TechSpot

Microsoft's SkyDrive now hosts over one billion Office documents

By Shawn Knight
Feb 8, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Earlier today Microsoft revealed that its cloud-based SkyDrive service now plays host to more than 1 billion documents. There’s little doubt that the service saw a massive increase in use thanks to its tie-in with the recently released Office 365.

Read more

2. avoidz

avoidz TS Maniac Posts: 454   +54

Can't say I'd trust any of the "cloud" services with any important documents. It's only a matter of time until a security breach happens, based on previous experiences.

3. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,973   +587

Good for them. How many of those documents were spawned by MS employees and those forced to use it through corporate policy enforcement?

Boiling in IT, I know nobody who would even consider using it. 'Nough said.

4. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

SkyDrive is not used by IT as it is a consumer-grade. Corporations use SharePoint.

Nice try though.

Archean and treeski like this.
  5. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,062   +77

With this update last reason to have dropbox account is no more (at least for me), so I'll move most of my stuff to SkyDrive and being an old user I have 25GB limit :).

6. AndrewZar

AndrewZar TS Rookie

And yet, it is mostly useless for teams. The local sync doesn't even work for anyone put the primary user.

7. Sphynx

Sphynx TS Rookie Posts: 35

That's why you should always encrypt your files before uploading them to any cloud storage service, using your own keys that are kept secret from the cloud. Even if an outsider does access your stored files, encryption renders files effectively unreadable to hackers.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.