TechSpot

Microsoft's secret OS project Midori is still alive and moving forward

By Shawn Knight
Nov 8, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft is most commonly associated with developing Windows although few people know that Redmond has also been working on another operating in secrecy for several years. It's been more than four years since we last heard about project Midori but...

Read more

2. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,973   +587

....tired from the enforced OS "revolution" from MS... their interest in selling now far outweighs everything else.

The recent cancellation of SP2 for Win7 is just one of many proves to it - what if, God forbids, Win7 improves so it gets in the way of selling Win8?! - What a charade!

hammer2085 likes this.
  3. psycros

psycros TS Booster Posts: 762   +252

You left out how their also going backwards in OS design ;)

hammer2085 likes this.
  4. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,110   +45

I dont see how learning something new is considering "going backwards" but that's just my opinion.

treeski likes this.
  5. RH00D

RH00D TS Addict Posts: 412   +106

Agreed. People are just ignorant of change. It's funny because when MS first went to the start menu style UI people moaned and complained that it was stupid, etc, etc, and that they wanted their 3.1 UI back and now we're seeing the same in reverse.

m4a4 likes this.
  6. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,406   +1,595

Soooo, MS is going backward!!

7. RH00D

RH00D TS Addict Posts: 412   +106

Just because a UI concept is old doesn't mean it's bad. In fact, most of the methodologies used in modern societies are the exact same as the ones used for thousands of years, only the technology changes.

8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,406   +1,595

I agree! What I don't agree with is MS ignoring user wants and desires.

9. They took out the unnecessary start menu and gave you something WAY better. Yet I still never see it mentioned in a review of W8.

Bring your mouse to the very bottom left side corner of your screen (no not the start screen popup but the supreme edge of the screen!) and right click.

You get a menu that has everything you could want. I think this amazing feature is completely overlooked by so many people.

10. The problem with the Windows 8 UI is not that it's drastically different (it is) and it’s not just that it’s a change and people don’t like change, it’s that it is pushing something on people and forcing them to go in Microsoft’s direction. We’ve gone from the ‘Customer is always right’ to ‘Steve knows best’. If Microsoft was catering to its customers, it would have listened to them and come up with a more hybrid approach, something that appeals to current customers and future ones. They could have easily kept the Windows 7 style desktop and added the touch style Metro Start screen. Microsoft is forcing it’s way, so they can sell you more things and monopolize the environment. They want a Microsoft world, where everything you touch is a Microsoft product, Xbox/TV, Phone, Tablet, Laptop, Desktop, Servers, Cloud, etc. This is fine and dandy, then sell the customer on the idea and don’t just force it down our throats. Apple already uses this style of forcing things but making them seem cool, now Microsoft wants to clone themselves to be another Apple, without the cool factor. Linux offers choice, which is why after 25 years of Microsoft I’m moving to Linux.

11. Chazz

Chazz TS Maniac Posts: 640   +60

Wtf?! This article has nothing to do with windows 8. Come on guys.

12. pmcardle

pmcardle TS Rookie Posts: 99   +17

Wow - I never knew this existed, thanks...

13. "Wow - I never knew this existed, thanks..."

Good thing you found it....

14. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Enthusiast Posts: 811   +91

Maybe they are taking a page out of Sony's book :p

cliffordcooley likes this.
  15. Please explain how the Start Screen is "way better" than the Start menu.
    - There are no Jump Lists,
    - No recent items list,
    - No most frequently used items listed,
    - No unified search. Do you like to type and press 'enter'? If you use Windows 8, you may have to get used to typing, clicking on one search category (out of three), and then press 'enter'.

There are some advantages with the Start Screen, however.
    - Item grouping,
    - More screen estate,
    - Live Tiles,

Then there's the issue of the screen interrupting your workflow...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.