer101

Staff
What just happened? AMD Hawk Point APUs are expected to go official on January 31, and a slew of leaks over the past few months have already revealed several key details. The latest reports claim that the components will offer additional I/O capabilities on select AM5 motherboards.

Some AM5 motherboards designed for Ryzen 8000 "Hawk Point" processors might come with support for USB4 transmission, writes Benchlife. Gigabyte is said to be one of the companies looking to implement the new feature in some of its next-gen AM5 boards, like the AORUS B650E series, making these the first AMD motherboards to ship with USB4 support.

It is worth noting that while AMD is expected to implement support for USB4 transmission with its upcoming APU lineup, Intel implemented the functionality years ago with its 11th-gen Core processors. While some existing AMD boards can already support USB4 functions through add-in cards from companies like MSI, this is the first time that Team Red is implementing native support for the feature.

Staying with USB4 news, Microsoft is finally testing support for USB4 Version 2.0 standard on Windows 11. The company last week rolled out Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 23615 to the Dev Channel with support for the new USB standard that supports blazing fast speeds of up to 80Gbps. It is the first major upgrade to the USB4 standard and doubles the performance of the previous generation, which supported only up to 40Gbps data transfer.

As explained by Microsoft, USB 80Gbps support will initially only be available on select PCs powered by Intel's latest 14th-gen Core HX-series mobile processors, which were announced at CES 2024 last week. The new Razer Blade 18, which was unveiled ahead of CES earlier this month, will be among the first devices to get the super-fast transfer speed.

Another major new feature in the Insider Preview Build is the option to launch Copilot automatically every time on Windows startup, although it could face massive protests from Windows 11 users if it makes it through to the stable build. The latest Insider Preview build also allows users to share URLs directly with apps like Gmail, WhatsApp, X (formerly Twitter), Facebook, and LinkedIn.

Permalink to story.

The only APU I care about is the one in the minisform v3 and there hasn't been any new information on that in months. The worst part is that it was at CES and I could see it in the background on many videos of people at their booth but NOONE talked about it.

It's probably the most interesting product minisform has coming but noone talked about it. I'm not exaggerating is when I say I will pay whatever amount of money for the maxed out version as I plan on replacing my desktop with it. I suspect that it supports eGPUs so I should be able to get 5-6 years out of it. It doesn't have an ethernet port so I guess I'll have to turn on wifi and use MAC addressing. Wifi is a no-no for me, I wired my whole house with CAT6.

<p>It is worth noting that while AMD is expected to implement support for USB4 transmission with its upcoming APU lineup, Intel implemented the functionality years ago with its 11th-gen Core processors. While some existing AMD boards can already support USB4 functions through add-in cards from companies like MSI, this is the first time that Team Red is implementing native support for the feature.</p>
AMD natively supports USB4 since January 2022 on Rembrandt mobility chips 6000 and there are USB4 ports at 40 Gbps on several laptops and mini-PCs. I have one at home - Asus Vivobook Pro x16 OLED with 6800H. As they did not release desktop APU since Zen3 5000, native USB4 has not come to desktop until now, with 8000G Phoenix APUs.

It is not going to be 80 Gbps in this generation. Please corect the article. There are two USB4 ports at 40 Gbps natively supported on APU die, so this is what motherboard vendors could expose. Please check the spec of 8700G on AMD's website.

Even if motherboard vendors provide traces and port for 80 Gbps signal, which I do not think it would happen, the APU itself supports 40 Gbps, including DP 2.1 at 40 Gbps.

Intel has had native support for 40 Gbps on Thunderbolt 3 on Gen10 Ice Lake and then Thunderbolt 4 on Gen11 Tiger Lake on laptop/NUC only.

Intel has NEVER natively supported Thunderbolt interface on desktop CPUs. Desktop motherboards provide Thunderbolt ports via separate chip, Titan Ridge or Maple Ridge, installed on motherboard. Even some AMD boards have those chips with 40 Gbps ports, for example Asus Pro Art B550, which I also have at home.

My semi-new Ryzen 7840 APU laptop supports USB4 & my 1 year old AM5 Hero board, also supports USB4.

Last edited:
USB4 blazing fast while there's barely any good USB3 storage devices that use all 10Gbps bandwith... Perhaps when USB6 comes out and USB4 become common place on devices then I'll care about it.

Back