TechSpot

Microsoft's PC gaming and entertainment division chief splits after less than six months

By Shawn Knight
Feb 13, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft hired Jason Holtman, Valve's former director of business development, last summer to run the Redmond-based company's PC gaming and entertainment division. Talk at the time suggested this was just the boost that Microsoft needed to revive interest in PC...

Read more

2. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,392   +329

He probably saw their roadmap and business practices and said "Are you F@*($^G kidding me... You guys arent doing a single thing to make pc gaming better your trying to make the console better but not the pc, cya I am going" Wouldnt have blamed him either.

waqasr, H3llion, TomSEA and 1 other person like this.
  3. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

Microsoft's PC road map probably showed all PC gaming replaced by Xbox One.

They killed Games for Windows. The Windows 8+ OS don't have a gaming Experience Index in plain sight any longer. And you can't use an Xbox One controller on the PC, instead Microsoft suggests the Xbox 360. Yeah, dead end job.

waqasr, H3llion and TomSEA like this.
  4. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,559   +598

100% agree with wastedkill and 9Nails assessment. After he got behind Microsoft's closed doors and saw what their game plan was (pun intended), I'm sure he said, "no frickin' way," and beat feet for the nearest door. I think it's a stretch of anyone's imagination to believe that MS is even remotely interested in PC gaming with all they have invested in XBox One.

H3llion likes this.
  5. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,260   +223

Linux, our savior (or Steam OS that is). It seems they saw the "market gap" and they are developing for it. Microsoft needs to "die" ... It's desktop market is becoming just atrocious.

6. TS-56336

TS-56336 TS Addict Posts: 609   +109

Microsoft hasn't catered to PC gaming in a decade. If he was coming from a PC Gaming orientated company, then I assume that he didn't like the way Microsoft ran the department.

7. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,631   +432

^All speculation. I'll wait for the official word before I start lighting torches.

8. I want Age of Empires 4 :)

9. Completely agree with everyone above...MS has no intention of doing anything except killing any possible remnants of PC gaming. Jason Holtman saw this after getting on the inside and was like..."No Fing Way!"