Microsoft's MS-DOS turns 30 this week

By Shawn Knight
Jul 28, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Thirty years ago this week, Microsoft set in motion a series of events that would make them the largest name in personal computing and its founders some of the richest…

Read the whole story
  2. Kralnor

Kralnor TS Rookie Posts: 36

Hip hip hooray!
  3. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Evangelist Posts: 537   +152

The scarier part is that DOS is still sort of used. The repair console on the windows xp install disk is based off of MS-DOS.
  4. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TS Enthusiast Posts: 544

What works well, works well. What worked well, was working en-lieu for its expectations. Hip hip hooray for DOS!
  5. Wish I would have bought some MS stock back then. I had 10k sitting in the bank and was going to do it, but the wife gave me second thoughts and i never pulled the trigger.....she is ex-wife now !
  6. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,551   +595

I miss DOS in a way. When using it, at least you felt you were in total command of what was going on with your computer. Now with Windows, I don't even know what half of the 100 processes are running in the background.
  7. i've got an unopened package of DOS.. 6.1 I think..
  8. I totally feel for you. I really miss DOS for the simple fact of knowing exactly every single thing running in my system. The only thing I don't miss is the 640k base memory. I would gladly still use DOS if I could get my job done to be perfectly honest. I surely don't mind typing instead of clicking.
  9. I don't miss the non-reentrancy either.
  10. jafo818

jafo818 TS Rookie

I saw a DOS screen at a local McDonald's drive through the other night... They still run it!
  11. g4mer

g4mer TS Maniac Posts: 310

Lot's of shops and firms still use MS-DOS look-a-like programs because they're easy and simple to use.
  12. I remember when I installed for first time the windows 95 (in which you didn’t had to type “win” for start the windows shell like in 3.11) I was search inside the autoexec.bat for delete the “win” command. And I was very upset because I didn’t found it :)
  13. i started my computer career learning dos and still use it for customers who are
    running a dos program called GarageKeeper for service stations. windows 7 is
    no problem and xp was even better. i love it and keep all the tools including
    my microsoft complier. i think dos or some form of it will always be with us
    untill the big softftware houses (microsoft and the rest) produce a whole new
  14. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,937   +157

something like that, i first remember pounding on my granpas key board as a kid just to see it type out letters, i thought it was pretty cool at 5 years old that I could press a button on keyboard and it would appear on a screen
  15. CP/M operating system and founded Digital Research, Inc. WAS GARY KiLDALL
  16. So even MS's original OS was created by someone else. I find that majorly ironic. Innovation has never been strong with them.
  17. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,682   +86

+1 Loka
    But hey in those days I spent lots of time troubleshooting stuff (which we now take for granted), but that was nothing out of ordinary as even the Macs of that era could be a major pita.

@Last Guest
    For example, Not everything in the original Mac OS was 'innovated' by apple - by the way, most of its ideas came about from Xerox Alto project (minus the final UI and few other things), for which Jobs gave them stock options of the company. A little reference from history just in case.
  18. Archean, did you even see the word "Apple" in my post ? Or did I come on as a happy Apple fanboy who bashes MS first chance he gets ? I don't own a single Apple product and don't intend to buy any soon, cause they're just overpriced.

You're probably employed by MS then :)
  19. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,682   +86

Sorry I didn't intend it to sound that way, accordingly corrections has been made.
  20. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,142   +483

yea and they basically stole it from the guy
  21. emmzo

emmzo TS Booster Posts: 111   +14

Everybody steals, look at the patent lawsuits these days and that has been since forever, but that`s not the point. Gates refined it and marketed it otherwise the guy who made this would have probably still use the code today in his basement for some obscure research project.
  22. That feeling of your DOS screen maximising on my good old 14" CRT when I played Wolfenstein 3D... awesome!
  23. free4rm

free4rm TS Rookie Posts: 19

So hard to remember that DOS syntax now days!
  24. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,467   +1,760

Ya know Tom, if you have a hundred processes going, that computer is running you, not the other way around! (Just Kidding).
  25. Fancy coming across this. I still keep deltree and format in the root directory from an old set of 6.22 dics. Very helpful when windows says you are not authorised to delete files when you are the admin. Windows still has its little faults.